Garmin Nuvi 350 and T2

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2008
      I discovered something interesting today. Here I've been telling people
      all along that the newer USB-only Garmin receivers like the Nuvi are
      worthless for APRS. Turns out I was wrong.

      When I heard about Garmin's fleet management interface, I decided it'd
      be worth checking out. It needs a special cable, though - for the Nuvi
      350 I picked up, it's Garmin p/n 010-10813-00. By the looks of it, it's
      probably just got a level converter inside, but I'm not sure.
      Apparently there's a serial interface of some sort that can share the
      USB connector.

      The fleet management protocol looked suspiciously like a subset of
      Garmin's regular binary serial protocol, so (once I figured out the
      cable pinouts and soldered on a DB9) I fired up the test program I'd
      written, and sure enough, it spit out a list of supported protocols.

      I plugged it straight into a stock Tracker2 and the activity light
      started blinking green, showing a good fix. I piped in some recorded
      APRS traffic and the map screen started showing APRS stations. Here are
      some pictures I took (haven't tried the screen capture program yet):

      Map screen (2D mode): http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-map.jpg
      Waypoint list: http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-list.jpg
      Station detail: http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-detail.jpg

      It's not perfect - the waypoint set is different, for one. You can see
      that all of the cars are now up on lifts with the hood up! The digis do
      show up as antenna towers, at least, and the houses are there. I'll
      have to find out if it'll take custom symbols. Also, it seems to have
      some quirks about showing waypoints at different zoom levels.

      The Nuvi 350 has a USB port on the side and another one on the clip-on
      base, so you can power it and plug it in to the tracker at the same
      time. When I find out how the serial interface adapter works, I'll see
      if I can power it from the tracker, or maybe vice versa. I'll also see
      about a cheaper substitute for the cable - this one cost me $30 after
      shipping. It probably wouldn't be hard to build an equivalent circuit
      into a DB9 shell.

      The bad news is that the OT2m is totally sold out right now. My only
      two spares are going out for CE EMC certification shortly. The factory
      producing the boards is snowed in right now and hasn't even been able to
      get the parts for the next batch - DHL's had them sitting at the depot
      for days. It'll probably be the end of February before I have any more.
      The T2-135 is shipping, albeit slowly due to limited production
      capability here.

      Hopefully by the time the boards come in I'll have figured out all of
      the Nuvi's quirks and dealt with them. I also hope to make some use of
      the fleet management interface for some new features. Most importantly
      - it does text messaging.

      Scott
    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi Scott,

        This is a great news. Glad you made it working with
        Garmin's PVT protocol, as this means there is hope to
        use the current USB-only Garmins on a T2.

        Whenever you have time, could you see if you can
        figure out the circuit on that cable?

        73 de Paulus - N5SNN

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2008
          I'll crack it open (and maybe buy another) if I can't get the specs out
          of Garmin. It looks like it's probably just welded shut and not molded
          on, at least. I'll also find out what my price is, assuming I can buy
          it as an OEM dealer.

          I'll be trying out the messaging protocol tomorrow. I'm not sure
          there's any way for the client to initiate a message, but it can at
          least receive and reply to messages.

          I'd really love it if I could get Garmin to define some simple user
          interface elements, so you could do things like configure the tracker
          through the touch screen.

          Scott

          P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

> [...]
          > > equivalent circuit
          > > into a DB9 shell.
          > >
          > > The bad news is that the OT2m is totally sold out
          > > right now. My only
          > > two spares are going out for CE EMC certification
          > > shortly. The factory
          > > producing the boards is snowed in right now and
          > > hasn't even been able to
          > > get the parts for the next batch - DHL's had them
          > > sitting at the depot
          > > for days. It'll probably be the end of February
          > > before I have any more.
          > > The T2-135 is shipping, albeit slowly due to
          > > limited production
          > > capability here.
          > >
          > > Hopefully by the time the boards come in I'll have
          > > figured out all of
          > > the Nuvi's quirks and dealt with them. I also hope
          > > to make some use of
          > > the fleet management interface for some new

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
            Scott,

            Do you know if the TomTom Go920 is possible to access in the same way as the Garmin Nuvi you mentioned below??

            It has a (what I call) mini usb to interface with either a charger or a PC for programming.

            This GPS is loaded with some very neat features and if it was possible to interface that to a Kenwood D700 or D710 I would have gone to APRS heaven!!

            I already tried out a Garmin StreetPilot® c530, and while I made no attempt to use it for APRS and also a TomTom one xl and a low end Magellan 3100, they all seem to have this mini usb port on them!

            If there is anything more you need to know about the TomTom GO920 please let me know and I will attempt to furbish you that info the best I can!!

            73
            Steve, kf6wax

          • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
              THe other thing that would be slick would be if you could access the text to speech voices.... and use the nuvi speech synthesis as an aprs output device.  Man, it is so stinking nice to have the TTS voices actually tell you the name of the street to turn on.  Sure would be nice to have the GPS read out messages, or to be able to select a station to monitor and have it say position from "WA4XYZ recieved", etc....

              Wes

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
                or maybe something like
                "AI4PX was not copied"

                rofl...sorry just could not resist that!! <G>

                But a  really great idea Wes!!

                73
                Steve, kf6wax

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Certainly not in exactly the same way (it's a Garmin proprietary
                  protocol) but that's not to say they don't have some interface for AVL
                  or fleet management. If someone wants to look that up, I'll be happy to
                  support what I can.

                  If it's anything complicated, it's going to have to be in a separate
                  firmware load, I think. Every time I hit the 'make' key these days, I
                  cringe, waiting for the dreaded 'out of allocation space in segment xxx'
                  linker error that means I've run out of room.

                  That doesn't mean the end of T2 improvements, it just means that I get
                  to spent a lot more time optimizing existing code before I can add new
                  stuff. Rewriting some of the trig functions already bought me some
                  breathing room, but I'm going to have to tackle other bits of bloat
                  before long.

                  Scott

                  Steve wrote:

> [...]
                  > about a cheaper substitute for the cable - this one cost me $30 after
                  > shipping. It probably wouldn't be hard to build an equivalent circuit
                  > into a DB9 shell.
                  >
                  > The bad news is that the OT2m is totally sold out right now. My only
                  > two spares are going out for CE EMC certification shortly. The factory
                  > producing the boards is snowed in right now and hasn't even been
                  > able to
                  > get the parts for the next batch - DHL's had them sitting at the depot
                  > for days. It'll probably be the end of February before I have any more.
                  > The T2-135 is shipping, albeit slowly due to limited production
                  > capability here.
                  >
                  > Hopefully by the time the boards come in I'll have figured out all of
                  > the Nuvi's quirks and dealt with them. I also hope to make some use of
                  > the fleet management interface for some new features. Most importantly

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                    Scott, I tried to purchase the cable from Garmin, # 010-10813-00 and
                    Garmin won't sell to Canada. Will you be able to get these cables and
                    sell them yourself? I checked other sites and no one seems to have
                    them in stock.

                    Thanks...

                    jim
                    VE7JSE

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                      They could be in stock as soon as this afternoon, but more likely early
                      next week. No problem shipping to Canada.

                      Scott