Re: [tracker2] Digi config sample

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2007
      > Yup, so for sending a beacon text string, we would want a command that
      > would allow us to set periodicity (with an optional offset), path, and
      > the actual string to send.

      I'll have to consider how to do a variable path. You could just use the
      PATH command, but that causes a flash write and erase, and the flash has
      limited write endurance (about 100,000 cycles), and every time you do
      that it flushes the RX buffer since that's the only place it has room
      for the flash block.

      Maybe I'll add a script command to send an entire raw packet, or at
      least from the path section on - that'd allow alternate PIDs (like
      OpenTRAC!) too. It'd just be up to the config program/editor to compose
      the packets properly.

      > With that simple capability, you could send a bunch of different
      > beacons from the OT2, rather than being limited to just one in the
      > status text line.

      Exactly, limited only by available space, and with as much flexibility
      in the timing as you want. And with the remote command capability, you
      can change the behavior remotely - for example, you could make a macro
      that sets a flag to change to an alternate set of beacons during an
      emergency response.

      As I was out driving this evening it occurred to me that I should also
      add a message substring search, for regular APRS messages and not just
      authenticated commands. That way, you can add USER functions that are
      accessible to anyone and not just sysops. That could be a subset of the
      configuration functions, or entirely new functions. Have it watch for
      the string 'LIGHTS ON', and your macro can turn on your driveway lights
      for a pre-set period (via the 12-volt switch and a relay) without having
      to add users to the AUTHLIST.

      > Well, if you were a code programmer for Microsoft, I doubt you could
      > make the caps lock led blink on and off with that little code space,
      > but efficient coding skills can sure to a lot in that much space.

      By this point most of the common library functions are already in
      memory, so the last 8k goes a lot further than the first 8k did. Still,
      next time I'm going with at LEAST 256k of flash, and 64k of RAM!