Firmware update

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 11, 2006
      New firmware is up, with a fix to dupe checking (for the tracker's own
      beacons), and due to nagging^h^h^h^h popular demand, text output is now on
      one line rather than two.

      Also, the Los Angeles packet traffic audio I mentioned can be downloaded at
      http://n1vg.net/traffic.zip. I think this is the version that I
      deemphasized in Sound Forge, but I'm not sure. Play this on your computer
      or burn it to a CD, and pipe it into your T2 for demodulation testing.

      Scott
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 11, 2006
        The command processing seems to be working now with
        digi'ing switched on (kiss is off though).. I've been
        playing with different profiles all evening..
        with/without GPS, digi-ing, turning on and off the
        voltage/counter.. resetting etc etc..

        If I get a chance over the weekend I'll see if I can
        get the KT-22 (thanks for the replies btw) hooked up
        and get it working I might even have the mosfet by
        then.
        Cheers
        John

        --- scott@... wrote:

        > New firmware is up, with a fix to dupe checking (for
        > the tracker's own
        > beacons), and due to nagging^h^h^h^h popular demand,
        > text output is now on
        > one line rather than two.
        >
        > Also, the Los Angeles packet traffic audio I
        > mentioned can be downloaded at
        > http://n1vg.net/traffic.zip. I think this is the
        > version that I
        > deemphasized in Sound Forge, but I'm not sure. Play
        > this on your computer
        > or burn it to a CD, and pipe it into your T2 for
        > demodulation testing.

      • Wes johnston
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 11, 2006
          I've updated and still dupe checking seems to not work...  here's my xastir log... take note of packets 18:15:52 and :55.
          # 1144793750  Tue Apr 11 18:15:50 EDT 2006
          WS4P-5>APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:$ULTW0000000002DE03BF281CFFFF88AB000101360064044700000000
          # 1144793752  Tue Apr 11 18:15:52 EDT 2006
          WS4P-5>APRS,WIDE1-1,KD4RDB-6*,WIDE2-1:$ULTW0000000002DE03BF281CFFFF88AB000101360064044700000000
          # 1144793754  Tue Apr 11 18:15:54 EDT 2006
          WS4P-5>APRS,KC4PL*,WIDE2-1:$ULTW0000000002DE03BF281CFFFF88AB000101360064044700000000
          # 1144793755  Tue Apr 11 18:15:55 EDT 2006
          WS4P-5>APRS,KC4PL,KD4RDB-6,WIDE2*:$ULTW0000000002DE03BF281CFFFF88AB000101360064044700000000

          firmware is 53835

          Wes

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 12, 2006
            > Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:36:51 -0700
            > From: <scott@...>
            > Subject: Firmware update
            >
            > New firmware is up, with a fix to dupe checking (for the tracker's own
            > beacons), and due to nagging^h^h^h^h popular demand, text output is now on
            > one line rather than two.

            ~~ Snip ~~

            Dumb question perhaps, but where does one find it?
            I looked in the Yahoo Groups' files section, that one seems to be a bit old...
            Alternately, any chance of dropping it in there, perhaps with the version
            number/date in the filename, so we can figure out which is which...?

            -Ian ZL1VFO

          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 12, 2006
              Sorry... it's on the n1vg.net website. From the configuration program, just
              hit the 'Web' button and it'll show you the available files and dates. Once
              it's loaded you can see the build number.

              Scott

            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 30, 2006
                I didn't have time to get the 1-wire weather stuff up and running, but I did
                get the diagnostics working.

                The CALIBRATE command has four functions - it'll send a low tone, high tone,
                alternating tones, or packets. Eventually it'll also provide loopback data,
                but that requires modifying code that's shared with the OpenTracker.

                The DEVLIST command will enumerate all devices on the 1-wire bus. A TAI8515
                weather instrument should show up with 3 addresses, starting with 20, 10,
                and 1D.

                Scott
              • Patrick Gardella
                Message 7 of 27 , May 1, 2006
                  It would be great if the OT2 could detect whether the GPS connection were Garmin or NMEA. I
                  realized that I had forgotten to set my GPS to Garmin mode after I made the same change in the
                  OT2.

                  73,
                  Patrick N3EO

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • scott@opentrac.org
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 1, 2006
                    The difficulty there is that they generally run at different baud rates, and
                    Garmins won't talk on their own - you have to send a command to start the
                    position/velocity/time updates. In Garmin mode, the T2 probes every few
                    seconds - that could do bad things to an NMEA receiver or other serial
                    device.

                    If I get an autobaud function working, that'd cover part of it anyway - it'd
                    be easier to switch from Garmin to NMEA. And maybe I can set it up to probe
                    occasionally if it doesn't hear anything at all.

                    I was also thinking of having it auto-detect Ultimeter 2000 series weather
                    stations, but those add yet another baud rate to check.

                    Scott

                  • scott@opentrac.org
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                      Ok, latest version is posted. I dug up a revised version of the FSK
                      modulator I wrote for the OpenTracker around the end of 2004. It never
                      worked right and I gave up on it at the time, but I took another look at it
                      and found two bugs - an overlooked flag, and an improperly generated sine
                      table. Fixed those and it's working great now.

                      The new code expands the PWM output to 7 bits resolution from 4. This
                      should produce slightly cleaner audio, but it also provides some extra room
                      for scaling.

                      The TXLEVEL command is now implemented, and will scale the audio level over
                      a fairly wide range. I wouldn't take it below about 32 though, or
                      quantization noise might start being a problem.

                      I'll have to see if I've got a radio around here that requires a high audio
                      drive level, and see if I can get the tracker to work on both that and a
                      regular radio with the same hardware setup. At the very least, I'll hook it
                      up to a real 'scope tomorrow and see what I can get for usable voltage
                      ranges.

                      Scott
                    • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 3, 2006
                        On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

                        > TXLEVEL command is now implemented, and will scale the audio level over
                        > a fairly wide range. I wouldn't take it below about 32 though, or
                        > quantization noise might start being a problem.

                        Are there two hardware PWMs on that chip ? Wondering if there is a neat
                        way to "choke" the PWMA by dc from PWMB. Increasing component count,
                        tempco problems, ... Just a thought.

                        Juha, OH5NXO
                      • scott@opentrac.org
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 3, 2006
                          There are, but the other one is used for clock recovery on the receive side.
                          If I wanted to use an extra I/O pin, I guess I could switch it between hi-Z
                          and low to sink the audio signal to ground through a resistor. That'd give
                          two distinct audio ranges.

                          Scott

                        • scott@opentrac.org
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 15, 2006
                            This one is something of an experiment. The only change is that now in
                            Garmin mode the tracker will respond to a product request packet. This is
                            what a PC mapping program uses to identify the device it's connected to.

                            The big question here is which mapping programs will display incoming
                            waypoints when they haven't specifically been requested. I was able to get
                            USAPhotoMaps to plot waypoint by selecting the 'receive waypoints' option.
                            However, there's no guarantee that'll work properly with all mapping
                            programs. When a program requests a waypoint dump, it expects a count of
                            the records, followed by the waypoints themselves, followed by an
                            end-of-transfer packet. In this case, it's only getting waypoint records.
                            What happens depends entirely on how the mapping program was written.

                            This should be a good application for the optional FRAM memory. The tracker
                            could write all waypoints to memory, and then send them using the normal
                            Garmin transfer protocol when requested. Any mapping program that supports
                            Garmin waypoint downloads should then be able to do APRS, but it'll require
                            user intervention. Still, it'll greatly expand your choices for APRS
                            mapping.

                            Anyway, if you've got a favorite mapping program, fire it up and try it out,
                            let me know what happens.

                            Scott
                          • Jason Rausch
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 15, 2006
                              Scott, when I issue a DISPLAY command there are
                              several spots where there is a blank line or lines.
                              Is this intentional? I thought you might be trying to
                              split up blocks of like commands, but near the top of
                              the list is about a 6 line space. Just curious.

                              So far, the lastest seems stable and working fine.

                              Jason KE4NYV
                              RPC Electronics
                              www.rpc-electronics.com

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

                            • scott@opentrac.org
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 15, 2006
                                > Scott, when I issue a DISPLAY command there are
                                > several spots where there is a blank line or lines.
                                > Is this intentional? I thought you might be trying to
                                > split up blocks of like commands, but near the top of
                                > the list is about a 6 line space. Just curious.

                                That's an artifact of how it handles the 'array' type commands. One call to
                                ALIAS causes it to spit out the whole list, and to do that it bypasses the
                                usual output mechanism. That's where the extra line break comes in, and it
                                means those commands don't return anything when used remotely. Still
                                looking for a more elegant solution.

                                Ideally, you should be able to paste the output of the DISPLAY command to
                                another tracker and effectively clone the configuration. There might wind
                                up being some exceptions to that, though.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                                  I've posted a new build (54076), but it's not on the Yahoo group file
                                  section yet. Changes in this version:

                                  "POSITION *" now saves the current GPS position to flash and switches to
                                  fixed position mode.

                                  AUTOSAVE on|off sets the position autosave option. When this option is
                                  enabled, the last position is stored to flash if GPS fix is lost and the
                                  unit switches to fixed position mode. It switches back to GPS mode as soon
                                  as a new fix is available.

                                  Custom symbols have been added for balloon, eyeball, TCP/IP, and Xastir.
                                  I'll upload the new images soon.

                                  NICE <0-255> specifies the number of timed transmissions to skip when the
                                  unit hears its own position from a digipeater. For example, setting
                                  INTERVAL 60 and NICE 4 will result in a transmission interval of 5 minutes
                                  if a digipeated packet is heard, and 1 minute if it isn't.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                                    I just made a slight tweak - the NICE command now only takes effect if the digipeated packet is heard within 5 seconds of a timed transmission.  This might keep you from doing some clever things like setting up two trackers in a failover configuration (as long as they both have the same callsign they'll think the other one is a digi echo), but I think it generally makes more sense and prevents someone else from knocking your transmit rate down by spoofing a packet.

                                    Scott

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006

                                      Interesting idea. Maybe label the base INTERVAL as "NOT NICE" then? hi hi
                                      Hope everybody uses _excellent receiving_ antennas to be courteous to all
                                      the other users hoping to share the frequency!
                                      73, Cap
                                    • Cap Pennell
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006

                                        Spoofing a packet to knock your transmit rate down? Is that really likely
                                        on our friendly amateur radio VHF APRS network? Wow!
                                        Though I've been operating amateur APRS for more than a dozen years, I
                                        haven't seen such "malice" in our network. But I _have often_ seen a
                                        tendency, especially amongst newusers and those _not watching_ everybody's
                                        packets scroll by, to increase transmission rates and broaden digipaths
                                        without understanding the effect that has on all the other users of the
                                        single frequency.

                                        "The Radio Amateur is <snip> FRIENDLY...<snip> cooperation and consideration
                                        for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit."

                                        For this stuff to keep working and be fun, we all gotta share and play nice,
                                        that's all.
                                        73, Cap
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                                          I stole the name from the Unix utility to set process priority.  If anyone has a better idea, let me know!

                                          Scott

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                                            I'm not saying it's likely to happen.  You have to remember that I spent a good portion of a decade working on a military base, involved in network security.  I probably have a slightly paranoid mindset about this stuff.  Whenever I code anything like this, I always think about how it might be abused.

                                            Granted, there aren't many script kiddies out there trying to trash amateur networks, but you do get some real jerks from time to time.  The FCC enforcement letters provide ample evidence of that.

                                            Scott

                                            > I just made a slight tweak - the NICE command now only takes
                                            > effect if the digipeated packet is heard within 5 seconds of a
                                            > timed transmission. This might keep you from doing some clever
                                            > things like setting up two trackers in a failover configuration
                                            > (as long as they both have the same callsign they'll think the
                                            > other one is a digi echo), but I think it generally makes more
                                            > sense and prevents someone else from knocking your transmit rate
                                            > down by spoofing a packet.
                                            >
                                            > Scott

                                            Spoofing a packet to knock your transmit rate down? Is that really likely
                                            on our friendly amateur radio VHF APRS network? Wow!
                                            Though I've been operating amateur APRS for more than a dozen years, I
                                            haven't seen such "malice" in our network. But I _have often_ seen a
                                            tendency, especially amongst newusers and those _not watching_ everybody's
                                            packets scroll by, to increase transmission rates and broaden digipaths
                                            without understanding the effect that has on all the other users of the
                                            single frequency.

                                            "The Radio Amateur is <snip> FRIENDLY...< snip> cooperation and consideration
                                            for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit."

                                            For this stuff to keep working and be fun, we all gotta share and play nice,
                                            that's all.
                                            73, Cap

                                          • Larry Simon
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                                              I would call that being cautious and prevention. Paranoid is a person with a router, 3 firewalls and 4 antivirus suites. Then turn around and complain that the computer runs slow...

                                              Larry Simon
                                              KC7QJO

                                              .

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                                                Nah, here's what you need...

                                                If getting it here from San Jose (and finding a place to put it) wasn't such a problem, I might consider it!  More for RF testing than tinfoil hat type uses, but I'm sure it'd work for both.  Keeps out the alien mind control rays.  =]

                                                Scott

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 11, 2006
                                                  Nah, here's what you need...

                                                  If getting it here from San Jose (and finding a place to put it) wasn't such a problem, I might consider it!  More for RF testing than tinfoil hat type uses, but I'm sure it'd work for both.  Keeps out the alien mind control rays.  =]

                                                  Oh man, if you don't want one from San Jose, I'm going to have a heck of a time convincing you to get the one from here... I can probably do quite a bit better on price, but the shipping and customs paperwork from Edmonton, Alberta will probably kill you!

                                                  The local ham radio store has got one just like it here in town that'd for sale.

                                                  Everyone needs their own Faraday Cage... It works good! I lost the local two metre repeater very nicely when inside. Open the 1 square foot pass through window, and BOOM, in comes the repeater again!

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 11, 2006
                                                    If I was closer, I'd think about finding a way to do it!  I've considered improvising something here.  Part of the garage is walled off and used to be a darkroom - I wonder how much attenuation I could get by lining it with a fine mesh.  The floor would be a pain, though.  And the kids like to hang out there and wouldn't like getting kicked out.

                                                    Scott

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 17, 2008
                                                      I promised a firmware update yesterday, but I got into the FMI code and
                                                      started running into problems. I'm still working on tracking it all
                                                      down, and I'm giving up for the night.

                                                      I've fixed a baud rate setting bug that's apparently been there since
                                                      the beginning, but would only show up in certain specific configurations.

                                                      I also got it to ignore duplicate incoming messages that have already
                                                      been received and ACK'd. This generally happens when the sending side
                                                      didn't get the ACK. This applies to all incoming messages, and not just
                                                      FMI mode.

                                                      I've changed the command prefix for FMI messages from '!' to '--'. It's
                                                      a lot quicker to type on the Nuvi's on-screen keyboard.

                                                      I'll post the new firmware as soon as I get the Garmin comm bug sorted
                                                      out. It's hard to tell if this was something that was there before and
                                                      it just wasn't obvious that it was missing some position packets, or if
                                                      I caused the bug with either the FMI code or the serial handler changes.

                                                      Scott
                                                    • dondorgram
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 18, 2008
                                                        Scott:

                                                        I'm not sure whether you stated previously if adding the FMI code
                                                        affected any other OT2 functions. I loaded the beta version in OT2s
                                                        inluding the ProtoC and used them with the GPSMAP60 as well as the
                                                        Nuvi and did not notice any effects. Was anything dropped when the
                                                        FMI code was added? Are there any issues we need to be aware of
                                                        when we use it with a ProtoC or earlier?

                                                        As a quick warning, I might mention I made up a cable similar to the
                                                        one described by Joe,W0PWJ, and reaffirm his disclaimer. Using one
                                                        might be detrimental to the health of an OT2m using the 78M05.
                                                        Charging currents for the Nuvi with a low battery can exceed 300mA.
                                                        I used a ProtoC with the bigger 78T05 and it got fairly warm. Will
                                                        do a post when I get some more results.

                                                        Graham VE6GW

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 18, 2008
                                                          No, FMI shouldn't have broken anything - worst case, it might confuse
                                                          some non-FMI Garmin receivers, but not if they behave like they're
                                                          supposed to. I didn't take out any other functions, either. Proto C
                                                          should work fine.

                                                          Maybe next time I'll go to a switching regulator - they've got some out
                                                          now that'll switch to LDO mode under low loads, so I guess it's the best
                                                          of both worlds. (Switching noise AND sensitivity to capacitor ESR! =])

                                                          Scott