Re: [tracker2] Re: Suppress wide3-x , wide4-x. ...

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
      On Nov 29, 2007 8:15 PM, EM Sharp <wa2ysm@...> wrote:

      > Does Scott interpret aliases WIDE and WIDE1 and WIDE3 differently, or
      > does he only look for a SSID on them? I am assuming, in your reply,
      > that only WIDE is specified in the alias list and that WIDE1-, WIDE2,
      > etc are not explicitly specified with an associated hoplimit, use, etc.

      WIDE is a different alias than WIDEn-N, and would be interpreted and
      acted upon differently.

      However, Scott implemented the hop limit portion of the WIDEn-N
      concept by only limiting the number of hops in the SSID. If you set
      your alias to WIDE, and hop limit to 3, then any WIDEn-N where N is
      less than 4 gets acted upon. The n value is ignored. This means that
      people can not initiate long hop paths from within your digipeater
      coverage area, but you will act upon long hop paths that come into
      your area with the number of hops left being equal to, or less than
      your hop limit value. Effectively you protect those digipeaters around
      you, and you have to hope that those around you protect your
      digipeater.