Telemetry

  • usna71
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hello:
      Anyone who can help point me in the right direction to transmit
      telemetry data from a balloon? I want to send a position report every
      two minutes and telemetry data every 5 sec (all this not on the APRS
      freq, however). Telemetry would be a couple of temperatures and
      pressure. Can this be done? What is the best way to interface and
      get all the data in place? I am shooting for a 10cm x 10cm form
      factor on the board and that is bigger than OT2M.
      I realize there is a telemetry soft-switch and there is the option
      to use Weather Station telemetry, but it is not explained in my T2-135
      manual. Any nice examples out there?

      Bill
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
        There's the standard APRS telemetry format, and some hardware has support for it.  (It's probably designed around something the KPC-3 does by default).

        There are some ADCs on the OT, but I haven't explored using them.  The SMT OT has a _bunch_ of ADC inputs.

        I think I'd ask Scott exactly what the "Extended telemetry support for OT1+ SMT" firmware is about.  I don't recall seeing an announcement on that one. (:

        We've had students hack the OT firmware and hardware (it's all open source, after all) and create some sort of custom format telemetry that they stuck in an AX.25 packet and transmitted once a second.

        Sounds like you may want two OTs, once for position reporting and another for telemetry.  Unless you're integrating the new SRB MX146 transmitter somehow, I don't know how you would do both with one rig.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • vk6mt
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
          Is there a way to send a telemetry packet in isolation (in other words separate from a standard location packet)? It seems that I can only sent a telemetry packet immediately after a location packet. And when these packets get digipeated down the line the latter gets clobbered and does not make it to the iGate.

          Can I use scripting to solve this problem by send a telemetry only packet and if so how?

          Mal
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
            Not yet, there's not. If you have a suggestion on how you'd like that
            to work, let me know. I'm thinking maybe a special parameter for the
            BEACON command...

            Scott

            On 2/2/2011 11:00 PM, vk6mt wrote:
            > Is there a way to send a telemetry packet in isolation (in other words
            > separate from a standard location packet)? It seems that I can only sent
            > a telemetry packet immediately after a location packet. And when these
            > packets get digipeated down the line the latter gets clobbered and does
            > not make it to the iGate.
            >
            > Can I use scripting to solve this problem by send a telemetry only
            > packet and if so how?
            >
            > Mal

          • vk6mt
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
              I think the simplest way would be to introduce a' TELEmetry' command that operates just like the `BEAcon' one. A line in the script that looks like:- Exec "TELE", would then do the trick. It would then also be possible to request the Telemety from the OT2 remotely! Is this possible?

              Mal

              > Not yet, there's not. If you have a suggestion on how you'd like that
              > to work, let me know. I'm thinking maybe a special parameter for the
              > BEACON command...
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 2/2/2011 11:00 PM, vk6mt wrote:
              > > Is there a way to send a telemetry packet in isolation (in other words
              > > separate from a standard location packet)? It seems that I can only sent
              > > a telemetry packet immediately after a location packet. And when these
              > > packets get digipeated down the line the latter gets clobbered and does
              > > not make it to the iGate.
              > >
              > > Can I use scripting to solve this problem by send a telemetry only
              > > packet and if so how?
              > >
              > > Mal

            • tkomljan
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011
                I have to agree. I've experienced the same issue resulting in perhaps 70% loss of TELEmetry packets. The beacon and telemetry packets cannot be sent sequentially without some random pause in between, or if I understand Mal, separate the two and let beacon and telemetry operate on independent timers.

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "vk6mt" <vk6mt@...> wrote:

                > I think the simplest way would be to introduce a' TELEmetry' command that operates just like the `BEAcon' one. A line in the script that looks like:- Exec "TELE", would then do the trick. It would then also be possible to request the Telemety from the OT2 remotely! Is this possible?
                >
                > Mal
              • vk6mt
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
                  On thinking about it I realise that there is already a TELEMETRY command for switching it on and off so it would need to be called something else, BTELEM for Beacon Telemetry or something like that.

                  I don't know how hard it would be, but if you had the ability to add an optional path to the command you could then request a telemetry packet and have that packet digied back to you via your selected path. Something like BTELEM <path>. Without the optional parameter it would default to the path set in the active profile. But just to have the ability in the scripting to send the telemetry by itself would be a great leap forward.

                  It sounds so easy when you don't have to write the code!

                  Just dreaming Scott, no pressure!!

                  Mal

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "tkomljan" <tkomljan@...> wrote:

                  > I have to agree. I've experienced the same issue resulting in perhaps 70% loss of TELEmetry packets. The beacon and telemetry packets cannot be sent sequentially without some random pause in between, or if I understand Mal, separate the two and let beacon and telemetry operate on independent timers.
                  >
                  > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "vk6mt" <vk6mt@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I think the simplest way would be to introduce a' TELEmetry' command that operates just like the `BEAcon' one. A line in the script that looks like:- Exec "TELE", would then do the trick. It would then also be possible to request the Telemety from the OT2 remotely! Is this possible?
                  > >
                  > > Mal

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 19
                    Hello everyone

                    I'm wondering how to send telemetry only, not with position.
                    Does a command exist for the OT3m?

                    Thanks
                    Steve
                    VE2BSB