Re: [tracker2] Wow with Nuvi

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
      > My equipment: VX-R7, Nuvi 600 series, Garmin X10 (do I wish someone
      > would get bluetooth with a tracker and radio) and that's it. I already
      > have the CT-91 cable.

      Which model is the Nuvi specifically? The Garmin site lists a few
      models that are supported. I'll be very interested in hearing how it
      works with the larger models.

      > I've been looking at the posts on the OT+ and now reading on the
      > Tracker2. Which tracker is the question?

      Well, the OT1+ won't ever have support for the Garmin binary protocol,
      due to space restrictions. So if you're going to use a Nuvi, the T2 is
      the only choice.

      > The fact that Scott is working with the Nuvi is one reason I'm not
      > looking at the TinyTrak3 or 4.

      I noticed that the TT4 is shipping now. Interesting that the website
      doesn't say WHICH of the planned features are actually working yet!

      > What cable or GPS receiver or other items should I be considering?

      Well, I've got roughly a palette load of the ADS-GM1 GPS receivers, so
      feel free to stock up on those. =] I think the VX-7R takes the
      threaded connector, which I've got in stock, but I don't have finished
      tracker cables. You can get those from RPC Electronics.

      I may soon have more VX-170 style cables than I really wanted - I've had
      so many requests for a version that can be used for cloning that I
      requested exactly that from the factory. After going back and forth
      several times, it seemed that they finally got the idea that I wanted
      all four conductors hooked up. Now, after the order has shipped, I get
      a drawing that shows exactly what they shipped before - wired with just
      3 conductors.

      Scott
    • nancetx
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
        Scott,

        Thank you for your reply and helpful info!

        I have the Garmin Nuvi 650.

        Nancy
        K5NAA
      • Clay Jackson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
          Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.

          I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
          now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
          go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
          only online.

          So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
          interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?

          Thanks!

          Clay
          N7QNM
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
            Go get the mini-B to serial pigtail cable (I think I posted the part
            number earlier), wire it up 2 - Yellow, 3 - White, 5 - Black on a female
            DB9, and plug it in to the rear DB9 of the radio and the side mini-B
            connector on the Nuvi. Get the new firmware (I'll post it soon as a
            beta) and set AMODE GARMIN. That's it.

            Be warned, as soon as you plug in the Nuvi, it'll enable fleet
            management mode and your first menu item will become 'Dispatch' instead
            of 'Places' or whatever it was before. That menu item moves down into
            the Dispatch menu. That stays across power cycles, and possibly resets
            - I haven't tried a full hardware reset yet, only a 'restore defaults',
            and that didn't change it back.

            I've got message queue support working, so you can see if the message
            you sent was ack'd by the recipient, and when. It'll also queue
            multiple messages and send them in sequence.

            I'm going to ask Garmin for a non-receipt status feature. Right now you
            can only indicate that a message was received, or not respond at all, in
            which case the queue hangs. For fleet dispatch that's probably to be
            expected, but we need to be able to report failure for an individual
            message.

            Scott

            Clay Jackson wrote:

            > Hey, Scott - WAY COOL with the Nuvi.
            >
            > I've got 2 350s, one in my wife's car and one in my daughter's truck -
            > now I'll have to either convince my wife to let me pay with hers, or
            > go buy one myself. Before Christmas, WalMart had 'em on sale; but
            > only online.
            >
            > So - how might that get interfaced to the T2-135? I'm especially
            > interested in sending objects FROM the T2 to the Nuvi?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Clay
            > N7QNM

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hi Scott,

              I wonder if the T2 can be installed into a eeePC. Hmm ...

              http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades

              I would leave out the GPS though.

              Best regards,
              Fred
            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
                Why leave out the GPS? Put in one of the OEM modules like this one:

                http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8234

                and then you can have GPS in the machine when you want it, and still have the external
                antenna when you're in the car. Though that said, I have one of those modules in the
                portable aprs tracker I'm building, and even inside buildings it's able to acquire a
                satellite fix from a cold start... These new chip sets are amazing when you're
                experienced with the old (~1994) generation stuff.

                Patrick

                On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:18:44 -0500, Fred Hillhouse wrote

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
                  That's pretty cool. I do have a bunch of old C6-size T2 prototype
                  boards on hand if anyone ever wants to solder one up... I can probably
                  find the docs for it.

                  Scott