[tracker2] OT2-135 as a standard data TNC?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
      Scott/Folks

      In a previous posting you stated the buffers were kind of small on the OT2-135 but it worked will as an IGate.   Have you or anyone tested it as a standard data TNC?  For example sending/receiving email to a Telpac node?

      Tony
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
        First, it'll only do that in KISS mode. I'm not sure about Telpac
        specifically, but there is a limitation on the transmit buffer that only
        lets it hold one outgoing packet at a time. Some modes might try to
        push more than that. I hope to improve the buffer management when I get
        a chance, but it's tricky to balance the TX and RX buffers when there's
        not much memory to spare.

        Scott

        Tony VE6MVP wrote:

        > Scott/Folks
        >
        > In a previous posting you stated the buffers were kind of small on the
        > OT2-135 but it worked will as an IGate. Have you or anyone tested it
        > as a standard data TNC? For example sending/receiving email to a Telpac
        > node?
        >
        > Tony

      • Clay Jackson

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2007
            At 05:06 PM 2007-10-07 -0700, you wrote:

            First, it'll only do that in KISS mode.

            Which is, I think, exactly what I'd want.

            I'm not sure about Telpac
            specifically, but there is a limitation on the transmit buffer that only
            lets it hold one outgoing packet at a time. Some modes might try to
            push more than that. I hope to improve the buffer management when I get
            a chance, but it's tricky to balance the TX and RX buffers when there's
            not much memory to spare.

            Now that I think about this for a bit that's not much of a limitation.   Many years ago I had a 486SX acting as a gateway between a 16 mpbs and a 4 mpbs Token Ring network.   Todays 1 Ghz systems, or better, should be able to quickly stuff another packet in the buffer so you'd hardly notice the difference at the blazing speed of 2400 bps.

            I'm thinking of those small 12 VDC systems which are about the size of a pocket book to be specific.  There's a wireless ISP in the same tower as I'm, long term, thinking of putting in a Telpac node.     And for other purposes having a radio with the TNC built-in is quite attractive as we can all appreciate.

            I'd want a few buffers on receive just in case of course.

            Tony

            Tony
          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2007
              At 09:44 PM 2007-10-11 -0700, you wrote:

              Hey, Tony - while I was playing with my OT2-135 on my bench (before it went into service as KD7ULI-9 in my daughter's truck) I connected it up to a LINUX TelPac node and it worked fine as a Telpac node and Digi for about 72 hours (a bunch of us here were testing to see how much traffic we could get on a given channel before things degraded - but that's a different thread).   As Scott says, that does require KISS, and I had some trouble getting the early build (forget which number, but it was several months ago) OUT of KISS mode; but other than that, it worked great.  I was able to send/receive email, complete with attachments.

              Awesome stuff.  Thanks.   I'm always happy to hear of competent real world testing.

              Tony
            • Tony VE6MVP
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2007
                At 11:16 PM 2007-10-11 -0600, you wrote:

                Now that I think about this for a bit that's not much of a limitation.   Many years ago I had a 486SX acting as a gateway between a 16 mpbs and a 4 mpbs Token Ring network.

                Actually that would've been an IBM PS/2 55SX which was a 386 SX CPU running at 16 Mhz.

                Tony
              • Jon
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 12, 2007
                  --- Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                  > At 09:44 PM 2007-10-11 -0700, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >Hey, Tony - while I was playing with my OT2-135 on
                  > my bench (before it
                  > >went into service as KD7ULI-9 in my daughter's
                  > truck) I connected it up to
                  > >a LINUX TelPac node and it worked fine as a Telpac
                  > node and Digi for about
                  > >72 hours (a bunch of us here were testing to see
                  > how much traffic we could
                  > >get on a given channel before things degraded - but
                  > that's a different
                  > >thread). As Scott says, that does require KISS,
                  > and I had some trouble
                  > >getting the early build (forget which number, but
                  > it was several months
                  > >ago) OUT of KISS mode; but other than that, it
                  > worked great. I was able
                  > >to send/receive email, complete with attachments.
                  >
                  > Awesome stuff. Thanks. I'm always happy to hear
                  > of competent real world
                  > testing.

                  I'll second that...... thanks for the info.

                  de John
                  EI7IG

                  now.
                  http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/