OT2 and UI-View questions

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 25, 2007
      At 04:00 PM 10/24/2007, Mykle Raymond wrote:

      >The position data may not need to be stored at all, if the TNC can
      >pass data from the GPS port to the serial port. You might specify
      >particular NMEA sentence(s) to be passed without change.

      Guys, I'm no expert. I certainly don't know the OT2 as well as Scott
      and I certainly don't know UI-View as well as others on this list,
      but something happened to my set-up yesterday that got me thinking.

      Take a look in your favorite APRS-IS client at W9RXR-9 for yesterday.
      See the gap between 20:12:46z and 20:58:05z? Now look at W9RXR-10.
      The gap is filled from 20:13:06z to 20:54:51z.

      Here's my set up: I have an OT2-135 configured as W9RXR-9 and it's
      set for SmartBeaconing. There's a Deluo GPS receiver plugged into
      Port B. I have had good luck configuring Port A as KISS and then
      connecting UI-View to it in KISS mode so I can see what's going on
      around me. UI-View is configured as W9RXR-10 and I generally don't
      beacon with this callsign.

      Prior to 20:12:46z yesterday, I had been running the OT2 as a
      standalone tracker. Sometime between 20:12:46z and 20:13:06z, I
      started up UI-View. A little later, I noticed that W9RXR-10 was being
      digi-ed. That stumped me for a while. Then I realized I was seeing a
      GPS cross-hairs on the UI-View screen. Once I realized that something
      was seriously amiss, I shutdown UI-View, fired up OTWincfg, and saw
      that my callsign was W9RXR-10 and Port A was set for Auto.

      My conclusion was that the OT2 and UI-View had been operating
      together in terminal mode, not KISS. On start-up, UI-View had put the
      OT2 into terminal mode, set MYCALL to W9RXR-10, and left
      SmartBeaconing activated. Additionally, NMEA strings were being sent
      by the OT2 to the terminal, which I think the OT2 does by default.
      I'm not sure what I had done in UI-View so it could get those
      strings; probably something in the GPS configuration that I did
      inadvertently. I have no idea now what TNC config file UI-View was
      using. But I'm sure all of this can be duplicated.

      So, my question is, why not run the OT2 and UI-View in terminal mode?
      It seems to achieve the NMEA pass-through feature that some of us are
      looking for. For light duty APRS work, what's the advantage to using KISS?

      Bob...
    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 25, 2007