KISS Mode

  • Frank Tomesch
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
      I've been trying to get UI-View32 working with a Alinco DR-135T/T2-135
      combo. I got it to work by putting the T2-135 into KISS mode. What I'm
      now trying to figure out is what is the proper method of getting out of
      KISS mode. I like the idea of the control C as mentioned in another note.
      However for the moment it seems one must get AMODE set to AUTO which seems
      to be tricky is you're in KISS Mode. Any ideas on the proper procedure?

      tnx and 73

      ----- Frank -----
      ----- KA1GL -----
    • James A Vincent
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
        Frank,

        I've had the same problems getting my Tracker 2 out off KISS under
        Linux. The only reliable way was to run a perl script which came with
        the program Xastir (see my earlier post to the group). Hopefully Scott
        will look into a reliable way of exiting KISS as I find that the current
        recommended KISS exit sequences don't always work !

        James G1PVZ

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
          Someone mentioned the perl script. I also have a 3-byte binary file
          that I send in my Windows comm program sometimes. Possibly the easiest
          way is to just run the config program with the tracker turned off, then
          turn it on and take it out of KISS mode from there.

          I'll see if I can add the control-C thing this weekend. Assuming the
          power stays up, anyway. Only one glitch today, but the storm's not over
          yet.

          Scott

          Frank Tomesch wrote:

          > I've been trying to get UI-View32 working with a Alinco DR-135T/T2-135
          > combo. I got it to work by putting the T2-135 into KISS mode. What I'm
          > now trying to figure out is what is the proper method of getting out of
          > KISS mode. I like the idea of the control C as mentioned in another note.
          > However for the moment it seems one must get AMODE set to AUTO which seems
          > to be tricky is you're in KISS Mode. Any ideas on the proper procedure?
          >
          > tnx and 73
          >
          > ----- Frank -----
          > ----- KA1GL -----

        • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
            > I'll see if I can add the control-C thing this weekend.

            Control-C to exit KISS mode? Please don't do that. The existing
            scheme to exit KISS mode from the spec is long tested and works well.
            Some individual instances take a bit of tweaking to make it reliable
            but that's always better then breaking the spec and introducting
            potential future implications in the handling of binary data.

            After dealing with KISS all these years - it was just a week ago that
            I noticed on one system the manual exit scheme didn't work if I used
            the right ALT key yet it did if I used the left ALT key. It's always
            something...

            73
            Bill - OA4/WA7NWP

            PS. Manual KISS Exit: ALT 2-5-5 ALT 1-9-2 ALT 2-5-5
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
              It'd be like I've done with Garmin mode - a 1-second pause followed by 3
              ctrl-C's and another pause. That way you can't have the contents of a
              frame trigger it accidentally.

              The ALT-keypad thing doesn't work everywhere, and since the T2 doesn't
              revert to converse mode on power-up, I think there needs to be an easy
              way to get it out of KISS mode.

              Scott

              Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:

              > > I'll see if I can add the control-C thing this weekend.
              >
              > Control-C to exit KISS mode? Please don't do that. The existing
              > scheme to exit KISS mode from the spec is long tested and works well.
              > Some individual instances take a bit of tweaking to make it reliable
              > but that's always better then breaking the spec and introducting
              > potential future implications in the handling of binary data.
              >
              > After dealing with KISS all these years - it was just a week ago that
              > I noticed on one system the manual exit scheme didn't work if I used
              > the right ALT key yet it did if I used the left ALT key. It's always
              > something...
              >
              > 73
              > Bill - OA4/WA7NWP
              >
              > PS. Manual KISS Exit: ALT 2-5-5 ALT 1-9-2 ALT 2-5-5

            • Bob Donnell
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
                AEA, and possibly others, used the same method as one way out of KISS mode.
                AEA also used it as an exit means from HOST and TRANSPARENT modes. For
                their products, as long as you had the baud rate and bits/parity matched, it
                usually worked to get one unstuck.

                73, Bob, KD7NM

                PS: So Bill - when are you coming back to W7 land?

                Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:

                > > I'll see if I can add the control-C thing this weekend.
                >
                > Control-C to exit KISS mode? Please don't do that. The existing scheme
                > to exit KISS mode from the spec is long tested and works well.
                > Some individual instances take a bit of tweaking to make it reliable
                > but that's always better then breaking the spec and introducting
                > potential future implications in the handling of binary data.
                >
                > After dealing with KISS all these years - it was just a week ago that
                > I noticed on one system the manual exit scheme didn't work if I used
                > the right ALT key yet it did if I used the left ALT key. It's always
                > something...
                >
                > 73
                > Bill - OA4/WA7NWP
                >
                > PS. Manual KISS Exit: ALT 2-5-5 ALT 1-9-2 ALT 2-5-5

                Yahoo! Groups Links