Re: [tracker2] Re: Tx-Mic line

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
      If the internal resistor value doesn't work, you can always pull the HT
      jumper and use an external resistor. I don't think you'll need the 10uF
      cap.

      Scott

      essandvik wrote:

      > Howdy Tom,
      > The VX-6R manual shows the packet interface should have a 2k
      > resistor in series with PTT, and a 10uF cap in series with the MIC.
      > I have built a cable with these values, and have the problem you
      > were describing. It looks like the Tracker2 has a .1uF cap and 2.2k
      > resistor. If you are able to find the right combination, or
      > otherwise get your 7R to work, please share.
      > -Scott Sandvik KE5OHF

      > "Tom" <tmcsail@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello to the Group,
      > >
      > > I have a bit of a mystery with my new Tracker2.
      > >
      > > Using my VX-7R, the Tracker does not cause the HT to transmit
      > (even
      > > though the Tx LED comes on).
      > >
      > > However, using my old Radio Shack HT, everything works just fine.
      > >
      > > So - the only connections to the HTs (either one) are Mic and
      > audio
      > > out. The Tracker is configured as I received it - except to enter
      > > mycall.
      > >
      > > Any ideas?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Tom, W3TMC

    • Tom Crawford
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
        All is working fine now. I just had not opened the case since getting the unit.
        I did so and placed the jumper across the "HT" pins and that did it.

        Thanks to all of you who responded.

        I do have two other questions:
        The manual talks about Rx equilization. The packets are decoded just fine with one of the HTs (Vx-7r) but does not decode the packets using the HTX-200.
        I have used a range of volume settings. Would Rx equilization have any affect?

        As I said, I am receiving and decoding packets with the VX-7R (they are displayed on a terminal program).
        Having said that, I never see the Rx LED on the Tracker2 light/blink.  What function does this LED serve/indicate?

        Thanks again,
        Tom, W3TMC

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
          Try the RX EQ jumper and see if it helps. Normally it's better to leave
          it off with an HT, but try it and see. Also, you might try running open
          squelch - maybe the HTX-200 is cutting off incoming packets.

          If you're receiving but the LED never turns on, then either you've got a
          bad LED or an old firmware version. Does the ACT LED blink green?
          Also, do you see the TX and RX LEDs blink when the unit first powers up?

          Scott

          Tom Crawford wrote:

          > All is working fine now. I just had not opened the case since getting
          > the unit.
          > I did so and placed the jumper across the "HT" pins and that did it.
          >
          > Thanks to all of you who responded.
          >
          > I do have two other questions:
          > The manual talks about Rx equilization. The packets are decoded just
          > fine with one of the HTs (Vx-7r) but does not decode the packets using
          > the HTX-200.
          > I have used a range of volume settings. Would Rx equilization have any
          > affect?
          >
          > As I said, I am receiving and decoding packets with the VX-7R (they are
          > displayed on a terminal program).
          > Having said that, I never see the Rx LED on the Tracker2 light/blink.
          > What function does this LED serve/indicate?
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Tom, W3TMC

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
            Update - OK now - I have grown to expect the unexplainable from
            computers but this is too strange ......

            To answer Scott's questions:
            All the LEDs come on at startup.
            The ACT LED never blinked green.

            Now - here are the facts (I promise this is the truth!)

            I had been powering the Tracker2 on a wall wart that was supposed to
            be 12VDC but was actually 16VDC. Just to see if it would really run
            OK on lower voltage, I connected it to a 9v battery. It seemed to
            work fine. I then noticed that the green Rx LED was coming on.
            Sometimes I would see a packet decoded without it blinking but most
            of the time there is a blink and then text on the screen. And BTW
            the activity light blinks too – I ~think~ it is blinking in response
            to GPS data.

            Having the idea that I was onto something of a voltage issue, I went
            back to the wall wart. Surprise - everything still works fine!

            Fun stuff!

            73,
            Tom, W3TMC

            PS – The Rx equalization didn't make any difference with the little
            HTX-200.