Re: [tracker2] Telemetry

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
      There's the standard APRS telemetry format, and some hardware has support for it.  (It's probably designed around something the KPC-3 does by default).

      There are some ADCs on the OT, but I haven't explored using them.  The SMT OT has a _bunch_ of ADC inputs.

      I think I'd ask Scott exactly what the "Extended telemetry support for OT1+ SMT" firmware is about.  I don't recall seeing an announcement on that one. (:

      We've had students hack the OT firmware and hardware (it's all open source, after all) and create some sort of custom format telemetry that they stuck in an AX.25 packet and transmitted once a second.

      Sounds like you may want two OTs, once for position reporting and another for telemetry.  Unless you're integrating the new SRB MX146 transmitter somehow, I don't know how you would do both with one rig.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • vk6mt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
        Is there a way to send a telemetry packet in isolation (in other words separate from a standard location packet)? It seems that I can only sent a telemetry packet immediately after a location packet. And when these packets get digipeated down the line the latter gets clobbered and does not make it to the iGate.

        Can I use scripting to solve this problem by send a telemetry only packet and if so how?

        Mal
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
          Not yet, there's not. If you have a suggestion on how you'd like that
          to work, let me know. I'm thinking maybe a special parameter for the
          BEACON command...

          Scott

          On 2/2/2011 11:00 PM, vk6mt wrote:
          > Is there a way to send a telemetry packet in isolation (in other words
          > separate from a standard location packet)? It seems that I can only sent
          > a telemetry packet immediately after a location packet. And when these
          > packets get digipeated down the line the latter gets clobbered and does
          > not make it to the iGate.
          >
          > Can I use scripting to solve this problem by send a telemetry only
          > packet and if so how?
          >
          > Mal

        • vk6mt
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
            I think the simplest way would be to introduce a' TELEmetry' command that operates just like the `BEAcon' one. A line in the script that looks like:- Exec "TELE", would then do the trick. It would then also be possible to request the Telemety from the OT2 remotely! Is this possible?

            Mal

            > Not yet, there's not. If you have a suggestion on how you'd like that
            > to work, let me know. I'm thinking maybe a special parameter for the
            > BEACON command...
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 2/2/2011 11:00 PM, vk6mt wrote:
            > > Is there a way to send a telemetry packet in isolation (in other words
            > > separate from a standard location packet)? It seems that I can only sent
            > > a telemetry packet immediately after a location packet. And when these
            > > packets get digipeated down the line the latter gets clobbered and does
            > > not make it to the iGate.
            > >
            > > Can I use scripting to solve this problem by send a telemetry only
            > > packet and if so how?
            > >
            > > Mal

          • tkomljan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011
              I have to agree. I've experienced the same issue resulting in perhaps 70% loss of TELEmetry packets. The beacon and telemetry packets cannot be sent sequentially without some random pause in between, or if I understand Mal, separate the two and let beacon and telemetry operate on independent timers.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "vk6mt" <vk6mt@...> wrote:

              > I think the simplest way would be to introduce a' TELEmetry' command that operates just like the `BEAcon' one. A line in the script that looks like:- Exec "TELE", would then do the trick. It would then also be possible to request the Telemety from the OT2 remotely! Is this possible?
              >
              > Mal
            • vk6mt
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
                On thinking about it I realise that there is already a TELEMETRY command for switching it on and off so it would need to be called something else, BTELEM for Beacon Telemetry or something like that.

                I don't know how hard it would be, but if you had the ability to add an optional path to the command you could then request a telemetry packet and have that packet digied back to you via your selected path. Something like BTELEM <path>. Without the optional parameter it would default to the path set in the active profile. But just to have the ability in the scripting to send the telemetry by itself would be a great leap forward.

                It sounds so easy when you don't have to write the code!

                Just dreaming Scott, no pressure!!

                Mal

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "tkomljan" <tkomljan@...> wrote:

                > I have to agree. I've experienced the same issue resulting in perhaps 70% loss of TELEmetry packets. The beacon and telemetry packets cannot be sent sequentially without some random pause in between, or if I understand Mal, separate the two and let beacon and telemetry operate on independent timers.
                >
                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "vk6mt" <vk6mt@> wrote:
                > >

                > > I think the simplest way would be to introduce a' TELEmetry' command that operates just like the `BEAcon' one. A line in the script that looks like:- Exec "TELE", would then do the trick. It would then also be possible to request the Telemety from the OT2 remotely! Is this possible?
                > >
                > > Mal

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 8 , May 19, 2015
                  Hello everyone

                  I'm wondering how to send telemetry only, not with position.
                  Does a command exist for the OT3m?

                  Thanks
                  Steve
                  VE2BSB