Re: [tracker2] Nuvi messaging

  • Scott Sandvik
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
      Pretty cool!
      scott sandvik ke5ohf

      How cool is this?

      http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-inbox.jpg

      I got the Nuvi into fleet management mode, and it adds menu items for
      messaging. Shown here is my D7A sending a text message to the T2 (via
      an old Alinco DJ-F1T that's not shown).

      Here's the messaging menu:

      http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-messaging.jpg

      And the message composition screen:

      http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-compose.jpg

      It's going to have to take a destination callsign in the message text,
      though. I think I'm going to make the default behavior to be 'reply',
      so if you don't include a destination, it'll just send the message to
      whoever sent the last message it received.

      And when I get a chance, I'll see about tying it all into the T2's
      command processor, so you can reconfigure it from the Nuvi's message
      interface.

      For the receive side, I think this beats the D700/D710 for usability
      already. When you tap a message summary, you get a whole page to view
      the text (200 characters max, I think) and it's a very clear,
      daylight-readable display with a simple interface. Can't wait to try it
      out on one of the big StreetPilots.

      Scott
      N1VG