Re: [tracker2] T2 demod questions

  • wa2ysm
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
      Tim:
      I too had a lot of trouble with decode on an OT2B (second revision of
      OT2), the new OT2m that I have just put in service appears to be much
      better, but I have not scoped the packets yet. On the OT2B, it appeared
      that the presence of PL tones on the signal was deadly. Some stations,
      using the radio for both voice and packet were not turning PL off when
      sending packets. I was never successful in decoding these.
      Elmer

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
        The EQ jumper is in the input filter section, near C2 and C3. It just
        switches C3 into the audio input path and flattens the filter response.
        It's pretty close to the circuit used by the KPC-3 and I think some of
        the TNC-2 clones as well. Somewhere around here I've got plots of the
        frequency response from the Spice simulation.

        Scott

        Tim Smith wrote:

        > Hi Scott:
        >
        > I was looking at the schematic in the YahooGroups file area to try
        > and see what the EQ jumper actually does. I am missing a few packets
        > from time to time as compared to another TNC that is running a legacy
        > XR2211 demod.
        >
        > I'm looking at audio on both sides of the EQ jumper with and without
        > the jumper and see no difference in how the mark/space tones are
        > handled. I've tried a variety of input levels from an Alinco DR1200
        > data radio. The T2 demod is hearing with a pretty wide dynamic range
        > from 200 mv to over 2v ptp. Live stations out there (around here)
        > range from 300 mv to 2v ptp and am decoding packets at both extremes.
        >
        > I can't find the EQ jumper in the schematic to see what it's supposed
        > to do. Presently, makr/space tones are pretty close in amplitude
        > with a couple of ststions a bit hot on the 1200 hz tone (but no more
        > than 30% difference).
        >
        > Is there an updated schematic and a better explanation of what the EQ
        > jumper is doing?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Tim

      • Tim Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007

          > The EQ jumper is in the input filter section, near C2 and C3. It just
          > switches C3 into the audio input path and flattens the filter response.
          > It's pretty close to the circuit used by the KPC-3 and I think
          some of
          > the TNC-2 clones as well. Somewhere around here I've got plots of the
          > frequency response from the Spice simulation.

          I must be looking at an old schematic (the one in the files area of
          the tracker2 group). I don't see C2 in the demod section. There is a
          C2 on the CPU which appears to be a bypass cap for power. There is
          also a couple of pots on the schematic that I don't see on the board.

          I recorded test tones produced by the T2 and played them back. The EQ
          jumper makes no difference in either tone's amplitude when looking at
          the input pin of the demod.

          I am seeing solid copy with a sound card using AGWPE and what the T2
          misses, the sound card is receiving. I hope to be able to record some
          consistent misses by the T2 to get a better look at the waveform.

          Is there an updated T2 schematic?

          Thanks,

          Tim
        • Hank
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
            > I was looking at the schematic in the YahooGroups file area to try
            > and see what the EQ jumper actually does.

            > I can't find the EQ jumper in the schematic to see what it's
            > supposed to do.

            Tim,

            Take a look at

            t2protoc-schematic.png , Schematic for Proto C revision

            in the files section and you'll see the EQ jumper and C25 (.1) that
            gets put in parallel with C1 (.01).

            > I'm looking at audio on both sides of the EQ jumper with and without
            > the jumper and see no difference in how the mark/space tones are
            > handled.

            That filter is a high pass. Without the jumper, the response
            rises and flattens out around 4.5 KHz.

            With the jumper, it's already flattened by 1 KHz, so both modem
            tones are treated just about equally (at about -5.7 dB average
            referenced to a 1k Ohm source unloaded).

            Without the jumper, 2 KHz is about 4.5 dB stronger than 1 KHz
            (both frequencies still on the skirt of the filter). There is
            also a higher passband loss without the jumper.

            Note that the passband loss of the filter is sensitive to the
            audio source impedance, and an input resistance of much over
            2k Ohms starts to show up in a progressively higher passband
            loss (chiefly due to the shunt 4.7 K Ohm resistor, R8).

            Without assessing the filter properly using a signal generator
            and level sensor (scope or meter), these response differences
            between jumper settings may not be evident.

            Hank
          • Tim Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2007
              > Take a look at
              > t2protoc-schematic.png , Schematic for Proto C revision
              > in the files section and you'll see the EQ jumper and C25 (.1) that
              > gets put in parallel with C1 (.01).

              Thanks Hank...that sheds some light on the input circuit, but I'm
              still having problems with the T2 being either a little deaf or not
              decoding a number of packets for other reasons. I do not see much of
              a difference in EQ jumper impact, either in decoded packets or what I
              see on the scope in terms of mark/space levels. Both radios I have
              tried are discriminator-tapped (Icom and Alinco)...which are fixed
              level, but also tried full audio chain as well. In all cases, the
              software TNC is hearing much better than the T2.

              Scott...I did some side by side tests when deploying the T2 at our
              digi site. In comparing with two different radios using AGWPE with a
              SBII sound card, I was seeing the expected packets being decoded.
              However, when replacing the sound card TNC with the T2, I'm missing
              about 20% of the packets. I tried a wide range of levels from 50mv to
              2v ptp. There is one station that the T2 will not receive at all
              despite EQ settings, audio levels, etc (which happens to be an
              adjacent wide area digi).

              I began to notice this at home when letting the trial run in prep for
              the wide digi installation.

              Anyone else seeing problems with T2 deafness?

              Thanks,

              Tim
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2007
                I've had a couple of reports, but nothing consistent. You're always
                welcome to send it back for testing, and I'll run a full decode test
                against it to see how it compares to the baseline - that'd tell us if
                there's a problem with your specific unit.

                Also, what is your power setup? I've had at least one report of bad
                decode performance that was caused by a noisy power system. Switching
                to battery power made the problem go away.

                I've had at least a couple of people report specifically that their T2
                did BETTER than AGWPE, and while I won't guarantee that'll always be the
                case it ought to be close.

                Scott

                Tim Smith wrote:

                > > Take a look at
                > > t2protoc-schematic.png , Schematic for Proto C revision
                > > in the files section and you'll see the EQ jumper and C25 (.1) that
                > > gets put in parallel with C1 (.01).
                >
                > Thanks Hank...that sheds some light on the input circuit, but I'm
                > still having problems with the T2 being either a little deaf or not
                > decoding a number of packets for other reasons. I do not see much of
                > a difference in EQ jumper impact, either in decoded packets or what I
                > see on the scope in terms of mark/space levels. Both radios I have
                > tried are discriminator-tapped (Icom and Alinco)...which are fixed
                > level, but also tried full audio chain as well. In all cases, the
                > software TNC is hearing much better than the T2.
                >
                > Scott...I did some side by side tests when deploying the T2 at our
                > digi site. In comparing with two different radios using AGWPE with a
                > SBII sound card, I was seeing the expected packets being decoded.
                > However, when replacing the sound card TNC with the T2, I'm missing
                > about 20% of the packets. I tried a wide range of levels from 50mv to
                > 2v ptp. There is one station that the T2 will not receive at all
                > despite EQ settings, audio levels, etc (which happens to be an
                > adjacent wide area digi).
                >
                > I began to notice this at home when letting the trial run in prep for
                > the wide digi installation.
                >
                > Anyone else seeing problems with T2 deafness?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Tim

              • Tim Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007

                  > I've had a couple of reports, but nothing consistent. You're always
                  > welcome to send it back for testing, and I'll run a full decode test
                  > against it to see how it compares to the baseline - that'd tell us if
                  > there's a problem with your specific unit.

                  Thanks Scott...going to try a couple of more things and if no
                  progress, I'll take you up on your offer. -Tim