More Nuvi stuff

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2 12:23 PM
      Ok, message origination is working - you can now send a message to a
      designated recipient rather than just replying. Also, if the message is
      prefixed with '!', it's interpreted as a command to the T2.

      This means that any command you can issue through a terminal, you can
      issue through the GPS. Actually, at the moment I think I've got it
      restricted to remote commands, because otherwise things like CALIBRATE
      would get stuck.

      I've been playing around with it and it really wasn't too difficult to
      set the AUTHLIST, change digi aliases, and check the system info. Only
      marginally harder than with a PDA, I'd say, and easier to read.

      If anyone has an FMI-capable receiver and the proper cable, let me know
      and I'll post the firmware so you can try it out. I can't promise that
      it won't break other stuff, and in fact there's plenty of cleanup to do,
      but it's still pretty cool. I'm going to have to pick up another Nuvi
      so I can have one to mount permanently in the car.

      Speaking of which, I just got a Costco mailing that shows a couple of
      different Nuvi models for sale at costco.com with a $100 rebate. I
      could have gotten a 600 series for a few bucks more than I paid for the 350.

      Scott
    • Tim Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2 12:59 PM
        Scott:

        I think this is one of the more spectacular breakthru's in making APRS
        truly utilitarian and cost effective. This seems to be a great
        alternative to the pricey, single-source Avmap/D7xx combo. I've
        always wanted a more contemporary GPS that can do routing *and* be
        used for APRS, messaging, etc. I'm watching with great interest.

        On a similar note, it seems to me that you could do a slight
        modification to the code to use the T2 as a protocol converter (fleet
        management to NMEA) for the D7xx guys so they have an alternative to
        the Avmap.

        Does the Nuvi keep the mobile waypoints in memory long after the last
        beacon or posit has been received or do you have to manually purge the
        waypoint list?

        73,

        Tim - N1TI
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 2:16 PM
          > On a similar note, it seems to me that you could do a slight
          > modification to the code to use the T2 as a protocol converter (fleet
          > management to NMEA) for the D7xx guys so they have an alternative to
          > the Avmap.

          I'm not sure it'd exactly be a slight modification, but it could be
          done. The main problem is that the Kenwoods (unless they've changed
          substantially with the D710) only put out a callsign and a position on
          the GPS port, with no comment or symbol data. If you can get KISS data
          out while the radio is still in APRS mode, then it'd be possible to get
          that information.

          > Does the Nuvi keep the mobile waypoints in memory long after the last
          > beacon or posit has been received or do you have to manually purge the
          > waypoint list?

          It seems to keep them forever, until you delete them. My Garmin rep
          seems to think it wouldn't be too much trouble for them to add a
          delete-named-waypoint command (something that's been lacking for a long
          time), though that still leaves some work to be done in tracking what
          needs to be deleted. It'd also help if there was a way to list
          waypoints without making the unit beep.

          Scott
        • Clay Jackson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4 5:01 PM
            Scott - if by 'FMI capable receiver' you mean the Garmin FM Traffic
            receiver, we've got one of those (but, how would one interface that
            along with the T2 - does the Fleet Management cable come with a pass-
            through)?

            Clay
            N7QNM

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4 5:16 PM
              No, I think that's a TMC receiver. Not sure if there's any way to do
              pass-through - I'll have to look into that. There are two USB
              connectors on the Nuvi 350, but I think the rear one might be power only.

              Scott