New T2 and WinAprs

  • amargosajoe
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
      I have looked quite a bit for configuration info and theory on how to
      use the T2 with WinAprs, specifically having a GPS connected to the B
      port and a PC connected to the A port, still beaconing live GPS
      positions and still doing messaging with the PC. Maybe it's asking a
      bit too much to do these functions concurrently.

      Ideas?

      73's
      Joe
      KB6JC
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12, 2007
        That shouldn't be a problem, just set AMODE to KISS. I'm assuming
        WinAPRS supports KISS, anyway - I don't use it myself.

        Scott

        amargosajoe wrote:

        > I have looked quite a bit for configuration info and theory on how to
        > use the T2 with WinAprs, specifically having a GPS connected to the B
        > port and a PC connected to the A port, still beaconing live GPS
        > positions and still doing messaging with the PC. Maybe it's asking a
        > bit too much to do these functions concurrently.
        >
        > Ideas?
        >
        > 73's
        > Joe
        > KB6JC

      • Joe DeLee
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007

          Thank you for your help. Would you suggest a different program to do those two functions simultaneously without using the KISS mode?

          Joe

          To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
          From: scott@...
          Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:15:31 -0800
          Subject: Re: [tracker2] New T2 and WinAprs

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007
            I don't like interfacing TNCs in converse mode at all. People have
            reported success using the T2 that way, but I won't make any guarantees.

            Scott

            Joe DeLee wrote:

            > Thank you for your help. Would you suggest a different program to do
            > those two functions simultaneously without using the KISS mode?
            >

            > Joe

            > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
            > From: scott@...
            > Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:15:31 -0800
            > Subject: Re: [tracker2] New T2 and WinAprs
            >
            > That shouldn't be a problem, just set AMODE to KISS. I'm assuming
            > WinAPRS supports KISS, anyway - I don't use it myself.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > amargosajoe wrote:
            > >

            > > I have looked quite a bit for configuration info and theory on how to
            > > use the T2 with WinAprs, specifically having a GPS connected to the B
            > > port and a PC connected to the A port, still beaconing live GPS
            > > positions and still doing messaging with the PC. Maybe it's asking a
            > > bit too much to do these functions concurrently.
            > >
            > > Ideas?
            > >
            > > 73's
            > > Joe
            > > KB6JC

            > Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!
            > <http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us>

          • Joe DeLee
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007

              Here's my scenario;

              I spend time deep in the Sierras in many places where the ONLY radio coverage is on 144.390 mhz, and there is an Igate down in Bishop. It has been my goal to be able to beacon live GPS and use the messaging features of Aprs without having to configure back and forth between the two, and also keep the laptop connected so incoming messages are displayed and acknowledged. Both functions work well now, but not concurrently.

              TNX AGN,

              Joe.

              To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
              From: scott@...
              Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:03:49 -0800

              Joe DeLee wrote:

              > Thank you for your help. Would you suggest a different program to do
              > those two functions simultaneously without using the KISS mode?
              >

              > Joe

              > To: tracker2@yahoogroup s.com
              > From: scott@opentrac. org
              > Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:15:31 -0800
              > Subject: Re: [tracker2] New T2 and WinAprs
              >
              > That shouldn't be a problem, just set AMODE to KISS. I'm assuming
              > WinAPRS supports KISS, anyway - I don't use it myself.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > amargosajoe wrote:
              > >

              > > I have looked quite a bit for configuration info and theory on how to
              > > use the T2 with WinAprs, specifically having a GPS connected to the B
              > > port and a PC connected to the A port, still beaconing live GPS
              > > positions and still doing messaging with the PC. Maybe it's asking a
              > > bit too much to do these functions concurrently.
              > >
              > > Ideas?
              > >
              > > 73's
              > > Joe
              > > KB6JC

              > Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!
              > <http://www.reallive moms.com? ocid=TXT_ TAGHM&loc= us>

              Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007
                Ah. Well, what are you using for the messaging functions now?

                Scott

                Joe DeLee wrote:

                > Here's my scenario;
                >
                > I spend time deep in the Sierras in many places where the ONLY radio
                > coverage is on 144.390 mhz, and there is an Igate down in Bishop. It has
                > been my goal to be able to beacon live GPS and use the messaging
                > features of Aprs without having to configure back and forth between the
                > two, and also keep the laptop connected so incoming messages are
                > displayed and acknowledged. Both functions work well now, but not
                > concurrently.
                >
                > TNX AGN,
                >
                > Joe.

                > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                > From: scott@...
                > Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:03:49 -0800
                > Subject: Re: [tracker2] New T2 and WinAprs
                >
                > I don't like interfacing TNCs in converse mode at all. People have
                > reported success using the T2 that way, but I won't make any guarantees.
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > Joe DeLee wrote:
                > >

                > > Thank you for your help. Would you suggest a different program to do
                > > those two functions simultaneously without using the KISS mode?
                > >

                > > Joe

                > > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
                > > From: scott@... <mailto:scott@...>
                > > Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:15:31 -0800
                > > Subject: Re: [tracker2] New T2 and WinAprs
                > >
                > > That shouldn't be a problem, just set AMODE to KISS. I'm assuming
                > > WinAPRS supports KISS, anyway - I don't use it myself.
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >
                > > amargosajoe wrote:
                > > >

                > > > I have looked quite a bit for configuration info and theory on
                > how to
                > > > use the T2 with WinAprs, specifically having a GPS connected to
                > the B
                > > > port and a PC connected to the A port, still beaconing live GPS
                > > > positions and still doing messaging with the PC. Maybe it's
                > asking a
                > > > bit too much to do these functions concurrently.
                > > >
                > > > Ideas?
                > > >
                > > > 73's
                > > > Joe
                > > > KB6JC

                > > Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!
                > > <http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us
                > <http://www.reallivemoms.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us>>

                > Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop
                > by today!
                > <http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline>

              • Joe DeLee
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007
                  WinAprs.

                  J.

                  To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                  From: scott@...
                  Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:18:01 -0800

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007
                    WinAPRS isn't using the T2's own messaging functions, then. It should
                    do messaging just fine in KISS mode.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007

                      Just changed to KISS mode and all WinAprs functions work with the exception of the live GPS beacons, and I have yet to get that working at all with the T2. I have used only the KPC3 for many years before now. Regardless of AMODE, I guess I need to understand how the nmea data makes its way into WinAprs while connected to pins 7 and 8 and what T2 commands are necessary, BMODE to flow, or auto, etc.

                      TNX much!

                      J.

                      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                      From: scott@...
                      Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:56:52 -0800

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 13, 2007
                        On Nov 13, 2007 1:35 PM, Joe DeLee <amargosajoe@...> wrote:

                        > Just changed to KISS mode and all WinAprs functions work with the exception
                        > of the live GPS beacons,

                        What do you mean by live GPS beacons? Are you simply referring to
                        sending APRS position reports?

                        The T2 will do this no problem. You shouldn't be trying to stream live
                        GPS data over 144.390. The GPS data stream is continuous, and you
                        would be constantly transmitting. You'd never see anyone else, or be
                        able to send and receive messages.

                        Set the T2 up to transmit your position as a tracker, and it will
                        continue to do so even when KISS mode is turned on.

                      • Joe DeLee
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 14, 2007

                          James,

                          "Live GPS beacons", was not meant to be continuous streaming, rather just position reports with live data.
                          What I haven't yet figured out is how to configure the T2 as a tracker, but I'll dig deeper in the documentation.

                          Thanks,

                          Joe
                          KB6JC
                          QCWA

                          To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                          From: ve6srv@...
                          Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:22:00 -0700

                            From: ve6srv@...
                            Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:22:00 -0700

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 14, 2007
                              The T2 comes configured as a tracker. The only parameter you really
                              need to check is the interval. As long as you've got NMEA data coming
                              in to a port set to AUTO, or Garmin data on a port set to GARMIN, it'll
                              transmit positions at the rate specified by the INTERVAL setting. Or by
                              the smartbeaconing settings, if enabled.

                              Scott

                            • Rice, MA Mark @ IS
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 14, 2007
                                Scott, I just wanted to let you know I've really enjoyed using the OT2M.
                                I don't have it all figured out (and likely never will) but I've had a
                                good time setting it up for different activities and changing the config
                                for various purposes.

                                Keep up the good work.

                                - Mark
                                N4CMB