Feature Request

  • J. Rausch
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10, 2006
      Scott, somthing that I miss in the OT family that I could get in the
      TinyTrak family is the calibrate feature. The ability to send 1200,
      2200 or both alternating on command for any length of time is GREAT
      for setting levels. Would there be much involved in adding this both
      as a directly controlled item through the config program as well as a
      locally serial controlled command ie. via a terminal?

      Somthing like:

      SET CAL1200 ON (send 1200 Hz tone)
      SET CAL2200 ON (send 2200 Hz tone)
      SET CALALT ON (send 1220 and 2200 alternating)
      SET CAL OFF (shut off any cal function)

      Jason KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics
      www.rpc-electronics.com
    • Wes Johnston
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10, 2006
        Hey!!! can I do those commands via APRS message? _that_ would be cool... send alternating 1200/2200hz tone on air for until the next command comes in.... NOT.

        Wes

          I'm going to be working on the serial console this week - calibration
          functions will be part of that.

          Scott

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10, 2006
            Yeah, I'm going to have a add a 'local only' flag to the command
            definitions! =]

            Scott

          • Jason Winningham
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 10, 2006
              On Apr 10, 2006, at 8:50 PM, <scott@...>
              <scott@...> wrote:

              > Yeah, I'm going to have a add a 'local only' flag to the command
              > definitions! =]

              or a timeout or time parameter...

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
            • J. Rausch
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 10, 2006
                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Wes Johnston <wes@...> wrote:

                > Hey!!! can I do those commands via APRS message? _that_ would be
                cool... send alternating 1200/2200hz tone on air for until the next
                command comes in.... NOT.

                I THOUGHT I had made it clear that the cal function would only be a
                local serial config function ie. cabled to the OT2 controlling through
                the config program or terminal commands.

                Clear as molasses ;o)

                Jason KE4NYV
                RPC Electronics
                www.rpc-electronics.com
              • Tyson S.
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 10, 2006
                  Yeah, if local, no time limit, if via APRS message then time limit of
                  X# of seconds (10 or so) then you could check the signal deviation from
                  10 miles away. Or digipeat the message to the unit and once it is keyed
                  it's transmitter with an alternating tone you then listen on a regular
                  radio to see how well it is making it into your spot for a coverage
                  check.

                  --- Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

                  > On Apr 10, 2006, at 8:50 PM, <scott@...>
                  > <scott@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Yeah, I'm going to have a add a 'local only' flag to the command
                  > > definitions! =]
                  >
                  > or a timeout or time parameter...
                  >
                  > -Jason
                  > kg4wsv

                  Check out my APRS digipeater:
                  http://map.findu.com/FIELDR

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Jon
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2 7:22 AM
                    Hi Scott,

                    What would be the possibility of adding code/config
                    space for a limited number of objects in the tracker2?

                    See
                    http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

                    for what I'm talking about. I'm already generating
                    them, just not as efficiently.

                    Regards
                    de John
                    EI7IG

                    now.
                    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
                  • Bob Burns W9RXR
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 2 3:36 PM
                      While we are talking about potential new features...

                      Scott, you and I talked at Dayton about a possible firmware change so
                      that the T2-135 will pass GPS position data that comes in on the
                      front-panel data jack to the rear-panel DB9. Any progress on that?

                      Bob...
                    • 'Scott Miller'
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 2 4:30 PM
                        I was just looking at that today, actually.  Maybe a PASSTHRU command?  Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use that port switching scheme?

                        Passing data through is easy.  The only hard part is making sure it doesn't interfere with other (console, waypoint, monitor) output.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 2 6:19 PM
                          Looks like there's a decent amount of space left in that part of memory.  There are some constraints on it because it can only be erased a page at a time.  I don't like just extending the static configuration, though - it's not a terribly efficient way to use the space.

                          For stuff like this where it's a variable number of items, with variable length, it'd make more sense to add some sort of tagged list of data items.  I'd been saving that memory space for scripting code, but maybe it could do both.  The down side is that a list has to be searched through every time you want to find something, but in the case of items like this it'd probably be ok.

                          It's something to consider, anyway.  I'll see what I can come up with.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 3 2:21 AM
                            --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                            > Looks like there's a decent amount of space left in
                            > that part of memory.
                            > There are some constraints on it because it can only
                            > be erased a page at a
                            > time. I don't like just extending the static
                            > configuration, though - it's
                            > not a terribly efficient way to use the space.
                            >
                            > For stuff like this where it's a variable number of
                            > items, with variable
                            > length, it'd make more sense to add some sort of
                            > tagged list of data items.
                            > I'd been saving that memory space for scripting
                            > code, but maybe it could do
                            > both. The down side is that a list has to be
                            > searched through every time
                            > you want to find something, but in the case of items
                            > like this it'd probably
                            > be ok.
                            >
                            > It's something to consider, anyway. I'll see what I
                            > can come up with.

                            Hi,

                            I'm not sure about the 'big picture', but in general,
                            the most one could have would be one to about 5
                            objects/repeaters that could be co-located on a single
                            site.

                            Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
                            GAREC conference or the hamfest? I'd be interested in
                            meeting up for an eyeball, and buy eveyone who's
                            helped me out a beer (real.. not virtual!).

                            Regards
                            de John
                            EI7IG

                            now.
                            http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
                          • Bob Burns W9RXR
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 4 2:17 PM
                              At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                              >I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?

                              Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
                              the new feature complete. <grin>

                              Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
                              from OTWinCfg?

                              > Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
                              > that port switching scheme?

                              I think I'd like for everything from the GPS to pass through, though
                              I can see that that might bog down the processor in the T2. What I'd
                              like to be able to do is connect the GPS to the data port on the
                              radio and then connect the computer to the DB-9 so that a mapping
                              program on the computer can access the GPS data.

                              Now, we could this a step further. The APRSPoint program has many
                              limitations as an APRS client, but it does have one feature I really
                              like. With a Kenwood TM-D700, I can connect a GPS to the GPS port on
                              the radio and connect a computer to the DB-9 port. I can then fire up
                              APRSPoint and tell it that it's connected to a D700 in TNC mode (not
                              APRS mode) and that it's getting GPS data from the radio/TNC.
                              APRSPoint then continuously updates my position on the map based on
                              data from the GPS, continuously displays APRS posits, status, and
                              weather from beacons that the radio/TNC are decoding, and beacons my
                              position and/or status at a fixed rate. Obviously, I'd like for the
                              T2 to handle beaconing my position because it has the smarts to do
                              so. But I can easily tell APRSPoint to not beacon at all.

                              I guess what now realize I'm saying is that APRSPoint connected to a
                              T2 in CONVERSE mode may do what I want already. Sounds like I need to
                              give that a try. Except for one catch...When I first got my T2, I
                              thought it was passing GPS data through to the DB-9 while in CONVERSE
                              mode. It's not doing that now. Is there some command I executed that
                              I've now forgotten or did a firmware upgrade kill that data?

                              Bob...
                            • Mike Fenske
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 4 8:55 PM
                                Not sure how much extra work it would be (or code space), but would it be possible to have the Tracker2 generate NMEA sentences if the GPS were in Garmin mode?
                                i.e. if the GPS were connected to port b in Garmin mode, NMEA sentences come out on port a.

                                The only sentence really needed would be $GPRMC.

                                Mike Fenske
                                VE7MKF

                                Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                                > At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                >> I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?
                                >
                                > Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
                                > the new feature complete. <grin>
                                >
                                > Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
                                > from OTWinCfg?
                                >
                                >> Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
                                >> that port switching scheme?
                              • Chris Kantarjiev
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 5 1:22 PM
                                  I've been asking Scott for this for a while now; I'm glad someone else
                                  is asking, too :-)

                                  I think that the nice way to do this is to increase the number
                                  of beacon text/path/timing possibilities to at least match what
                                  the KPC3+ can do. This is how those objects are being displayed
                                  in other digis.

                                  PASSTHRU for weather/status data on the KISS channel would
                                  be *awesome*. That would make pushing that data out via the
                                  attached IGATE very simple (in my setup).

                                  73 de chris K6DBG
                                • Jason Winningham
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 6 8:50 AM
                                    On Jul 3, 2007, at 4:21 AM, Jon wrote:

                                    > Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
                                    > GAREC conference or the hamfest?

                                    I'll be at the hamfest, not sure about others. Since I live here,
                                    it's not a lot of trouble for me to get to this one.

                                    Scott, will you have a table at the hamfest / expo? I have no idea
                                    if the ARRL is as big a deal as, say, Dayton.

                                    One of these days I may even join ARRL...

                                    -Jason
                                    kg4wsv
                                  • 'Scott Miller'
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 6 9:58 AM
                                      I *might* go to the SW division convention.  At least that one's pretty close to home.  But it's 1/2 the price of Dayton for about 1/8 the traffic, so I'm not sure about it being a particularly profitable venue.  I'll be at DCC in Hartford, but other than that I have no definite plans until Dayton next year.

                                      I'll be in Cincinnati next week - hopefully my last trip there for the summer, but who knows.

                                      Scott

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 7 12:02 AM
                                        I thought of that, and I think it might still be on my feature list somewhere.  I don't think it'd be *too* difficult, since it's already doing a bunch of math to get stuff into APRS format, which has always been tied closely to NMEA.  Man, I wish this thing had another 128k of flash.  =]

                                        Scott