Re: [tracker2] OT2m temperature report way off...

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
      On 10/4/07, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

      > > I have no problem with smart beaconing if somehow it can be set
      > > to AVERAGE no more than about one packet per minute or less like
      > > everyone else...

      That just goes to show that he still hasn't even looked at the concept
      of SmartBeaconing. If he did, he would know that it can easily do just
      that.

      I can make the same uninformed statement about every other APRS
      application out there. The Kenwood units have the capability to set
      them up to beacon every 12 seconds. I don't know of any lower limits
      in any software APRS program. I can set UI-View up to beacon every
      second. I bet I can set APRSdos to beacon at less than a 1 minute
      interval.

      Because an implementation can be configured at a rate of less than one
      packet per minute does not mean that it will AVERAGE more than that. I
      can run SmartBeaconing configured to beacon once every 10 seconds,
      drive for 1 hour, and then park for 6 hours beaconing once per hour.
      Does this fulfill Bob's 1 minute average criteria?

      > Of course, we all know that SmartBeaconing does a lot more than allow you to
      > have it beacon every minute. It is precisely to prevent something like that
      > happening that SmartBeaconing exists.

      We do indeed, and I sure am glad that developers like Scott take the
      time to understand a concept to the point where they add it to their
      own hardware.

      > I also suggested that if Kenwood has designed the D710 to allow updates
      > (they released a couple of minor updates the other day) then they could also
      > do an update to add SmartBeaconing. I could have missed it, but I don't
      > think I have seen a reply on that yet.

      I'm working on that... the bug is in Kenwood's ear if I can believe
      the reports from DCC. If Bob is as happy with SmartBeaconing as he
      suggests in the messages you point out, then there should be little
      reason for not implementing the best network airtime conservation
      routine around.