More OT2 Testing

  • Heaton, Brad
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
      More OT2 Testing

      Tracker Testing
      Connected to a Relm WHS150 I get out fairly consistently.  The tones sound clean on my scanner.
      I tried connecting it to a Icom IC-2SAT and I never got into a digi.  The tones sound very distorted on my scanner.  Doesn't matter what the TX POT is set to.  I am probably overdriving the audio.  I might have to add another resistor inline or something.  I will keep playing with it.

      It receives location info from my Garmin eTrex Legend in Garmin mode (garmin set in otwincfg.exe and in the GPS.  I didn't see any positions reported back into the GPS.  Is there something special I need to do to enable this?  When connected to my computer (via HyperTerminal) with tracker firmware I never get any text displayed.  Is there an option to turn this on or am I doing something wrong?  At first I though I didn't have the receive stuff installed/adjusted/whatever right but it is decoding everything in KISS mode.  See below.

      I am going to get out on the road later today with the OT2 to see how it does mobile.

      KISS testing
      I loaded the KISS firmware and connected it to UI-View.  I had to adjust some settings in UI-View but it has been working find for almost an hour, decoding nearly everything that breaks squelch.  Still hooked up to the Relm.

      1-Wire
      I would like to connect a temp sensor or two to the 1-wire bus.  What do I need to do to get the temp info reported back?  I didn't see any config options for the 1-wire.  Am I jumping the gun here?

      A few other assorted questions…

      What is the Tune pot for?

      The loop back jumper setting?

      Anything else I should be testing for you Scott?  I don't really have a way to test a digipeater right now but I am working on it.

      Thanks, Scott, for all of your hard work on making the OT2!  I am impressed with the functionality so far.  If there is anything else I can do to help let me know.

      -Brad
      -KD7QHX

      P.S. Posits sent as KD7QHX-12 or DCSAR-5 are sent either from (DCSAR-5) or thru (KD7QHX-12) the OT2.

    • Heaton, Brad
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
        More OT2 Testing
        OK.   It was my fault that the OT2 wasn't reporting other positions to the GPS right.  I had a setting wrond in the config.  It is working now.

        -Brad

      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
          More OT2 Testing
          Audio output is going to be higher than the OT by default, with R21 at 100k.  Maybe I should change that.  Replacing it with a 220k resistor should give it exactly the same output as the OT.

          Not sure why you're not seeing anything in Hyperterminal.  I just loaded up the firmware version from the website to be sure, and I'm decoding packets just fine.  You should see them at 4800 baud.  Actually, let me clarify - you'll see positions at 4800 baud if you're NOT in Garmin mode.  In Garmin mode, it'll switch to 9600 baud and keep polling the GPS until it responds with its product information.

          If it works in NMEA mode but not in Garmin, it could be that your GPS receiver has one of the waypoint formats I haven't implemented yet.  We'll just need to figure out which one.

          No 1-wire support yet, haven't had a chance to port the code over.  I also have to decide if I want to merge it into a single firmware image, so that you can run weather and everything else at the same time.  That'll mean more changes to the config program.

          The tune pot adjusts the center frequency of the demodulator.  Dead center seems to work just fine.  The loopback setting connects the audio output and audio input, but there's no support in the firmware yet for tuning.  Tuning might be as simple as having it send alternating tones, and turning the LED green for one and red for the other.  You'd just tune for orange.

          I'm going to be experimenting this weekend with self-programming so it can change its config parameters remotely.  I want to at least be able to change some basic settings, but I doubt it'll be completely reconfigurable.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
            More OT2 Testing
            Good - what was the setting?  Are you getting proper icons and everything?  The eTrex doesn't have a comment field, but you should see houses and cars, and the elevation field should be set for any station reporting an altitude.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
              --- scott@... wrote:

              > Audio output is going to be higher than the OT by
              > default, with R21 at 100k.
              > Maybe I should change that. Replacing it with a
              > 220k resistor should give
              > it exactly the same output as the OT.

              I noticed that the OT2 was considerably "louder". I
              would suggest the part change.

              > You should see them at 4800 baud.

              I have had mine running in HyperTerm for about 3 days
              now decoding non-stop. Looks good so far. I played
              with KISS for a little, but I could'nt get UI-View to
              get past the port opening. Not sure why. Working
              fine with my TNC-X and KISS mode. I'll play with that
              more later.

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics
              www.rpc-electronics.com
            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
                > I have had mine running in HyperTerm for about 3 days
                > now decoding non-stop. Looks good so far. I played
                > with KISS for a little, but I could'nt get UI-View to
                > get past the port opening. Not sure why. Working
                > fine with my TNC-X and KISS mode. I'll play with that
                > more later.

                Hmm. Has to be a null modem cable or course.. and make sure you've got it
                set to 4800 baud. I think that's all the setup I had to do in UI-View.

                Scott
              • Brian B. Riley (N1BQ)
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
                  Well,  OK! My OT2 finally arrived today. I am hoping I have enough time to get it together before I head for Baltimore Wednesday otherwise it will be early the following week.. I have a lot to do before I leave.

                   Scott you are sure weren't kidding about the tight spacing on the microP socket ... I am wondering if it might not be 'cleaner' to do it with solderpaste and a heat gun.

                  cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont

                • Heaton, Brad
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
                    I had to clear all of the stuff in the "Into Kiss" fields and the "Exit Kiss" field for UI-View to behave right.  The OT2 is just in KISS, UI-View doesn't need to do anything to get into/out of KISS.  At least that is what worked for me.

                    -Brad

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
                      More OT2 Testing
                      I didn't want to say in public but I had left the GPS/Fixed on Fixed from my premilinary testing and it wasn't really getting location from the GPS either.  It just happened to be right because I entered my location in the fixed location boxes so my position was ploting right on FindU.  It wasn't until I went to the raw packet page I noticed that all of the positions were exactly the same, no drift.  Opps.  Now that I have that fixed the led blinks once per second like it should for valid GPS fix.  Imagine that.

                      Yes I do get different icons.  I haven't done the specialized ones.  I get a house, car, and an Eiffel Tower looking thing for the digipeater on the hill.  Very Cool.

                      When can I get one of these for each of the foot teams I send out os SAR call-outs?  They would be elated if they could see where each other was while out looking for some lid who got their snow-mobile stuck, at night, during a blizzard, with avalanche conditions at extreme.  But that is a different story.  ;)

                      One other question...  Is there a specific case these are designed to fit?  Have any available?

                      -Brad

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 18, 2006
                        Ah.  Good to know.  Yeah, if it's expecting some sort of response from the TNC after sending commands, it's not going to get it.  There's support in the code to accept TXD settings via KISS, but it's ignored right now.  Other than that, there's no host control of anything.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 20, 2006
                          I haven't had any trouble so far with a chisel-tip iron and fairly small diameter solder.  It really does make you squint to make sure you didn't leave any bridges, though.

                          Scott