Re: Wow with Nuvi

  • nancetx
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
      Scott,

      Thank you for your reply and helpful info!

      I have the Garmin Nuvi 650.

      Nancy
      K5NAA
    • Clay Jackson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
        Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.

        I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
        now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
        go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
        only online.

        So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
        interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?

        Thanks!

        Clay
        N7QNM
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
          Go get the mini-B to serial pigtail cable (I think I posted the part
          number earlier), wire it up 2 - Yellow, 3 - White, 5 - Black on a female
          DB9, and plug it in to the rear DB9 of the radio and the side mini-B
          connector on the Nuvi. Get the new firmware (I'll post it soon as a
          beta) and set AMODE GARMIN. That's it.

          Be warned, as soon as you plug in the Nuvi, it'll enable fleet
          management mode and your first menu item will become 'Dispatch' instead
          of 'Places' or whatever it was before. That menu item moves down into
          the Dispatch menu. That stays across power cycles, and possibly resets
          - I haven't tried a full hardware reset yet, only a 'restore defaults',
          and that didn't change it back.

          I've got message queue support working, so you can see if the message
          you sent was ack'd by the recipient, and when. It'll also queue
          multiple messages and send them in sequence.

          I'm going to ask Garmin for a non-receipt status feature. Right now you
          can only indicate that a message was received, or not respond at all, in
          which case the queue hangs. For fleet dispatch that's probably to be
          expected, but we need to be able to report failure for an individual
          message.

          Scott

          Clay Jackson wrote:

          > Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.
          >
          > I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
          > now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
          > go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
          > only online.
          >
          > So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
          > interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Clay
          > N7QNM

        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
            Hi Scott,

            I wonder if the T2 can be installed into a eeePC. Hmm ...

            http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades

            I would leave out the GPS though.

            Best regards,
            Fred
          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
              Why leave out the GPS? Put in one of the OEM modules like this one:

              http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8234

              and then you can have GPS in the machine when you want it, and still have the external
              antenna when you're in the car. Though that said, I have one of those modules in the
              portable aprs tracker I'm building, and even inside buildings it's able to acquire a
              satellite fix from a cold start... These new chip sets are amazing when you're
              experienced with the old (~1994) generation stuff.

              Patrick

              On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:18:44 -0500, Fred Hillhouse wrote

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
                That's pretty cool. I do have a bunch of old C6-size T2 prototype
                boards on hand if anyone ever wants to solder one up... I can probably
                find the docs for it.

                Scott