RE: [tracker2] Compatible GPS Displays?

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
      This link was shared with me once: http://info. aprs.net/ index.php? title=Hardware

      Look in the contents at #7.

      Fred

      From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of R. Braddock
      Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:02
      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [tracker2] Compatible GPS Displays?

      Hi,

      Since installing my OT2 in the Alinco DR-135, I have been thinking of
      a map display to compliment this setup. With the proliferation of
      cheap GPS display devices, I am wondering which models would support
      mapping objects. Obviously, the (expensive) AvMap works so well with
      the Kenwood. But, I am seeing these things in the $100 range and would
      like to consider the next step. But, I don't want to rush out to
      purchase one only to find out that it is not compatible. There has
      been a lot of mention of Garmin devices here. Is there a list of GPS
      displays that will interface with the OT2?

      Thanks,

      Brad AE4BP

    • R. Braddock
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
        Thanks, Fred. That is helpful.

        I guess that I am curios to know if some of the current models of
        mobile mapping GPSes will interface to a TNC or not (ie. TomTom and
        various others). And, how is this accomplished? I know that most of
        these units have a USB cable with them for uploading maps, etc. But,
        can this be connected to the OT2 serial port and will it allow for
        two-way communication; NMEA output to the OT2 and waypoint object to
        the GPS map?

        I guess I am looking to recreate the function of the AvMap/Kenwood
        D700 on the cheap!

        Thanks again,
        Brad AE4BP

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote: