Re: [tracker2] Re: Arggh, different TNCs on the Alinco DR-635T and DR-620Ts

    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 25 9:54 AM
      Thanks. Hmm, I don't see schematics of the TNC like the other service
      manuals have... I'll keep looking.

      Scott

      Ruth Leeds wrote:
      > http://www.kb7tbt.com/manuals/
      > has Instruction and Service manuals available Scott.
      >
      > Stan/KC7EHJ

    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 25 10:32 AM
        At 04:00 PM 10/24/2007, Mykle Raymond wrote:

        >The position data may not need to be stored at all, if the TNC can
        >pass data from the GPS port to the serial port. You might specify
        >particular NMEA sentence(s) to be passed without change.

        Guys, I'm no expert. I certainly don't know the OT2 as well as Scott
        and I certainly don't know UI-View as well as others on this list,
        but something happened to my set-up yesterday that got me thinking.

        Take a look in your favorite APRS-IS client at W9RXR-9 for yesterday.
        See the gap between 20:12:46z and 20:58:05z? Now look at W9RXR-10.
        The gap is filled from 20:13:06z to 20:54:51z.

        Here's my set up: I have an OT2-135 configured as W9RXR-9 and it's
        set for SmartBeaconing. There's a Deluo GPS receiver plugged into
        Port B. I have had good luck configuring Port A as KISS and then
        connecting UI-View to it in KISS mode so I can see what's going on
        around me. UI-View is configured as W9RXR-10 and I generally don't
        beacon with this callsign.

        Prior to 20:12:46z yesterday, I had been running the OT2 as a
        standalone tracker. Sometime between 20:12:46z and 20:13:06z, I
        started up UI-View. A little later, I noticed that W9RXR-10 was being
        digi-ed. That stumped me for a while. Then I realized I was seeing a
        GPS cross-hairs on the UI-View screen. Once I realized that something
        was seriously amiss, I shutdown UI-View, fired up OTWincfg, and saw
        that my callsign was W9RXR-10 and Port A was set for Auto.

        My conclusion was that the OT2 and UI-View had been operating
        together in terminal mode, not KISS. On start-up, UI-View had put the
        OT2 into terminal mode, set MYCALL to W9RXR-10, and left
        SmartBeaconing activated. Additionally, NMEA strings were being sent
        by the OT2 to the terminal, which I think the OT2 does by default.
        I'm not sure what I had done in UI-View so it could get those
        strings; probably something in the GPS configuration that I did
        inadvertently. I have no idea now what TNC config file UI-View was
        using. But I'm sure all of this can be duplicated.

        So, my question is, why not run the OT2 and UI-View in terminal mode?
        It seems to achieve the NMEA pass-through feature that some of us are
        looking for. For light duty APRS work, what's the advantage to using KISS?

        Bob...