Re: More Nuvi stuff

  • Tim Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
      Scott:

      I think this is one of the more spectacular breakthru's in making APRS
      truly utilitarian and cost effective. This seems to be a great
      alternative to the pricey, single-source Avmap/D7xx combo. I've
      always wanted a more contemporary GPS that can do routing *and* be
      used for APRS, messaging, etc. I'm watching with great interest.

      On a similar note, it seems to me that you could do a slight
      modification to the code to use the T2 as a protocol converter (fleet
      management to NMEA) for the D7xx guys so they have an alternative to
      the Avmap.

      Does the Nuvi keep the mobile waypoints in memory long after the last
      beacon or posit has been received or do you have to manually purge the
      waypoint list?

      73,

      Tim - N1TI
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
        > On a similar note, it seems to me that you could do a slight
        > modification to the code to use the T2 as a protocol converter (fleet
        > management to NMEA) for the D7xx guys so they have an alternative to
        > the Avmap.

        I'm not sure it'd exactly be a slight modification, but it could be
        done. The main problem is that the Kenwoods (unless they've changed
        substantially with the D710) only put out a callsign and a position on
        the GPS port, with no comment or symbol data. If you can get KISS data
        out while the radio is still in APRS mode, then it'd be possible to get
        that information.

        > Does the Nuvi keep the mobile waypoints in memory long after the last
        > beacon or posit has been received or do you have to manually purge the
        > waypoint list?

        It seems to keep them forever, until you delete them. My Garmin rep
        seems to think it wouldn't be too much trouble for them to add a
        delete-named-waypoint command (something that's been lacking for a long
        time), though that still leaves some work to be done in tracking what
        needs to be deleted. It'd also help if there was a way to list
        waypoints without making the unit beep.

        Scott
      • Clay Jackson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
          Scott - if by 'FMI capable receiver' you mean the Garmin FM Traffic
          receiver, we've got one of those (but, how would one interface that
          along with the T2 - does the Fleet Management cable come with a pass-
          through)?

          Clay
          N7QNM

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
            No, I think that's a TMC receiver. Not sure if there's any way to do
            pass-through - I'll have to look into that. There are two USB
            connectors on the Nuvi 350, but I think the rear one might be power only.

            Scott