Re: [tracker2] Re: Tx-Mic line

  • Tom Crawford
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
      All is working fine now. I just had not opened the case since getting the unit.
      I did so and placed the jumper across the "HT" pins and that did it.

      Thanks to all of you who responded.

      I do have two other questions:
      The manual talks about Rx equilization. The packets are decoded just fine with one of the HTs (Vx-7r) but does not decode the packets using the HTX-200.
      I have used a range of volume settings. Would Rx equilization have any affect?

      As I said, I am receiving and decoding packets with the VX-7R (they are displayed on a terminal program).
      Having said that, I never see the Rx LED on the Tracker2 light/blink.  What function does this LED serve/indicate?

      Thanks again,
      Tom, W3TMC

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
        Try the RX EQ jumper and see if it helps. Normally it's better to leave
        it off with an HT, but try it and see. Also, you might try running open
        squelch - maybe the HTX-200 is cutting off incoming packets.

        If you're receiving but the LED never turns on, then either you've got a
        bad LED or an old firmware version. Does the ACT LED blink green?
        Also, do you see the TX and RX LEDs blink when the unit first powers up?

        Scott

        Tom Crawford wrote:

        > All is working fine now. I just had not opened the case since getting
        > the unit.
        > I did so and placed the jumper across the "HT" pins and that did it.
        >
        > Thanks to all of you who responded.
        >
        > I do have two other questions:
        > The manual talks about Rx equilization. The packets are decoded just
        > fine with one of the HTs (Vx-7r) but does not decode the packets using
        > the HTX-200.
        > I have used a range of volume settings. Would Rx equilization have any
        > affect?
        >
        > As I said, I am receiving and decoding packets with the VX-7R (they are
        > displayed on a terminal program).
        > Having said that, I never see the Rx LED on the Tracker2 light/blink.
        > What function does this LED serve/indicate?
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Tom, W3TMC

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
          Update - OK now - I have grown to expect the unexplainable from
          computers but this is too strange ......

          To answer Scott's questions:
          All the LEDs come on at startup.
          The ACT LED never blinked green.

          Now - here are the facts (I promise this is the truth!)

          I had been powering the Tracker2 on a wall wart that was supposed to
          be 12VDC but was actually 16VDC. Just to see if it would really run
          OK on lower voltage, I connected it to a 9v battery. It seemed to
          work fine. I then noticed that the green Rx LED was coming on.
          Sometimes I would see a packet decoded without it blinking but most
          of the time there is a blink and then text on the screen. And BTW
          the activity light blinks too – I ~think~ it is blinking in response
          to GPS data.

          Having the idea that I was onto something of a voltage issue, I went
          back to the wall wart. Surprise - everything still works fine!

          Fun stuff!

          73,
          Tom, W3TMC

          PS – The Rx equalization didn't make any difference with the little
          HTX-200.