Tracker2 beta firmware

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
      I've just uploaded the latest firmware built with Garmin fleet
      management support for beta testing. It'll only show up in the config
      program, when you hit the 'web' button.

      To use it, just configure for Garmin mode as usual. But BE WARNED: As
      soon as you plug in the GPS unit (ok, within about 6 seconds anyway)
      it'll enable fleet management mode and the main menu will have the top
      item replaced with 'Dispatch'. It'll also complain if the T2 isn't
      hooked up. The only way to get OUT of dispatch mode is to press a
      corner of the screen while turning on the power, and then erasing all
      user data.

      The T2 ACT light should start blinking green to indicate it's getting a
      good fix. To send messages, go to 'Dispatch', 'Messaging', 'Create
      Message'. Start the message with a '-' to address it to a specific
      callsign, and follow the callsign with a space:

      -n1vg-2 This is a test.

      To reply to the last received message (assuming the T2 hasn't been reset
      since then) just enter the text and hit 'send'. This should keep QSOs
      as efficient as possible.

      To send a command to the T2 itself, start it with '!'. For example:

      !TXDELAY 24

      All responses from the T2 will come back as messages. Whenever a
      message comes in, the unit will ding and show a mail icon. You can tap
      that, or bring up the inbox in the messaging menu to read a message.

      Scott
    • Kevin Ratcliff
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
        On Feb 7, 2008 10:52 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
        > I've just uploaded the latest firmware built with Garmin fleet
        > management support for beta testing. It'll only show up in the config
        > program, when you hit the 'web' button.

        Awesome! I have my FMI cable from Garmin now and will try to borrow a
        OT2m from another ham in town. Then I'll try it with a SP 2720.

        > To use it, just configure for Garmin mode as usual. But BE WARNED: As
        > soon as you plug in the GPS unit (ok, within about 6 seconds anyway)
        > it'll enable fleet management mode and the main menu will have the top
        > item replaced with 'Dispatch'. It'll also complain if the T2 isn't
        > hooked up. The only way to get OUT of dispatch mode is to press a
        > corner of the screen while turning on the power, and then erasing all
        > user data.

        What are the side effects of being in Dispatch mode, other than it
        saying 'Dispatch' and complaining if the T2 isn't attached? Would I
        ever need to get out of Dispatch mode to use the normal StreetPilot
        functions?

        Thanks!

        Kevin
        KB9MQU
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
          > What are the side effects of being in Dispatch mode, other than it
          > saying 'Dispatch' and complaining if the T2 isn't attached? Would I
          > ever need to get out of Dispatch mode to use the normal StreetPilot
          > functions?

          All of the normal functions are there, as far as I can tell, but some of
          them move down a menu level. The 'communication problem' icon in the
          menu when you don't have the T2 connected can be annoying.

          Scott
        • kc9gqr
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
            Which Garmin Car GPS's can you use with this system?

            -- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

            > I've just uploaded the latest firmware built with Garmin fleet
            > management support for beta testing. It'll only show up in the
            config
            > program, when you hit the 'web' button.
            >
            > To use it, just configure for Garmin mode as usual. But BE
            WARNED: As
            > soon as you plug in the GPS unit (ok, within about 6 seconds
            anyway)
            > it'll enable fleet management mode and the main menu will have the
            top
            > item replaced with 'Dispatch'. It'll also complain if the T2
            isn't
            > hooked up. The only way to get OUT of dispatch mode is to press a
            > corner of the screen while turning on the power, and then erasing
            all
            > user data.
            >
            > The T2 ACT light should start blinking green to indicate it's
            getting a
            > good fix. To send messages, go
            to 'Dispatch', 'Messaging', 'Create
            > Message'. Start the message with a '-' to address it to a
            specific
            > callsign, and follow the callsign with a space:
            >
            > -n1vg-2 This is a test.
            >
            > To reply to the last received message (assuming the T2 hasn't been
            reset
            > since then) just enter the text and hit 'send'. This should keep
            QSOs
            > as efficient as possible.
            >
            > To send a command to the T2 itself, start it with '!'. For
            example:

            > !TXDELAY 24
            >
            > All responses from the T2 will come back as messages. Whenever a
            > message comes in, the unit will ding and show a mail icon. You
            can tap
            > that, or bring up the inbox in the messaging menu to read a
            message.

            > Scott

          • N6NU
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
              The following Garmin products support FleetManagement:

              http://www8.garmin.com/solutions/pnd/supportedproducts.jsp

              Andreas, N6NU

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
                The Nuvi 350 is the only one I'm sure of for the moment, at least as far
                as waypoint creation goes.

                Any of the models that support the fleet management interface should
                work for messaging, and also for plain old position data. Here's a list
                of models that support FMI:

              • jkelly@home
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
                  Hi Scott,

                  I am going to get started with the T2-135 with the Alinco
                  and a Nuvi 350.  Can you talk a bit about the hookup/setup?

                  I ordered the Garmin cable - should I go into the Alinco
                  via the front data jack or the rear?  Would everything else
                  work the same as the OT2M?

                  thanks,

                  Jeff
                  KT2K
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
                    Jeff KT2K wrote...

                    > I am going to get started with the T2-135 with the Alinco
                    > and a Nuvi 350. Can you talk a bit about the hookup/setup?
                    > I ordered the Garmin cable - should I go into the Alinco
                    > via the front data jack or the rear? Would everything else
                    > work the same as the OT2M?

                    It would have to be on the rear connector. The front connector doesn't
                    output any data. You will need ground, TX data and RX data. Is getting
                    the Nuvi into FMI as easy as going into a menu in the GPS receiver...
                    or does the Nuvi just "know" when the cable is plugged in? I should
                    download the manual in anticipation of getting one!

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
                      Only the rear panel will work for a Garmin, since it's a bidirectional
                      protocol. It's wired DCE instead of DTE, so it should be 2 - White, 3 -
                      Yellow, 5 - Black on a male DB9.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2008
                        The Nuvi does know when a serial cable is plugged in, but that doesn't
                        put it in FMI mode. That takes a packet from the tracker. That packet
                        also tells it that the link is working, and the tracker has to send the
                        packet every time it's reconnected. Rather than try to keep track of
                        that, the tracker just sends the packet every few seconds when Garmin
                        mode is enabled, since it doesn't hurt anything to keep sending it.

                        As soon as it gets the first packet, it changes the menu layout, and it
                        doesn't change back unless you totally wipe the device.

                        Scott