Just ordered the "newer" GPS unit for NDT (non destructive testing)...

  • captnkliegle
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
      We'll find out if it can handle speeds up to Mach .80 and 30 degree
      bank turns that blank out satellites. The one I'm using now (1-2 year
      old Deluo GPS units) can't reaquire Sats once it looses sight of them
      at higher speed. Won't lock back on until we slow up for landing. Stay
      tuned!

      Kriss

      KA1GJU Home
      KA1GJU-2 UHF Digi
      KA1GJU-3 WX Digi
      KA1GJU-6 Aeronautical
      KA1GJU-7 Truck
      KA1GJU-9 VW Jetta TDI
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
        Yow - what are you flying at Mach .8? That's a little hotter than your
        average CAP search aircraft!

        Gotta get myself an L-39 someday. Or maybe a T-38. =]

        (Or if I REALLY make it big, maybe a Mig 29. Assuming I have a few
        million left over after the Soyuz ride. =])

        Scott

        captnkliegle wrote:

        > We'll find out if it can handle speeds up to Mach .80 and 30 degree
        > bank turns that blank out satellites. The one I'm using now (1-2 year
        > old Deluo GPS units) can't reaquire Sats once it looses sight of them
        > at higher speed. Won't lock back on until we slow up for landing. Stay
        > tuned!
        >
        > Kriss
        >
        > KA1GJU Home
        > KA1GJU-2 UHF Digi
        > KA1GJU-3 WX Digi
        > KA1GJU-6 Aeronautical
        > KA1GJU-7 Truck
        > KA1GJU-9 VW Jetta TDI

      • Hank
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
          > Yow - what are you flying at Mach .8?

          Scott,

          Look up Kriss in qrz.

          Hank
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
            Ok, the text says MD-80, but the picture looks suspiciously like a
            Cessna 140! =]

            Scott

            Hank wrote:

            > > Yow - what are you flying at Mach .8?
            >
            > Scott,
            >
            > Look up Kriss in qrz.
            >
            > Hank

          • Keri Morgret
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
              Here's my favorite tale of airspeed, and some of you may have seen it before.
              http://www.goldengatewing.org/proptalk/speaker.cfm?ID=15

              Scroll to the last section about Ground Speed.

              At 03:04 PM 1/29/2008, you wrote:
              >Ok, the text says MD-80, but the picture looks suspiciously like a
              >Cessna 140! =]
              >
              >Scott
              >
              >Hank wrote:
              > >

              > > > Yow - what are you flying at Mach .8?
              > >
              > > Scott,
              > >
              > > Look up Kriss in qrz.
              > >
              > > Hank
            • captnkliegle
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
                Was doing M.84 over the North Atlantic every week until last October,
                when I got my captains bid back after'corporate' downsizing due to 9-11
                and economy. Now putzing around the US in the old MD-82/83. Photo in
                QRZ is the B-777 that I flew across the pond. Great time to work HF for
                hours at a time! No HF equipment in the 'Mad Dog' eighty as it's known.
                Still waiting for the delivery... stay tuned and resonant!
                73 de KA1GJU-Kriss
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Hmm, photo on QRZ still looks like a Cessna 140 in the snow to me.

                  Scott

                  captnkliegle wrote:

                  > Was doing M.84 over the North Atlantic every week until last October,
                  > when I got my captains bid back after'corporate' downsizing due to 9-11
                  > and economy. Now putzing around the US in the old MD-82/83. Photo in
                  > QRZ is the B-777 that I flew across the pond. Great time to work HF for
                  > hours at a time! No HF equipment in the 'Mad Dog' eighty as it's known.
                  > Still waiting for the delivery... stay tuned and resonant!
                  > 73 de KA1GJU-Kriss

                • Bob Burns W9RXR
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
                    At 11:32 AM 2/2/2008, Scott Miller wrote:
                    >captnkliegle wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Photo in
                    > > QRZ is the B-777 that I flew across the pond.
                    >
                    >Hmm, photo on QRZ still looks like a Cessna 140 in the snow to me.

                    I agree. Definitely smaller than a triple-7.

                    You pilot geeks may have seen this before, but I found it to be
                    pretty impressive:

                    http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

                    Bob...