Re: [tracker2] Nuvi messaging

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
      What was that ringing sound?  the death knell of the D7xx, maybe?

      Very cool!

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Curt, WE7U
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
        On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Scott Miller wrote:

        > For the receive side, I think this beats the D700/D710 for usability
        > already.

        D7 as well.

        Are there any handheld GPS'es that this might work on? Since you're
        talking "fleet management mode" these must be vehicle GPS'es and
        therefore a bit larger.

        --
        Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/> XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
        The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
          None listed on Garmin's site. The Nuvi 350 isn't a bad form factor for
          carrying around, but it's more delicate than most handhelds. Also, I'm
          not sure it's going to be possible to power it and run serial on the
          same cable, and it needs external power to run a serial accessory.

          I'm really excited that this might finally give us a good, compact
          mobile messaging platform. Even the HamHud is more cumbersome than this.

          Scott

          Curt, WE7U wrote:

          > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Scott Miller wrote:
          >
          > > For the receive side, I think this beats the D700/D710 for usability
          > > already.
          >
          > D7 as well.
          >
          > Are there any handheld GPS'es that this might work on? Since you're
          > talking "fleet management mode" these must be vehicle GPS'es and
          > therefore a bit larger.
          >
          > --
          > Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/> XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
          > "Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
          > "Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U
          > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!

        • Scott Sandvik
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
            Pretty cool!
            scott sandvik ke5ohf

            How cool is this?

            http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-inbox.jpg

            I got the Nuvi into fleet management mode, and it adds menu items for
            messaging. Shown here is my D7A sending a text message to the T2 (via
            an old Alinco DJ-F1T that's not shown).

            Here's the messaging menu:

            http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-messaging.jpg

            And the message composition screen:

            http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-compose.jpg

            It's going to have to take a destination callsign in the message text,
            though. I think I'm going to make the default behavior to be 'reply',
            so if you don't include a destination, it'll just send the message to
            whoever sent the last message it received.

            And when I get a chance, I'll see about tying it all into the T2's
            command processor, so you can reconfigure it from the Nuvi's message
            interface.

            For the receive side, I think this beats the D700/D710 for usability
            already. When you tap a message summary, you get a whole page to view
            the text (200 characters max, I think) and it's a very clear,
            daylight-readable display with a simple interface. Can't wait to try it
            out on one of the big StreetPilots.

            Scott
            N1VG