Re: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi 350 and T2

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
      or maybe something like
      "AI4PX was not copied"

      rofl...sorry just could not resist that!! <G>

      But a  really great idea Wes!!

      73
      Steve, kf6wax

      On Feb 1, 2008 9:04 AM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX <wes@...> wrote:

      THe other thing that would be slick would be if you could access the text to speech voices.... and use the nuvi speech synthesis as an aprs output device.  Man, it is so stinking nice to have the TTS voices actually tell you the name of the street to turn on.  Sure would be nice to have the GPS read out messages, or to be able to select a station to monitor and have it say position from "WA4XYZ recieved", etc....

      Wes

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        Certainly not in exactly the same way (it's a Garmin proprietary
        protocol) but that's not to say they don't have some interface for AVL
        or fleet management. If someone wants to look that up, I'll be happy to
        support what I can.

        If it's anything complicated, it's going to have to be in a separate
        firmware load, I think. Every time I hit the 'make' key these days, I
        cringe, waiting for the dreaded 'out of allocation space in segment xxx'
        linker error that means I've run out of room.

        That doesn't mean the end of T2 improvements, it just means that I get
        to spent a lot more time optimizing existing code before I can add new
        stuff. Rewriting some of the trig functions already bought me some
        breathing room, but I'm going to have to tackle other bits of bloat
        before long.

        Scott

        Steve wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I discovered something interesting today. Here I've been telling people
        > all along that the newer USB-only Garmin receivers like the Nuvi are
        > worthless for APRS. Turns out I was wrong.
        >
        > When I heard about Garmin's fleet management interface, I decided it'd
        > be worth checking out. It needs a special cable, though - for the Nuvi
        > 350 I picked up, it's Garmin p/n 010-10813-00. By the looks of it, it's
        > probably just got a level converter inside, but I'm not sure.
        > Apparently there's a serial interface of some sort that can share the
        > USB connector.
        >
        > The fleet management protocol looked suspiciously like a subset of
        > Garmin's regular binary serial protocol, so (once I figured out the
        > cable pinouts and soldered on a DB9) I fired up the test program I'd
        > written, and sure enough, it spit out a list of supported protocols.
        >
        > I plugged it straight into a stock Tracker2 and the activity light
        > started blinking green, showing a good fix. I piped in some recorded
        > APRS traffic and the map screen started showing APRS stations. Here are
        > some pictures I took (haven't tried the screen capture program yet):
        >
        > Map screen (2D mode): http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-map.jpg
        > <http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-map.jpg>
        > Waypoint list: http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-list.jpg
        > <http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-list.jpg>
        > Station detail: http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-detail.jpg
        > <http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-detail.jpg>
        >
        > It's not perfect - the waypoint set is different, for one. You can see
        > that all of the cars are now up on lifts with the hood up! The digis do
        > show up as antenna towers, at least, and the houses are there. I'll
        > have to find out if it'll take custom symbols. Also, it seems to have
        > some quirks about showing waypoints at different zoom levels.
        >
        > The Nuvi 350 has a USB port on the side and another one on the clip-on
        > base, so you can power it and plug it in to the tracker at the same
        > time. When I find out how the serial interface adapter works, I'll see
        > if I can power it from the tracker, or maybe vice versa. I'll also see
        > about a cheaper substitute for the cable - this one cost me $30 after
        > shipping. It probably wouldn't be hard to build an equivalent circuit
        > into a DB9 shell.
        >
        > The bad news is that the OT2m is totally sold out right now. My only
        > two spares are going out for CE EMC certification shortly. The factory
        > producing the boards is snowed in right now and hasn't even been
        > able to
        > get the parts for the next batch - DHL's had them sitting at the depot
        > for days. It'll probably be the end of February before I have any more.
        > The T2-135 is shipping, albeit slowly due to limited production
        > capability here.
        >
        > Hopefully by the time the boards come in I'll have figured out all of
        > the Nuvi's quirks and dealt with them. I also hope to make some use of
        > the fleet management interface for some new features. Most importantly

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
          Scott, I tried to purchase the cable from Garmin, # 010-10813-00 and
          Garmin won't sell to Canada. Will you be able to get these cables and
          sell them yourself? I checked other sites and no one seems to have
          them in stock.

          Thanks...

          jim
          VE7JSE

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
            They could be in stock as soon as this afternoon, but more likely early
            next week. No problem shipping to Canada.

            Scott