Database error GPS

  • Tyson S.
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
      I have been playing around with the new Tracker 2 and with it hooked up to a Garmin GPSmap 60c I often get a Database Error message on the GPS unit when the Tracker2 is sending it waypoints. I did not change the waypoint length setting yet in the T2, but I don't know if that is the problem because it will work just fine for a few minutes in between errors. Any ideas?

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
        That usually means there's some character coming through that the GPS
        receiver doesn't like. Is it in Garmin mode or NMEA?

        Scott

        Tyson S. wrote:

        > I have been playing around with the new Tracker 2 and with it hooked up
        > to a Garmin GPSmap 60c I often get a Database Error message on the GPS
        > unit when the Tracker2 is sending it waypoints. I did not change the
        > waypoint length setting yet in the T2, but I don't know if that is the
        > problem because it will work just fine for a few minutes in between
        > errors. Any ideas?

        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
        > <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>

      • Tyson S.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
          It has been set at NMEA in/out at 4800 baud serial.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
            If you've got a Garmin GPS you'll generally get a lot more out of the T2
            in Garmin binary mode. Still, if you can figure out which station is
            causing the errors, let me know and I'll check on the filtering.

            Scott

            Tyson S. wrote:

            > It has been set at NMEA in/out at 4800 baud serial.

          • Andy AB9FX
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
              I did not connect my GPSMap60CS to Tracker2, I just got the same symptom when 60CS was connected to TM-D710. Database error happened always when status packet was received. Some WPL data output from D710 http://www.aprs.pl/files/d710_waypoint_out.txt There is such data like $GPWPL,B100.00,N,00000.00,E,WA9IVH-9*54
              generating errors in the GPS. Obviously, this is a bug because just status with Grid Square contains position.
              So I would suggest to check data sent from T2 to GPS. Could be another data without valid lat/lon GPS can not handle.
              73
              Andy

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
                On Dec 21, 2007 5:08 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                > That usually means there's some character coming through that the GPS
                > receiver doesn't like. Is it in Garmin mode or NMEA?

                I have tried to connect my database errors with a status packet being
                sent out by one of the local OT units. I have not seen the database
                error occur that can be conclusively attributed to a status packet
                from this unit.

                However, I was able to track down the source of at least some of my
                database errors.

                Let's backtrack a bit... I'm running a D700 into a Garmin GPS II+.

                I recently changed the local network to send repeater objects, and at
                around that time, database errors started showing up.

                EDMNTN>BEACON:;444.80+SB*111111z5332.70N/11329.65WrR50k VE6SBR
                PIGEON>BEACON:;146.88-SS*111111z5255.83N/11351.13WrR60k VE6SS

                Both of these repeater objects cause the Garmin to report a database
                error. I was led astray because these waypoints still appear in the
                database if you look at the waypoint list.

                I had a couple minutes this morning while sitting in the parking lot
                where both of these objects were observed to cause the database error.

                There may be other packets that cause database errors to be reported,
                but I can confirm that these two packets are creating database errors
                for me. Check your latest packets for repeater object packets when you
                notice a database error pop up.

              • Tyson S.
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
                  So it is not just the Tracker 2 that is doing it, it is something with the APRS system if D700's are doing it also?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
                    What would really help is the waypoint output of the tracker. I'll see
                    if I can duplicate it based on the packets you provided.

                    Most often the problem is that the station name has a character (like a
                    decimal point) that the GPS doesn't like. That'll show up on the D700
                    too - but the T2 makes an attempt to filter it. Unfortunately there's
                    not a lot of consistency in what's allowed and what's not. The
                    filtering that exists now (mostly optimized for the Garmin mode) is
                    based on experimentation with about half a dozen different models, but
                    there are variations even between different firmware versions.
                    Magellans, on the other hand, are incredibly forgiving and don't really
                    require any filtering.

                    Scott