Re: Configuration methods

  • Ian ZL1VFO
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
      > 2c. Re: Configuration methods
      > Posted by: "Scott Miller" scott@... n1vg
      > Date: Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:48 am ((PST))

      ~Snip~

      > It's probably going to have to wait for my next tracker/TNC. I'm
      > starting to think about that again - I'm planning to stay with a
      > variation of the ARM7 chip I've already experimented with. It'll have
      > two RS-232 ports (with their own connectors), native USB, an SD/MMC
      > slot, and I just decided yesterday that it ought to have a screw
      > terminal block on it for telemetry connections. All of this is probably
      > at least 18 months out, though - I've got plenty to keep me busy right now.

      > Scott

      Well, when you eventually get to that, can you add something like the
      ENC28J60 Stand-Alone Ethernet Controller with SPI Interface to it?
      <http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en022889>
      <http://www.ljcv.net/nic28/>
      I've been casting around for a reasonably cheap Serial-to-Ethernet
      converter, so I can hook the Tracker2 up to the radio remote from the
      PC. Haven't found one that would be considered inexpensive once
      currency conversion and freight costs to ZL get factored into the mix.
      It'd be nice to hook a ENC28J60 direct to a Tracker2, and maybe
      emulate the AGW port 8000 interface, but I don't know
      what code space requirements would be - maybe a bit much for it.

      I'll be quiet now, lest I give you ideas & distract you from your
      website development :)

      -Ian ZL1VFO
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
        On Jan 8, 2008 12:07 AM, Ian ZL1VFO <zl1vfo@...> wrote:
        Well, when you eventually get to that, can you add something like the
        ENC28J60 Stand-Alone Ethernet Controller with SPI Interface to it?

        If you go that far, it'd probably be easier to use something like the WIZnet module or one of the Lantronix modules (wireless maybe?), since they include the TCP and UDP stacks. With the microchip product, you have to implement the bottom three layers of the network stack, in addition to your application layer.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv