T2 & Ultimeter II compatibility?

  • Bruce W. Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      Will the OT2m work with a Peet Brothers Ultimeter II?
      Any special settings? Pinouts?

      Bruce

      --
      Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
      Mt. Juliet, TN
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Bruce W. Martin wrote:

        > Will the OT2m work with a Peet Brothers Ultimeter II?
        > Any special settings? Pinouts?
        >
        > Bruce

        Just to clarify what I am trying to do. I want to plug my Ultimeter
        II into the front RJ-11 port of the OT2m. I want to use the OT2m as a
        WX station, fill-in digi, and Igate connected to my javAPRSSrvr Linux
        machine.

        Right now I am using an OT1 connected to an old Icom HT to send out
        WX data that is picked up by my rs-212/kpc3 connected to my Igate.

        The data out and ground pins of the Ultimeter II matches the 1-wire
        input and ground of the front panel RJ-12 of the OT2m.

        Bruce

        --
        Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
        Mt. Juliet, TN
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          The 1-wire input is NOT an RS-232 port - I probably need to make that
          clear in the documentation. You'll need to connect the UII to the rear
          panel data connector.

          It should work, but the rain gauge size is currently fixed and there's
          no way to change it if it doesn't match what you've got. That can be
          changed in the future if I ever find someone that's got the less common
          gauge type.

          Scott

          Bruce W. Martin wrote:

          > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Bruce W. Martin wrote:
          >
          > > Will the OT2m work with a Peet Brothers Ultimeter II?
          > > Any special settings? Pinouts?
          > >
          > > Bruce
          > >

          > Just to clarify what I am trying to do. I want to plug my Ultimeter
          > II into the front RJ-11 port of the OT2m. I want to use the OT2m as a
          > WX station, fill-in digi, and Igate connected to my javAPRSSrvr Linux
          > machine.
          >
          > Right now I am using an OT1 connected to an old Icom HT to send out
          > WX data that is picked up by my rs-212/kpc3 connected to my Igate.
          >
          > The data out and ground pins of the Ultimeter II matches the 1-wire
          > input and ground of the front panel RJ-12 of the OT2m.
          >
          > Bruce
          >
          > --
          > Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
          > Mt. Juliet, TN
          > EM66sf

        • Bruce W. Martin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
            On Dec 2, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

            > The 1-wire input is NOT an RS-232 port - I probably need to make that
            > clear in the documentation. You'll need to connect the UII to the
            > rear
            > panel data connector.

            Ok I created a "Y" cable to separate the the A and B ports. I want to
            hook my javAPRSSrvr and Ultimeter II to the T2. Is there a preferred
            port for each of these?
            The javAPRSSrvr server uses KISS. Is it better for this to be on the A
            or B port?
            If the ports be set to AUTO and I hook up javAPRSSrvr to a port do I
            need to do anything to initialize into KISS and when I quit how do I
            take it out?

            I tried putting javAPRSSrvr on Port A and the Ultimeter II on Port B
            with both set as AUTO. Part of the initialization from javAPRSSrvr was
            to send AMODE KISS. That did not seem to work.

            I tried putting javAPRSSrvr on Port B and the Ultimeter II on Port A
            with both set as AUTO. Part of the initialization from javAPRSSrvr was
            to send BMODE KISS. That did not seem to work.

            I tried putting javAPRSSrvr on Port B and the Ultimeter II on Port A
            with Port A set as AUTO and Port B set as KISS. Part of the
            initialization from javAPRSSrvr was to send BMODE KISS. That did not
            seem to work.

            I still need to check the radio side. I am using a FT-2600 and when I
            set the Squelch to off the busy lamp on the radio stayed on all of the
            time and the RX lamp on the T2 went off. If I set the Squelch to
            anything other than off the RX lamp on the T2 stayed on all of the
            time and the busy lamp on the radio went off and only came on when it
            was receiving some signal.

            Still working through this. Any assistance and advice is appreciated.

            > It should work, but the rain gauge size is currently fixed and there's
            > no way to change it if it doesn't match what you've got. That can be
            > changed in the future if I ever find someone that's got the less
            > common
            > gauge type.

            I have an older Peet Bros. Rain Guage. I think it measures in 0.10
            inch increments. I think the newer ones use 0.010 inch. But it
            currently is not working and I may upgrade it to something newer if I
            can't get it fixed.

            --
            Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
            Mt. Juliet, TN
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
              On Dec 4, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Bruce W. Martin wrote:

              > On Dec 2, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
              >
              >> The 1-wire input is NOT an RS-232 port - I probably need to make that
              >> clear in the documentation. You'll need to connect the UII to the
              >> rear
              >> panel data connector.
              >
              > Ok I created a "Y" cable to separate the the A and B ports. I want to
              > hook my javAPRSSrvr and Ultimeter II to the T2. Is there a preferred
              > port for each of these?

              > I tried putting javAPRSSrvr on Port B and the Ultimeter II on Port A
              > with Port A set as AUTO and Port B set as KISS. Part of the
              > initialization from javAPRSSrvr was to send BMODE KISS. That did not
              > seem to work.

              Found a baud rate mismatch on the javAPRSSrvr and now it is working
              as an Igate.
              <http://home.bwm.us:14501/>
              <http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kq4tv-1>
              <http://aprs.fi/info/KQ4TV-1>

              Looks like the OT2 can work with a WX station or as KISS TNC but not
              both at the same time.
              <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KQ4TV-2>

              2007-12-07 00:26:52 UTC: KQ4TV-2>APOT2A,K1LH-3*,TN3-2,qAo,W4EOC:!
              3613.99N/08628.21W_112/000g...t036T2WX
              2007-12-07 00:28:55 UTC: KQ4TV-2>APOT2A,NT4UX-1*,TN3-2,qAR,KQ4TV-1:!
              3613.99N/08628.21W_112/000g...t036T2WX
              2007-12-07 00:30:58 UTC: KQ4TV-2>APOT2A,K1LH-3*,TN3-2,qAo,N4WS:!
              3613.99N/08628.21W_ 13.3V 17C
              2007-12-07 00:33:01 UTC: KQ4TV-2>APOT2A,K1LH-3*,TN3-2,qAo,N4WS:!
              3613.99N/08628.21W_ 13.2V 17C
              2007-12-07 00:35:01 UTC: KQ4TV-2>APOT2A,K1LH-3*,TN3-2,qAo,W4EOC:!
              3613.99N/08628.21W_ 13.3V 15C

              As you can see it worked fine until I plugged in the Igate to port B
              at 00:28:53. It gated the packet that went through NT4UX-1. Then it
              would ID every 2 minutes but no WX data.

              Bruce, KQ4TV

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2007
                > Ok I created a "Y" cable to separate the the A and B ports. I want to
                > hook my javAPRSSrvr and Ultimeter II to the T2. Is there a preferred
                > port for each of these?

                The ports should be identical, except for the lack of a console function
                on port B.

                > If the ports be set to AUTO and I hook up javAPRSSrvr to a port do I
                > need to do anything to initialize into KISS and when I quit how do I
                > take it out?

                You'd have to add the AMODE or BMODE KISS command. Better to leave the
                port in that mode all the time if that's an option.

                > I tried putting javAPRSSrvr on Port A and the Ultimeter II on Port B
                > with both set as AUTO. Part of the initialization from javAPRSSrvr was
                > to send AMODE KISS. That did not seem to work.

                Try /*AMODE KISS*/ instead.

                > I still need to check the radio side. I am using a FT-2600 and when I
                > set the Squelch to off the busy lamp on the radio stayed on all of the
                > time and the RX lamp on the T2 went off. If I set the Squelch to
                > anything other than off the RX lamp on the T2 stayed on all of the
                > time and the busy lamp on the radio went off and only came on when it
                > was receiving some signal.

                There's a TXINVERT option if it's backwards, and you can also use SWDCD,
                which is usually preferred anyway.