Nuvi!!!

  • Clay Jackson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.

      I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
      now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
      go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
      only online.

      So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
      interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?

      Thanks!

      Clay
      N7QNM
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
        Go get the mini-B to serial pigtail cable (I think I posted the part
        number earlier), wire it up 2 - Yellow, 3 - White, 5 - Black on a female
        DB9, and plug it in to the rear DB9 of the radio and the side mini-B
        connector on the Nuvi. Get the new firmware (I'll post it soon as a
        beta) and set AMODE GARMIN. That's it.

        Be warned, as soon as you plug in the Nuvi, it'll enable fleet
        management mode and your first menu item will become 'Dispatch' instead
        of 'Places' or whatever it was before. That menu item moves down into
        the Dispatch menu. That stays across power cycles, and possibly resets
        - I haven't tried a full hardware reset yet, only a 'restore defaults',
        and that didn't change it back.

        I've got message queue support working, so you can see if the message
        you sent was ack'd by the recipient, and when. It'll also queue
        multiple messages and send them in sequence.

        I'm going to ask Garmin for a non-receipt status feature. Right now you
        can only indicate that a message was received, or not respond at all, in
        which case the queue hangs. For fleet dispatch that's probably to be
        expected, but we need to be able to report failure for an individual
        message.

        Scott

        Clay Jackson wrote:

        > Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.
        >
        > I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
        > now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
        > go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
        > only online.
        >
        > So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
        > interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Clay
        > N7QNM

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
          Hi Scott,

          I wonder if the T2 can be installed into a eeePC. Hmm ...

          http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades

          I would leave out the GPS though.

          Best regards,
          Fred
        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
            Why leave out the GPS? Put in one of the OEM modules like this one:

            http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8234

            and then you can have GPS in the machine when you want it, and still have the external
            antenna when you're in the car. Though that said, I have one of those modules in the
            portable aprs tracker I'm building, and even inside buildings it's able to acquire a
            satellite fix from a cold start... These new chip sets are amazing when you're
            experienced with the old (~1994) generation stuff.

            Patrick

            On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:18:44 -0500, Fred Hillhouse wrote

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
              That's pretty cool. I do have a bunch of old C6-size T2 prototype
              boards on hand if anyone ever wants to solder one up... I can probably
              find the docs for it.

              Scott