Tracker2 KISS and XASTIR

  • James Vincent
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
      Does anyone has any experience in using a T2 and Xastir in KISS
      mode ? I have a Proto C in 2 configurations -

      a, CONFIG 1 In a standalone fixed position mode and
      b, CONFIG 2 In GARMIN mode for mobile tracking

      I am using a laptop running Kubuntu 7.10 with a USB to serial dongle
      which allows terminal control of the T2 using Minicom. (I still can't
      load firmware under Linux though !)

      I placed the T2 in mode a (CONFIG 1) and issued the AMODE KISS command.
      After issuing this command I couldn't get XASTIR to talk to it or get
      minicom to talk either. I tried sending the command

      echo -e "\300\377\300" > /dev/ttyUSB0

      to get it out of KISS but it I didn't work !

      I then using windows (boo!) erased and reflashed the firmware. Leaving
      it in default settings. I issued the AMODE KISS command and XASTIR
      worked fine.

      Questions

      How can I leave the configurations a and b as they are and just issue a
      command to put the T2 in and out of KISS.

      What does the KISS command in the OTCFG windows program do - it doesn't
      seem to work. I would ideally like to do all of this under Linux !

      Should I be using the BMODE KISS command just for KISS and wire up a
      lead to access the B port - would this modes A and B to be usable at the
      same time as KISS ( i.e. mobile GARMIN GPS tracking and XASTIR KISS at
      the same time (unsure if this is possible).

      Thanks,

      James G1PVZ
    • Jason Rausch
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
        James, I am running a T2 RevC (I think!) in KISS with
        XASTIR. I ran into similar problems, regardless of
        the platform. I can't seem to get mine out of KISS
        unless I run the config program and take it out with
        that. Since I leave XASTIR going all of the time now,
        I just put my T2's AMODE into KISS and I leave it
        alone. I have about four T2's now, so I can play with
        the others while I dedicate the RevC to my XASTIR
        machine.

        I have to admit, I am not new to Linux, but I am new
        to making Linux actually work for me (long story).
        So, I am probaly not the best source of an answer on
        this. The more I play with Linux, the more I realize
        how easy I can screw it up :o)

        Merry Christmas,
        Jason KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        --- James Vincent <pseudonoise@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone has any experience in using a T2 and
        > Xastir in KISS
        > mode ? I have a Proto C in 2 configurations -
        >
        > a, CONFIG 1 In a standalone fixed position mode and
        > b, CONFIG 2 In GARMIN mode for mobile tracking
        >
        > I am using a laptop running Kubuntu 7.10 with a USB
        > to serial dongle
        > which allows terminal control of the T2 using
        > Minicom. (I still can't
        > load firmware under Linux though !)
        >
        > I placed the T2 in mode a (CONFIG 1) and issued the
        > AMODE KISS command.
        > After issuing this command I couldn't get XASTIR to
        > talk to it or get
        > minicom to talk either. I tried sending the command
        >
        > echo -e "\300\377\300" > /dev/ttyUSB0
        >
        > to get it out of KISS but it I didn't work !
        >
        > I then using windows (boo!) erased and reflashed the
        > firmware. Leaving
        > it in default settings. I issued the AMODE KISS
        > command and XASTIR
        > worked fine.
        >
        > Questions
        >
        > How can I leave the configurations a and b as they
        > are and just issue a
        > command to put the T2 in and out of KISS.
        >
        > What does the KISS command in the OTCFG windows
        > program do - it doesn't
        > seem to work. I would ideally like to do all of
        > this under Linux !
        >
        > Should I be using the BMODE KISS command just for
        > KISS and wire up a
        > lead to access the B port - would this modes A and B
        > to be usable at the
        > same time as KISS ( i.e. mobile GARMIN GPS tracking
        > and XASTIR KISS at
        > the same time (unsure if this is possible).
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > James G1PVZ
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Cameron (IRLP)
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 23, 2007
          I also found the same thing. I am new to KISS and TNCs in general, but
          what is the difference between "KISS MODE" and the monitor mode that the
          T2 defaults to.

          The problem I am having is that if I run the T2 in Linux by reading raw
          data from the serial port, it seems to echo the received packets back
          into the command mode, and spit out an endless stream of:

          cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
          cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
          cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
          cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI

          What I really need for my project is the T2 default serial mode, without
          the waypoints (WAYPOINTS OFF), and without the command mode. All I want
          is the "MONITOR ON" data, such as

          VE7LTD-7>APO25,etc,etc,etc

          Is that KISS mode?

          When I put the TNC into KISS mode, all I got was a jumble of characters
          each time a packet was received.

          Dave Cameron
          VE7LTD

          James Vincent wrote:
          > Does anyone has any experience in using a T2 and Xastir in KISS
          > mode ? I have a Proto C in 2 configurations -
          >
          > a, CONFIG 1 In a standalone fixed position mode and
          > b, CONFIG 2 In GARMIN mode for mobile tracking
          >
          > I am using a laptop running Kubuntu 7.10 with a USB to serial dongle
          > which allows terminal control of the T2 using Minicom. (I still can't
          > load firmware under Linux though !)
          >
          > I placed the T2 in mode a (CONFIG 1) and issued the AMODE KISS command.
          > After issuing this command I couldn't get XASTIR to talk to it or get
          > minicom to talk either. I tried sending the command
          >
          > echo -e "\300\377\300" > /dev/ttyUSB0
          >
          > to get it out of KISS but it I didn't work !
          >
          > I then using windows (boo!) erased and reflashed the firmware. Leaving
          > it in default settings. I issued the AMODE KISS command and XASTIR
          > worked fine.
          >
          > Questions
          >
          > How can I leave the configurations a and b as they are and just issue a
          > command to put the T2 in and out of KISS.
          >
          > What does the KISS command in the OTCFG windows program do - it doesn't
          > seem to work. I would ideally like to do all of this under Linux !
          >
          > Should I be using the BMODE KISS command just for KISS and wire up a
          > lead to access the B port - would this modes A and B to be usable at the
          > same time as KISS ( i.e. mobile GARMIN GPS tracking and XASTIR KISS at
          > the same time (unsure if this is possible).
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > James G1PVZ

        • Tim Smith
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 24, 2007
            If I set amode to ws2300, can I still pass kiss to UI-view via the
            second port? Looking for a way to concurrently support igate
            (UI-View), WS-2300 and digi concurrently.

            I tried using UI-Weather with the Lacrosse connected directly to the
            PC but am having a different set of problems. I would prefer to have
            the weather station on RF by default and not rely on the PC.

            Side question....does the OT1+ support the Lacrosse WS-2315?

            Happy Holidays,

            Tim
          • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 24, 2007
              How about the other way around?
              bmode ws2300 and amode kiss

              73 de Paulus

              --- Tim Smith <tsmith_groups@...> wrote:

              > If I set amode to ws2300, can I still pass kiss to
              > UI-view via the
              > second port? Looking for a way to concurrently
              > support igate
              > (UI-View), WS-2300 and digi concurrently.
              >
              > I tried using UI-Weather with the Lacrosse connected
              > directly to the
              > PC but am having a different set of problems. I
              > would prefer to have
              > the weather station on RF by default and not rely on
              > the PC.
              >
              > Side question....does the OT1+ support the Lacrosse
              > WS-2315?
              >
              > Happy Holidays,
              >
              > Tim

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • zl1vfo
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 24, 2007
                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...>
                wrote:

                ~~ Big Snip ~~

                > When I put the TNC into KISS mode, all I got was a jumble of characters
                > each time a packet was received.
                >
                > Dave Cameron
                > VE7LTD

                Hi Dave,
                I think the jumble of characters is normal for KISS, as it is more
                'machine readable' than MONITOR mode is, which is the 'Human readable'
                side. I've uploaded 'kiss.txt' into the files area - it might give a
                bit more background information on this mode, although I'm sure there
                is a wealth of info out there, just a matter of locating the wheat in
                all that chaf. :)

                I did also find a list of commands for the OT2.

                DISPLAY and MONITOR commands look interesting

                If you send it 'MONITOR ON' (without quote marks), do you get more
                'Human readable' information back from off-air? Note some packets may
                still appear munged as their position reports may be sent in one of
                several compressed modes, but messages and others should be fairly
                readable.

                73,
                Ian ZL1VFO
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                  Hi all, catching up on mail I've missed over the holidays...

                  Yes, you should still get KISS when using the other port for weather
                  data. At this point you won't get your own packets out of the KISS
                  port, though. I'm working to change that, but it's difficult because
                  some types of packets are assembled on the fly and aren't in a
                  convenient buffer to send to the KISS port.

                  I know it works with the WS-2310 (which is what I've got installed
                  here), but I haven't heard anything about the 2315. As far as I know,
                  all of the 23xx series use the same protocol.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                    As I think someone else explained, KISS is machine-readable, pretty much
                    just raw AX.25 frames. I'm not sure why it's echoing back data - I've
                    never seen that happen before. What about if you use Minicom or something?

                    You might also be able to run it in KISS mode, then use 'kissattach' and
                    either pipe the output of 'listen' into your application, or swipe some
                    code from 'listen' itself to handle the AX.25 parsing.

                    Scott

                    David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:

                    > I also found the same thing. I am new to KISS and TNCs in general, but
                    > what is the difference between "KISS MODE" and the monitor mode that the
                    > T2 defaults to.
                    >
                    > The problem I am having is that if I run the T2 in Linux by reading raw
                    > data from the serial port, it seems to echo the received packets back
                    > into the command mode, and spit out an endless stream of:
                    >
                    > cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
                    > cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
                    > cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
                    > cmd:InvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidInvalidI
                    >
                    > What I really need for my project is the T2 default serial mode, without
                    > the waypoints (WAYPOINTS OFF), and without the command mode. All I want
                    > is the "MONITOR ON" data, such as
                    >
                    > VE7LTD-7>APO25,etc,etc,etc
                    >
                    > Is that KISS mode?
                    >
                    > When I put the TNC into KISS mode, all I got was a jumble of characters
                    > each time a packet was received.
                    >
                    > Dave Cameron
                    > VE7LTD
                    >
                    > James Vincent wrote:
                    > > Does anyone has any experience in using a T2 and Xastir in KISS
                    > > mode ? I have a Proto C in 2 configurations -
                    > >
                    > > a, CONFIG 1 In a standalone fixed position mode and
                    > > b, CONFIG 2 In GARMIN mode for mobile tracking
                    > >
                    > > I am using a laptop running Kubuntu 7.10 with a USB to serial dongle
                    > > which allows terminal control of the T2 using Minicom. (I still can't
                    > > load firmware under Linux though !)
                    > >
                    > > I placed the T2 in mode a (CONFIG 1) and issued the AMODE KISS command.
                    > > After issuing this command I couldn't get XASTIR to talk to it or get
                    > > minicom to talk either. I tried sending the command
                    > >
                    > > echo -e "\300\377\300" > /dev/ttyUSB0
                    > >
                    > > to get it out of KISS but it I didn't work !
                    > >
                    > > I then using windows (boo!) erased and reflashed the firmware. Leaving
                    > > it in default settings. I issued the AMODE KISS command and XASTIR
                    > > worked fine.
                    > >
                    > > Questions
                    > >
                    > > How can I leave the configurations a and b as they are and just issue a
                    > > command to put the T2 in and out of KISS.
                    > >
                    > > What does the KISS command in the OTCFG windows program do - it doesn't
                    > > seem to work. I would ideally like to do all of this under Linux !
                    > >
                    > > Should I be using the BMODE KISS command just for KISS and wire up a
                    > > lead to access the B port - would this modes A and B to be usable at the
                    > > same time as KISS ( i.e. mobile GARMIN GPS tracking and XASTIR KISS at
                    > > the same time (unsure if this is possible).
                    > >

                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > James G1PVZ

                  • James A Vincent
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                      Just an update - I have managed to get the T2 working with XASTIR under
                      KISS in Linux/Kubuntu 7.10.

                      This is how I did it.

                      1,Connect to the T2 using Minicom and issue the command AMODE KISS. This
                      puts the T2 into KISS mode.

                      2. Run XASTIR (in the Interface Control Configure KISS TNC properties
                      menu DO NOT select the "Init KISS-mode on startup" option. I left all of
                      the KISS parameters as default. The port speed was set to 4800 bps and
                      the TNC port set to /dev/ttyUSB0 as I'm using a USB to serial converter).

                      3.After exiting XASTIR to get the T2 out of KISS run the XASTIR script
                      kiss-off-

                      #perl /home/james/xastir/xastir-1.9.2/scripts/kiss-off.pl > /dev/ttyUSB0

                      This is the only way I have found that successfully exits KISS !

                      I've tried

                      echo -e "\300\377\300" > /dev/ttyUSB0 as suggested on the list but this
                      fails.

                      The perl script contains the line -

                      sleep 1;
                      printf("%c%c%c", 192, 255, 192);
                      sleep 1;

                      Not being a software engineer Id be interested to know why the perl
                      script works and the echo command doesn't !

                      The T2 does run its own configuration and KISS concurrently.

                      I only run the T2 and XASTIR for a few minutes. I run it for a bit
                      longer and see what happens.

                      Hope this helps prospective XASTIR/T2 users !

                      Happy New Year !

                      James G1PVZ
                    • Jason KG4WSV
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                        On Dec 27, 2007 4:16 AM, James A Vincent <pseudonoise@...> wrote:

                        Not being a software engineer Id be interested to know why the perl
                        script works and the echo command doesn't !

                        The only difference I can see is that the echo command follows the three characters with a newline, where the perl script doesn't.

                        Of course, echo is usually a shell built-in command , so if you're using a different shell (bash is typical) your echo command may be different than mine.

                        -Jason
                        kg4wsv
                      • Tim Smith
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                          Thanks Scott...I trust you are feeling better by now. I dodged the
                          flu bug so far out here but other family members were flat on their
                          back a few days...

                          Do any of the OT1's support the Lacrosse?

                          73,

                          Tim, N1TI

                          > Hi all, catching up on mail I've missed over the holidays...
                          >
                          > Yes, you should still get KISS when using the other port for weather
                          > data. At this point you won't get your own packets out of the KISS
                          > port, though. I'm working to change that, but it's difficult because
                          > some types of packets are assembled on the fly and aren't in a
                          > convenient buffer to send to the KISS port.
                          >
                          > I know it works with the WS-2310 (which is what I've got installed
                          > here), but I haven't heard anything about the 2315. As far as I know,
                          > all of the 23xx series use the same protocol.
                        • Hank
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                            > Do any of the OT1's support the Lacrosse?

                            According to Scott, no.

                            Here's what he said in August about the LaCrosse WS-2310 (similar
                            to your WS-2315):

                            It won't work on the OT1 or OT1+, at least not yet. I tried,
                            couldn't get it working and I think it's an electrical problem
                            because of the weird interface. It should be OK on the T2-135.

                            Hank
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                              I think someone got it working with the latest firmware I published - it
                              required an external RS-232 driver, though.

                              Scott

                              Hank wrote:

                              > > Do any of the OT1's support the Lacrosse?
                              >
                              > According to Scott, no.
                              >
                              > Here's what he said in August about the LaCrosse WS-2310 (similar
                              > to your WS-2315):
                              >
                              > It won't work on the OT1 or OT1+, at least not yet. I tried,
                              > couldn't get it working and I think it's an electrical problem
                              > because of the weird interface. It should be OK on the T2-135.
                              >
                              > Hank

                            • Hank
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                                > I think someone got it working with the latest firmware I
                                > published - it required an external RS-232 driver, though.

                                Scott,

                                That would be good news if it can be confirmed.
                                Is there any way I can contact that person do you think?

                                If something can be nailed down, I will post it to the
                                opentracker list.

                                Also, what models? OTx? OT+?

                                Hank
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                                  I can't find the emails right now - I'll look tomorrow. It should be
                                  possible to back-port the code to the OT1 series, but I haven't done so
                                  yet. Or at least I didn't update it after I made the most recent mods.

                                  I'm deep into debugging a DTMF decoder right now. Unfortunately I don't
                                  think it'll ever be of any use on the T2 or OT1+ unless I get it sped up
                                  significantly.

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                                    I'll add an item to my to-do list to get a control-C exit for KISS mode
                                    like it does for Garmin mode. It needs a guard time to avoid false
                                    triggers, though.

                                    Scott