Re: OT2 1wire problem

  • Tim Smith
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2007
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Brian Riley <n1bq@...> wrote:

      > I am not sure, but I seem to remember from a while back DS18S20s are
      > being shipped marked as DS1820s and the only way to tell them part is
      > date code.

      I just got a note back from Support [support@...] as follows:

      "They are DS18S20, Dallas doesn't even make the older DS1820 anymore
      but for some reason they didn't change the marking on the outside of
      the chip. I have never sold any DS1820, I have always sold DS18S20.
      Also the DS1820 only came in a larger PR-35 package not the TO-92
      package of the DS18S20."

      73,

      Tim
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 16, 2009
        "The DS18S20 replaced the DS1820 some time ago, and unfortunately I can't
        find the original datasheet to see the differences. I guessed that it
        might be a conversion timing problem though, so I doubled the wait time and
        sure enough, it works fine now."

        Hi Scott,

        Sometime ago, 27 November 2007, you mentioned you could not find an old
        datasheet for the DS1820. I have one with a copyright date on 1995. Another
        note on the bottom is 021497 which might be a date in 1997.

        Do you want a copy? I can post it on the group easy enough for a download or
        send it directly.

        Another question, how many temperature sensors can be connected? I only need
        one now but am just wondering.

        Thanks!

        Best regards,
        Fred
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
          > Sometime ago, 27 November 2007, you mentioned you could not find an old
          > datasheet for the DS1820. I have one with a copyright date on 1995. Another
          > note on the bottom is 021497 which might be a date in 1997.
          >
          > Do you want a copy? I can post it on the group easy enough for a
          download or
          > send it directly.

          I think I dug one up a while ago, but thanks.

          > Another question, how many temperature sensors can be connected? I only need
          > one now but am just wondering.

          As many as you want, but it'll only read the first one! That's another
          thing I hope to tackle with scripting. At least the script area has
          room to store the device IDs.

          Scott
        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
            >> Sometime ago, 27 November 2007, you mentioned you could not find an old
            >> datasheet for the DS1820. I have one with a copyright date on 1995.
            Another
            >> note on the bottom is 021497 which might be a date in 1997.
            >>
            >> Do you want a copy? I can post it on the group easy enough for a
            >> download or send it directly.
            >
            >I think I dug one up a while ago, but thanks.
            >
            >> Another question, how many temperature sensors can be connected? I only
            need
            >> one now but am just wondering.
            >
            >As many as you want, but it'll only read the first one! That's another
            >thing I hope to tackle with scripting. At least the script area has
            >room to store the device IDs.
            >
            >Scott

            Does the DS1820 and the DS18S20 work now? I have a few of the DS1820 left
            over from a previous project and I would like to use one if I can. I guess I
            could just try it but the whole project has been put on hold die to the lack
            of the new radio (GE Phoenix) getting checked out and installed.

            Thanks!
            Fred
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
              Yes, they *should* both be working.

              Scott

              Fred Hillhouse wrote:

              > >> Sometime ago, 27 November 2007, you mentioned you could not find an old
              > >> datasheet for the DS1820. I have one with a copyright date on 1995.
              > Another
              > >> note on the bottom is 021497 which might be a date in 1997.
              > >>
              > >> Do you want a copy? I can post it on the group easy enough for a
              > >> download or send it directly.
              > >
              > >I think I dug one up a while ago, but thanks.
              > >
              > >> Another question, how many temperature sensors can be connected? I only
              > need
              > >> one now but am just wondering.
              > >
              > >As many as you want, but it'll only read the first one! That's another
              > >thing I hope to tackle with scripting. At least the script area has
              > >room to store the device IDs.
              > >
              > >Scott
              >
              > Does the DS1820 and the DS18S20 work now? I have a few of the DS1820 left
              > over from a previous project and I would like to use one if I can. I guess I
              > could just try it but the whole project has been put on hold die to the lack
              > of the new radio (GE Phoenix) getting checked out and installed.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Fred

            • Fred Hillhouse
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                Thanks Scott! I'll get one added to my schematic.