Jackscrew tool

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
      This is a little bit off-topic, but it does actually relate to the Tracker2.

      Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
      removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
      driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
      clearance on the male connectors.

      A bit for an adjustable torque power screwdriver would be best, but I'll
      take what I can get.

      I used to work with a guy who had a tiny little 3/16" wrench on his
      keychain - I think he said it was an Apple part, but I'm not sure. If I
      can find a cheap source of those I'll buy a bunch and put them on the
      website.

      Scott
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
        Scott N1VG wrote...

        > Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
        > removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
        > driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
        > clearance on the male connectors.

        Have you tried an RC model shop? They may not have bits to fit a power tool,
        but might have wrenches.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
          grind on the outer circumference of the nut driver?

          Wes

          This is a little bit off-topic, but it does actually relate to the Tracker2.

          Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
          removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
          driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
          clearance on the male connectors.

          A bit for an adjustable torque power screwdriver would be best, but I'll
          take what I can get.

          I used to work with a guy who had a tiny little 3/16" wrench on his
          keychain - I think he said it was an Apple part, but I'm not sure. If I
          can find a cheap source of those I'll buy a bunch and put them on the
          website.

          In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
            Yeah, I tried that. I need a better grinding wheel. Or lower-quality
            nut drivers. I ground on it with my Dremel until the whole thing was
            too hot to hold, and I don't think I made any measurable difference in
            the thickness.

            I really should have sourced some connectors without jackscrews. At
            least that way I'd only have to put them on and not take them off first.
            Only I haven't found a source of connectors + jackscrews that's as
            cheap as the kind that come with them. I'm guessing that's because with
            this type, the jackscrew holds the connector together - take it off and
            the metal shield falls off, which makes it even more of a pain to assemble.

            Oh well. The advantage of having done assembly of every part of the
            product by myself at some point is that I'm very aware of all of the
            quirks and difficulties. By the time I hand off the final assembly and
            test tasks to someone else, the process should be refined to the point
            where it takes a lot less effort and there's less potential for errors.

            Scott

            Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:

            > grind on the outer circumference of the nut driver?
            >
            > Wes
            >

            > On 10/30/07, *Scott Miller* <scott@...
            > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
            >
            > This is a little bit off-topic, but it does actually relate to the
            > Tracker2.
            >
            > Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
            > removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
            > driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
            > clearance on the male connectors.
            >
            > A bit for an adjustable torque power screwdriver would be best, but
            > I'll
            > take what I can get.
            >
            > I used to work with a guy who had a tiny little 3/16" wrench on his
            > keychain - I think he said it was an Apple part, but I'm not sure. If I
            > can find a cheap source of those I'll buy a bunch and put them on the
            > website.

            > In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.

          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
              A metal lathe would make quick work of it.... Assuming that the casting of the driver
              is of decent quality...

              Patrick

              On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:35:15 -0700, Scott Miller wrote
              > Yeah, I tried that. I need a better grinding wheel. Or lower-quality
              > nut drivers. I ground on it with my Dremel until the whole thing was
              > too hot to hold, and I don't think I made any measurable difference in
              > the thickness.
              >
              > I really should have sourced some connectors without jackscrews. At
              > least that way I'd only have to put them on and not take them off first.
              > Only I haven't found a source of connectors + jackscrews that's as
              > cheap as the kind that come with them. I'm guessing that's because with
              > this type, the jackscrew holds the connector together - take it off and
              > the metal shield falls off, which makes it even more of a pain to assemble.
              >
              > Oh well. The advantage of having done assembly of every part of the
              > product by myself at some point is that I'm very aware of all of the
              > quirks and difficulties. By the time I hand off the final assembly and
              > test tasks to someone else, the process should be refined to the point
              > where it takes a lot less effort and there's less potential for errors.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
              > >

              > > grind on the outer circumference of the nut driver?
              > >
              > > Wes
              > >

              > > On 10/30/07, *Scott Miller* <scott@...
              > > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
              > >
              > > This is a little bit off-topic, but it does actually relate to the
              > > Tracker2.
              > >
              > > Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
              > > removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
              > > driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
              > > clearance on the male connectors.
              > >
              > > A bit for an adjustable torque power screwdriver would be best, but
              > > I'll
              > > take what I can get.
              > >
              > > I used to work with a guy who had a tiny little 3/16" wrench on his
              > > keychain - I think he said it was an Apple part, but I'm not sure. If I
              > > can find a cheap source of those I'll buy a bunch and put them on the
              > > website.
              > >
              > > Scott
              > >

              > > --
              > > In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.

            • Fred Hillhouse
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                Hi Scott,

                I use a nut driver from Xcelite, part number P6. The outer diameter is 0.315". It isn't a perfect size but it is close. It works very nice on the female connectors but it is tight on the male.

                Hope that helps,
                Fred

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                  Don't give me an excuse to buy more expensive toys! =]

                  I think I just bought every right-angle DB9 to be found in this town -
                  which wasn't very many. I ran out of them for OT1+ kits and I'm
                  drowning in orders. Jameco's out and I ordered from two other suppliers
                  but I don't know when they'll get here. Argh...

                  I did find enough separate jackscrews that I can start using the
                  filtered DB9s to make up kits. A few lucky customers are going to get
                  extra RFI resistant kits.

                  Time to go order more OT1+ PCBs before I get short on those, too.

                  Scott

                  Patrick wrote:

                  > A metal lathe would make quick work of it.... Assuming that the casting
                  > of the driver
                  > is of decent quality...
                  >
                  > Patrick
                  >
                  > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:35:15 -0700, Scott Miller wrote
                  > > Yeah, I tried that. I need a better grinding wheel. Or lower-quality
                  > > nut drivers. I ground on it with my Dremel until the whole thing was
                  > > too hot to hold, and I don't think I made any measurable difference in
                  > > the thickness.
                  > >
                  > > I really should have sourced some connectors without jackscrews. At
                  > > least that way I'd only have to put them on and not take them off first.
                  > > Only I haven't found a source of connectors + jackscrews that's as
                  > > cheap as the kind that come with them. I'm guessing that's because with
                  > > this type, the jackscrew holds the connector together - take it off and
                  > > the metal shield falls off, which makes it even more of a pain to
                  > assemble.
                  > >
                  > > Oh well. The advantage of having done assembly of every part of the
                  > > product by myself at some point is that I'm very aware of all of the
                  > > quirks and difficulties. By the time I hand off the final assembly and
                  > > test tasks to someone else, the process should be refined to the point
                  > > where it takes a lot less effort and there's less potential for errors.
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >
                  > > Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > grind on the outer circumference of the nut driver?
                  > > >
                  > > > Wes
                  > > >

                  > > > On 10/30/07, *Scott Miller* <scott@...
                  > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>
                  > > > <mailto:scott@... <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>>> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > This is a little bit off-topic, but it does actually relate to the
                  > > > Tracker2.
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
                  > > > removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
                  > > > driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
                  > > > clearance on the male connectors.
                  > > >
                  > > > A bit for an adjustable torque power screwdriver would be best, but
                  > > > I'll
                  > > > take what I can get.
                  > > >
                  > > > I used to work with a guy who had a tiny little 3/16" wrench on his
                  > > > keychain - I think he said it was an Apple part, but I'm not sure. If I
                  > > > can find a cheap source of those I'll buy a bunch and put them on the
                  > > > website.
                  > > >
                  > > > Scott
                  > > >

                  > > > --
                  > > > In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.

                • Sjaak van Dam
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                    Hi Scott,

                    > Don't give me an excuse to buy more expensive toys! =]

                    You could buy a Victorinox Cybertool.
                    I have the Cybertool 41 and this has all i need to take any computer apart.

                    But if you have to do a large number of connectors this might not be
                    the way to go ;)
                    http://tinyurl.com/yvlxrp

                    Sjaak
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                      Yeah, I saw those in the Victorinox store in Kowloon. Lots of expensive
                      toys there to drool over, and the exchange rate only adds to the sticker
                      shock!

                      I'm still waiting for a Leatherman with a solder iron. =]

                      Ok, it's probably time to kill this thread. Thanks for the suggestions
                      - I've got a couple of ideas to look into now.

                      On a more relevant subject, if anyone has (hardware) feature requests
                      for an embeddable T2 board, let me know. I'm starting work on one this
                      week. It'll most likely be in a DIP sort of form factor, but wider than
                      the standard 0.6". I'm going to try to make both RS-232 and TTL serial
                      ports available, for starters.

                      Scott

                      Sjaak van Dam wrote:

                      > Hi Scott,
                      >
                      > On 10/30/07, Scott Miller <scott@...
                      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                      > > Don't give me an excuse to buy more expensive toys! =]
                      >
                      > You could buy a Victorinox Cybertool.
                      > I have the Cybertool 41 and this has all i need to take any computer apart.
                      >
                      > But if you have to do a large number of connectors this might not be
                      > the way to go ;)
                      > http://tinyurl.com/yvlxrp <http://tinyurl.com/yvlxrp>
                      >
                      > Sjaak

                    • James Jefferson Jarvis
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                        Scott,

                        If you would like I'll buy a nut driver and turn it down on my lathe.
                        Otherwise you can buy a 6" bench grinder from Harbor Freight for about $20.
                        Or a name brand grinder for < $80. Dunk the work piece in water to keep it
                        cool.

                        Xcelite probably has something. Give Techni-tool.com (1-800-832-4866) a call.
                        I checked and they don't appear to have 3/16" nut drivers that will fit in a
                        cordless screwdriver.

                        You should consider getting a Panasonic adjustable torque cordless
                        screwdriver. I bought 10 of these things at an auction and they are
                        fantastic. On each of our benches we have a couple. The torque is adjustable
                        down to the levels you need for small electronics. The price is about $180
                        new.

                        -Jim KB0THN

                        On Tuesday 30 October 2007 13:16, Scott Miller wrote:
                        > This is a little bit off-topic, but it does actually relate to the
                        > Tracker2.
                        >
                        > Does anyone know where I can find a good tool for installing and
                        > removing the 3/16" hex jackscrews on the d-sub connectors? A 3/16" nut
                        > driver works, but it's hard to find one that fits well in the narrow
                        > clearance on the male connectors.
                        >
                        > A bit for an adjustable torque power screwdriver would be best, but I'll
                        > take what I can get.
                        >
                        > I used to work with a guy who had a tiny little 3/16" wrench on his
                        > keychain - I think he said it was an Apple part, but I'm not sure. If I
                        > can find a cheap source of those I'll buy a bunch and put them on the
                        > website.

                      • Patrick
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
                          What TTL levels would it support? The ability to use 3.3v TTL directly without having
                          to run it through a converter would be enough that I'd definitely buy a couple. Most of
                          the OEM GPS modules I've been playing with work there.

                          Patrick

                          On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:13:18 -0700, Scott Miller wrote

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
                            Not sure about 3.3 volt support yet. It'll probably accept 3.3 volt
                            inputs, but I haven't tested it. I suppose I could just throw another
                            2N7002 in there as a cheap level shifter.

                            The simplex repeater I'm designing uses a 3-volt, 20 MHz HCS08 chip, and
                            for that project I'll be porting some of the AFSK code, so at some point
                            I may use that as a starting point for a new version. The 64-pin chip
                            has plenty of I/Os, but no more memory than the current chip.

                            And once I've got some confidence in the 3-volt version of the radio
                            interface circuitry it'll be easier to move to an ARM7 chip, and finally
                            have some code space to spare again. At least, for the first six months
                            of coding. =]

                            Scott

                            Patrick wrote:

                            > What TTL levels would it support? The ability to use 3.3v TTL directly
                            > without having
                            > to run it through a converter would be enough that I'd definitely buy a
                            > couple. Most of
                            > the OEM GPS modules I've been playing with work there.
                            >
                            > Patrick
                            >
                            > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:13:18 -0700, Scott Miller wrote
                            > > Yeah, I saw those in the Victorinox store in Kowloon. Lots of expensive
                            > > toys there to drool over, and the exchange rate only adds to the sticker
                            > > shock!
                            > >
                            > > I'm still waiting for a Leatherman with a solder iron. =]
                            > >
                            > > Ok, it's probably time to kill this thread. Thanks for the suggestions
                            > > - I've got a couple of ideas to look into now.
                            > >
                            > > On a more relevant subject, if anyone has (hardware) feature requests
                            > > for an embeddable T2 board, let me know. I'm starting work on one this
                            > > week. It'll most likely be in a DIP sort of form factor, but wider than
                            > > the standard 0.6". I'm going to try to make both RS-232 and TTL serial
                            > > ports available, for starters.
                            > >
                            > > Scott

                          • Steve Bragg
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
                              N1VG wrote:

                              > On a more relevant subject, if anyone has (hardware) feature requests
                              > for an embeddable T2 board, let me know. I'm starting work on one this
                              > week. It'll most likely be in a DIP sort of form factor, but wider than
                              > the standard 0.6". I'm going to try to make both RS-232 and TTL serial
                              > ports available, for starters.

                              As you know, Scott, the HamHUD group has been interested in this for a little while now. My request would be to leave the RS232 transceiver off, but I can see where some people would want it. I would also ask that the active filter be present in front of the XR2211.

                              I was interested in an I2C control port, but TTL async serial is just fine.

                              73,

                              Steve Bragg KA9MVA
                              www.hamhud.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
                                It'll have SPI available, at least.

                                Scott

                                Steve Bragg wrote:

                                > N1VG wrote:
                                >
                                > > On a more relevant subject, if anyone has (hardware) feature requests
                                > > for an embeddable T2 board, let me know. I'm starting work on one this
                                > > week. It'll most likely be in a DIP sort of form factor, but wider than
                                > > the standard 0.6". I'm going to try to make both RS-232 and TTL serial
                                > > ports available, for starters.
                                >
                                > As you know, Scott, the HamHUD group has been interested in this for a
                                > little while now. My request would be to leave the RS232 transceiver
                                > off, but I can see where some people would want it. I would also ask
                                > that the active filter be present in front of the XR2211.
                                >
                                > I was interested in an I2C control port, but TTL async serial is just fine.
                                >
                                > 73,
                                >
                                > Steve Bragg KA9MVA
                                > www.hamhud.net

                              • Jason Rausch
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
                                  --- Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                                  > > > week. It'll most likely be in a DIP sort of
                                  > form factor, but wider than
                                  > > > the standard 0.6". I'm going to try to make
                                  > both RS-232 and TTL serial
                                  > > > ports available, for starters.

                                  This is exactly what I was talking about when we
                                  talked it over at DCC. I see it as a T2 veriant of
                                  the current SMT OT1+.

                                  Jason KE4NYV
                                  RPC Electronics
                                  www.rpc-electronics.com