Re: [tracker2] Nuvi!!!

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
      Go get the mini-B to serial pigtail cable (I think I posted the part
      number earlier), wire it up 2 - Yellow, 3 - White, 5 - Black on a female
      DB9, and plug it in to the rear DB9 of the radio and the side mini-B
      connector on the Nuvi. Get the new firmware (I'll post it soon as a
      beta) and set AMODE GARMIN. That's it.

      Be warned, as soon as you plug in the Nuvi, it'll enable fleet
      management mode and your first menu item will become 'Dispatch' instead
      of 'Places' or whatever it was before. That menu item moves down into
      the Dispatch menu. That stays across power cycles, and possibly resets
      - I haven't tried a full hardware reset yet, only a 'restore defaults',
      and that didn't change it back.

      I've got message queue support working, so you can see if the message
      you sent was ack'd by the recipient, and when. It'll also queue
      multiple messages and send them in sequence.

      I'm going to ask Garmin for a non-receipt status feature. Right now you
      can only indicate that a message was received, or not respond at all, in
      which case the queue hangs. For fleet dispatch that's probably to be
      expected, but we need to be able to report failure for an individual
      message.

      Scott

      Clay Jackson wrote:

      > Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.
      >
      > I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
      > now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
      > go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
      > only online.
      >
      > So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
      > interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Clay
      > N7QNM

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
        Hi Scott,

        I wonder if the T2 can be installed into a eeePC. Hmm ...

        http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades

        I would leave out the GPS though.

        Best regards,
        Fred
      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
          Why leave out the GPS? Put in one of the OEM modules like this one:

          http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8234

          and then you can have GPS in the machine when you want it, and still have the external
          antenna when you're in the car. Though that said, I have one of those modules in the
          portable aprs tracker I'm building, and even inside buildings it's able to acquire a
          satellite fix from a cold start... These new chip sets are amazing when you're
          experienced with the old (~1994) generation stuff.

          Patrick

          On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:18:44 -0500, Fred Hillhouse wrote

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
            That's pretty cool. I do have a bunch of old C6-size T2 prototype
            boards on hand if anyone ever wants to solder one up... I can probably
            find the docs for it.

            Scott