Tx-Mic line

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hello to the Group,

      I have a bit of a mystery with my new Tracker2.

      Using my VX-7R, the Tracker does not cause the HT to transmit (even
      though the Tx LED comes on).

      However, using my old Radio Shack HT, everything works just fine.

      So - the only connections to the HTs (either one) are Mic and audio
      out. The Tracker is configured as I received it - except to enter
      mycall.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Tom, W3TMC
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
        By TX LED, do you mean the one on the tracker or the one on the radio?
        Here's what I found for the VX-7R pinout:

        http://www.kc8unj.com/pinout.jpg

        Scott

        Tom wrote:

        > Hello to the Group,
        >
        > I have a bit of a mystery with my new Tracker2.
        >
        > Using my VX-7R, the Tracker does not cause the HT to transmit (even
        > though the Tx LED comes on).
        >
        > However, using my old Radio Shack HT, everything works just fine.
        >
        > So - the only connections to the HTs (either one) are Mic and audio
        > out. The Tracker is configured as I received it - except to enter
        > mycall.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tom, W3TMC

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
          the one on the Tracker.....
          Maybe the resistor/cap aren't the right value for this radio?
          tom

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
            I've never heard about a problem with the VX-7R. I know it works fine
            with the VX-150. I swiped my son's and use it for testing. I suppose I
            can give it back now that I've got a pile of PX-777's on hand (now only
            $90 at argentdata.com! =])

            You have the HT jumper set, right?

            Scott

            Tom wrote:

            > the one on the Tracker.....
            > Maybe the resistor/cap aren't the right value for this radio?
            > tom

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > By TX LED, do you mean the one on the tracker or the one on the
            > radio?
            > > Here's what I found for the VX-7R pinout:
            > >
            > > http://www.kc8unj.com/pinout.jpg <http://www.kc8unj.com/pinout.jpg>
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > Tom wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hello to the Group,
            > > >
            > > > I have a bit of a mystery with my new Tracker2.
            > > >
            > > > Using my VX-7R, the Tracker does not cause the HT to transmit
            > (even
            > > > though the Tx LED comes on).
            > > >
            > > > However, using my old Radio Shack HT, everything works just fine.
            > > >
            > > > So - the only connections to the HTs (either one) are Mic and
            > audio
            > > > out. The Tracker is configured as I received it - except to enter
            > > > mycall.
            > > >
            > > > Any ideas?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Tom, W3TMC

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
              Hi Tom,

              According to the VX-7R manual under the "Interface to Packet TNCs" you can find a schematic to get started with. I built a cable some time ago for a different model (FT-51r) and it worked fine. I think the cable I built actually has the same values.

              Best regards,
              Fred

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

              > By TX LED, do you mean the one on the tracker or the one on the
              radio?
              > Here's what I found for the VX-7R pinout:
              >
              > http://www.kc8unj. com/pinout. jpg
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > Tom wrote:
              > >

              > > Hello to the Group,
              > >
              > > I have a bit of a mystery with my new Tracker2.
              > >
              > > Using my VX-7R, the Tracker does not cause the HT to transmit
              (even
              > > though the Tx LED comes on).
              > >
              > > However, using my old Radio Shack HT, everything works just fine.
              > >
              > > So - the only connections to the HTs (either one) are Mic and
              audio
              > > out. The Tracker is configured as I received it - except to enter
              > > mycall.
              > >
              > > Any ideas?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Tom, W3TMC

            • essandvik
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                Howdy Tom,
                The VX-6R manual shows the packet interface should have a 2k
                resistor in series with PTT, and a 10uF cap in series with the MIC.
                I have built a cable with these values, and have the problem you
                were describing. It looks like the Tracker2 has a .1uF cap and 2.2k
                resistor. If you are able to find the right combination, or
                otherwise get your 7R to work, please share.
                -Scott Sandvik KE5OHF

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                  If the internal resistor value doesn't work, you can always pull the HT
                  jumper and use an external resistor. I don't think you'll need the 10uF
                  cap.

                  Scott

                  essandvik wrote:

                  > Howdy Tom,
                  > The VX-6R manual shows the packet interface should have a 2k
                  > resistor in series with PTT, and a 10uF cap in series with the MIC.
                  > I have built a cable with these values, and have the problem you
                  > were describing. It looks like the Tracker2 has a .1uF cap and 2.2k
                  > resistor. If you are able to find the right combination, or
                  > otherwise get your 7R to work, please share.
                  > -Scott Sandvik KE5OHF

                  > "Tom" <tmcsail@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello to the Group,
                  > >
                  > > I have a bit of a mystery with my new Tracker2.
                  > >
                  > > Using my VX-7R, the Tracker does not cause the HT to transmit
                  > (even
                  > > though the Tx LED comes on).
                  > >
                  > > However, using my old Radio Shack HT, everything works just fine.
                  > >
                  > > So - the only connections to the HTs (either one) are Mic and
                  > audio
                  > > out. The Tracker is configured as I received it - except to enter
                  > > mycall.
                  > >
                  > > Any ideas?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Tom, W3TMC

                • Tom Crawford
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                    All is working fine now. I just had not opened the case since getting the unit.
                    I did so and placed the jumper across the "HT" pins and that did it.

                    Thanks to all of you who responded.

                    I do have two other questions:
                    The manual talks about Rx equilization. The packets are decoded just fine with one of the HTs (Vx-7r) but does not decode the packets using the HTX-200.
                    I have used a range of volume settings. Would Rx equilization have any affect?

                    As I said, I am receiving and decoding packets with the VX-7R (they are displayed on a terminal program).
                    Having said that, I never see the Rx LED on the Tracker2 light/blink.  What function does this LED serve/indicate?

                    Thanks again,
                    Tom, W3TMC

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                      Try the RX EQ jumper and see if it helps. Normally it's better to leave
                      it off with an HT, but try it and see. Also, you might try running open
                      squelch - maybe the HTX-200 is cutting off incoming packets.

                      If you're receiving but the LED never turns on, then either you've got a
                      bad LED or an old firmware version. Does the ACT LED blink green?
                      Also, do you see the TX and RX LEDs blink when the unit first powers up?

                      Scott

                      Tom Crawford wrote:

                      > All is working fine now. I just had not opened the case since getting
                      > the unit.
                      > I did so and placed the jumper across the "HT" pins and that did it.
                      >
                      > Thanks to all of you who responded.
                      >
                      > I do have two other questions:
                      > The manual talks about Rx equilization. The packets are decoded just
                      > fine with one of the HTs (Vx-7r) but does not decode the packets using
                      > the HTX-200.
                      > I have used a range of volume settings. Would Rx equilization have any
                      > affect?
                      >
                      > As I said, I am receiving and decoding packets with the VX-7R (they are
                      > displayed on a terminal program).
                      > Having said that, I never see the Rx LED on the Tracker2 light/blink.
                      > What function does this LED serve/indicate?
                      >
                      > Thanks again,
                      > Tom, W3TMC

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
                        Update - OK now - I have grown to expect the unexplainable from
                        computers but this is too strange ......

                        To answer Scott's questions:
                        All the LEDs come on at startup.
                        The ACT LED never blinked green.

                        Now - here are the facts (I promise this is the truth!)

                        I had been powering the Tracker2 on a wall wart that was supposed to
                        be 12VDC but was actually 16VDC. Just to see if it would really run
                        OK on lower voltage, I connected it to a 9v battery. It seemed to
                        work fine. I then noticed that the green Rx LED was coming on.
                        Sometimes I would see a packet decoded without it blinking but most
                        of the time there is a blink and then text on the screen. And BTW
                        the activity light blinks too – I ~think~ it is blinking in response
                        to GPS data.

                        Having the idea that I was onto something of a voltage issue, I went
                        back to the wall wart. Surprise - everything still works fine!

                        Fun stuff!

                        73,
                        Tom, W3TMC

                        PS – The Rx equalization didn't make any difference with the little
                        HTX-200.