Re: [tracker2] OT2m temperature report way off...

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
      No, shouldn't need adjusting. You can spray it with some component
      cooler spray to see if it's actually working right.

      It's possible that it's just reading low (if the offset hasn't been set
      properly) and that it's always rather warm due to lack of air
      circulation in the case. The OT2m case is really not an idea place for
      a sensor.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
        Just out of curiosity Mark, what are your SmartBeacon settings?

        You occasionally pump out 2 packets within 4 seconds of each other.

      • mark.rice@L-3com.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
          The OT2m is at home right now. (I rode the motorcycle to work...)

          I'd have to connect it up to the computer and see what the config file
          shows.

          The 2 packet transmit happens (I think) when I'm negotiating a turn.

          - Mark
          N4CMB-11 (OT2m)
          N4CMB-10 (TT3+ or OT1+)

          Just out of curiosity Mark, what are your SmartBeacon settings?

          You occasionally pump out 2 packets within 4 seconds of each other.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
            On 10/2/07, mark.rice@... <mark.rice@...> wrote:

            > The OT2m is at home right now. (I rode the motorcycle to work...)

            I can wait...

            > I'd have to connect it up to the computer and see what the config file
            > shows.

            Have you saved your config file? If so, you can pull that up and read
            the SmartBeacon parameters without having to pull the unit out of the
            truck, or take a laptop out to the truck.

            > The 2 packet transmit happens (I think) when I'm negotiating a turn.

            Yup, which is why I am interested in knowing what you have set for
            SmartBeacon parameters.

            Bob Bruninga is dead set against SmartBeaconing because he feels that
            SmartBeacon enabled trackers cause extra QRM. In fact the SmartBeacon
            routine was designed for the exact opposite reason. However it is
            possible to set up the parameters to cause too many packets to be
            sent, just as a timed unit can be set up to beacon far too often.

            My suspicion is that your minimum turn time is set far too low. This
            allows the unit to beacon a couple times as you turn a corner, which
            is not necessary. The CornerPegging routine is designed to catch the
            corners and report them, but it can attempt to send reports multiple
            times in sharp turns. The minimum turn time parameter is included to
            make sure that this doesn't happen.

            If you show us the parameters you have programmed, I can offer some
            suggestions on how you might optimize the settings to keep this from
            happening.

          • Steven Palm
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
              On Sep 25, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
              > FedEx says they'll be here on Thursday. Which figures... I leave for
              > DCC (3000 miles away) early Thursday morning.
              >
              > I have only a limited stock of enclosures at the moment, so they might
              > sell out again quickly. Ten-Tec is starting another batch and they
              > should be done by the end of next month.

              So, are these considered "production" now and out of beta? I'm
              confused because the product page says that regular production is
              scheduled to begin in August... No year, so I don't know if it's just
              not been updated or if plans for for next year. :)

              I've been waiting for this to go production for a while now and sort
              of stopped looking for a while, so I'm just back trying to figure out
              if they are "golden" or not.

              Thanks,

              Steve
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
                They're in production. I got the first 100 in, though I won't have
                enough enclosures for them all until the end of the month. The manual
                is still preliminary (with an update due to be posted tonight) and at
                the moment I'm designing the sticker that'll go on the bottom with the
                power specs, model number, and pinouts - but that's not exactly a
                critical component.

                Once all of that stuff is done, I'll work on getting the marketing
                information updated.

                Scott

              • mark.rice@L-3com.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Hey James, thanks for helping me with these settings. When I got home
                  last night a friend of mine wanted my help putting up a 2meter antenna
                  on his 60-foot tower. He wants to have an i-gate in an area that's been
                  a dead spot for aprs... East of Greenville, Tx. looking eastward on I-30
                  toward Texarkana. So I was busy helping him into the late hours.

                  Anyway, this morning I got the config info on my OT2m that is used in my
                  call, N4CMB-11:

                  At speeds between 0 and 40MPH
                  Use transmit rate from 300 to 120 Sec
                  Transmit when turning more than 24 degrees
                  But not more than once every 3 seconds

                  Granted, those setting need some refinement.

                  And that reminds me, I need to contact K5BNI-1 about his settings too.
                  (If you look at the aprs map, you'll see what I mean...)

                  - Mark
                  N4CMB-11

                  _______________

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                    On 10/3/07, mark.rice@... <mark.rice@...> wrote:

                    > At speeds between 0 and 40 MPH
                    > Use transmit rate from 300 to 120 Sec
                    > Transmit when turning more than 24 degrees
                    > But not more than once every 3 seconds

                    Okay, let's look at this to see what's happening.

                    First the speed section. Generally you will want to have your low
                    speed threshold set up a little above zero. Before SA was turned off,
                    it was necessary. We usually have the low end set around 5 mph.
                    Really, when you are moving that slow, you will be kicking out packets
                    due to turns more than distance.

                    Your high end speed is lower than usual, but it is valid. Normally
                    this is set at top highway speed, but there's no hard fast rule on
                    that. Any time you are traveling at or above the high speed setting,
                    you will be beaconing at the high speed rate.

                    Now, the rate settings... You are asking the unit to beacon every 5
                    minutes when it is sitting still. Do you need to tell everyone that
                    your vehicle is parked and doing nothing every 5 minutes? The general
                    recommendation is to set your low speed rate to 30 minutes. That's
                    1800 seconds. This keeps your position updated on most screens,
                    without causing excessive QRM on the channel. Your fast rate has you
                    reporting every 2 minutes when you are travelling 40 MPH or better.
                    This is a reasonable rate. The general baseline is 3 minutes, but 2 is
                    okay. It depends on the network load in your area. If there are a lot
                    of stations vying for airtime, you might want to slow the rate down to
                    make room for everyone. That's also why you would want to have a slow
                    rate when stopped, as it allows those who are actually doing something
                    active more room to play.

                    Your minimum turn angle is good. This value is the base for the
                    CornerPegging routine, when you are traveling slow, the turn angle
                    required to force a beacon is much larger, based on speed/slope (a
                    value Scott has hard coded in the OT line). This is designed so that
                    you don't beacon for minor course deviations at slow speeds (lane
                    changes) but will catch significant corners on the highway.

                    The real source of those rapid beacons is the very small minimum turn
                    time you have set. If you are travelling at 5 mph for example, and
                    turn a 90 degree corner, you will probably beacon 2 times. This is
                    because at that speed, you probably need something like 40 degrees to
                    make CornerPegging want to report your course change. In a 90 degree
                    corner, you'll find CornerPegging firing off two beacons. The minimum
                    turn time is designed to keep that from happening. If you set the
                    minimum turn time to 30 seconds, you will definitely be around that
                    corner (unless traffic is really bad). This also makes sure you don't
                    send a flurry of beacons when winding your way through a parking lot,
                    or getting dizzy in a traffic circle.

                    So, in summary, I would suggest setting your minimum speed a little
                    higher, your slow rate longer, and your minimum turn time longer.

                    You need to strike a compromise between reporting rates and sharing
                    the channel with others. SmartBeaconing was designed to do just that,
                    but you can also set it up to be a network hog. Setting a static
                    beacon rate in your D700 of 1 minute and leaving it on all day does
                    the same, but Bob doesn't see it that way. At least the D710 drops
                    from it's 1 minute rate using a decay algorithm now, back down to 32
                    minutes when stationary.

                    Hope that helps, and makes sense to you.

                  • mark.rice@L-3com.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Thanks James. I'd like to implement some of your comments.

                      Our town of 25,000 people has very little aprs activity, but Dallas
                      isn't far away (45 miles) so I need to be careful with the settings as
                      it can impact metro rf (which is why I don't use Wide3 out here).

                      The slow speed I can change to 5 or even 10mph. If I'm at 10 or below,
                      I'm either coming to a traffic stop or in a parking lot. If it's the
                      latter, I don't leave my aprs on. If it's the former, my speed will
                      resume in less than 2 minutes. The speed of 40mph was selected because
                      of the mostly small-town driving that I do, but I might increase that.

                      Regarding the time setting, I will bump that up a bit as well. It can't
                      hurt and it very like will help with rf sharing.

                      Thanks again, James. I'm grateful for your assistance.

                      - Mark
                      N4CMB-11

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                        On 10/3/07, mark.rice@... <mark.rice@...> wrote:

                        > Our town of 25,000 people has very little aprs activity, but Dallas
                        > isn't far away (45 miles) so I need to be careful with the settings as
                        > it can impact metro rf (which is why I don't use Wide3 out here).

                        The impact your small town activity has on Dallas is minimal, but the
                        impact Dallas can have on your small town by using long paths can be
                        very harmful.

                        > The slow speed I can change to 5 or even 10mph. If I'm at 10 or below,
                        > I'm either coming to a traffic stop or in a parking lot. If it's the
                        > latter, I don't leave my aprs on. If it's the former, my speed will
                        > resume in less than 2 minutes. The speed of 40mph was selected because
                        > of the mostly small-town driving that I do, but I might increase that.

                        Yup, your reasoning makes sense. The idea of having a slow rate at low
                        speeds is so that people can leave their trackers on, and not cause
                        problems doing so. Some people leave them on 24/7, and when they are
                        beaconing every 3 minutes, it wastes a lot of network airtime with
                        static information.

                        > Regarding the time setting, I will bump that up a bit as well. It can't
                        > hurt and it very like will help with rf sharing.

                        Increase that min turn time, and you'll be a very polite APRS users.
                        Now, K5BNI-1 on the other hand is a little crazy. He's sending beacons
                        every 10 seconds. I don't think it's SmartBeaconing, but rather just a
                        static time setting. If you know him well, you have a good chance of
                        showing him the reasoning behind using SmartBeaconing. If you don't
                        know him, you really have to watch how you approach him to ask for a
                        change in settings. I've had people give me explicit instructions on
                        where to go, and how to get there when trying to make contact about
                        changing parameters.

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                          I went through a similar thought process.

                          In my case, I am trying to prototype how we would track several red cross feeding vehicles in a county the size of several small states.

                          I came up with the idea that I'm not really trying to figure out their route, I'm more concerned about where they are within a few miles. That meant that packets can be sent less often, and only when the position has changed more than a few miles (which works out to about 20 minutes or so.)

                          In any case, I can poll the tracker to find out where it is at any one time now :)

                          -Dan N7NMD

                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                            James VE6SRV wrote...

                            > Bob Bruninga is dead set against SmartBeaconing because he feels that
                            > SmartBeacon enabled trackers cause extra QRM.

                            You must be mistaken there - hi! He just said over on the APRS SIG...

                            > I have no problem with smart beaconing if somehow it can be set
                            > to AVERAGE no more than about one packet per minute or less like
                            > everyone else...

                            Of course, we all know that SmartBeaconing does a lot more than allow you to
                            have it beacon every minute. It is precisely to prevent something like that
                            happening that SmartBeaconing exists.

                            Also, see a message from Steve KA9MVA from nearly a year ago...
                            www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-November/016924.html
                            and a reply from Bob WB4APR...
                            www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-November/016925.html
                            where he said "I agree completely with all you said."

                            I also suggested that if Kenwood has designed the D710 to allow updates
                            (they released a couple of minor updates the other day) then they could also
                            do an update to add SmartBeaconing. I could have missed it, but I don't
                            think I have seen a reply on that yet.

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                              On 10/4/07, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                              > > I have no problem with smart beaconing if somehow it can be set
                              > > to AVERAGE no more than about one packet per minute or less like
                              > > everyone else...

                              That just goes to show that he still hasn't even looked at the concept
                              of SmartBeaconing. If he did, he would know that it can easily do just
                              that.

                              I can make the same uninformed statement about every other APRS
                              application out there. The Kenwood units have the capability to set
                              them up to beacon every 12 seconds. I don't know of any lower limits
                              in any software APRS program. I can set UI-View up to beacon every
                              second. I bet I can set APRSdos to beacon at less than a 1 minute
                              interval.

                              Because an implementation can be configured at a rate of less than one
                              packet per minute does not mean that it will AVERAGE more than that. I
                              can run SmartBeaconing configured to beacon once every 10 seconds,
                              drive for 1 hour, and then park for 6 hours beaconing once per hour.
                              Does this fulfill Bob's 1 minute average criteria?

                              > Of course, we all know that SmartBeaconing does a lot more than allow you to
                              > have it beacon every minute. It is precisely to prevent something like that
                              > happening that SmartBeaconing exists.

                              We do indeed, and I sure am glad that developers like Scott take the
                              time to understand a concept to the point where they add it to their
                              own hardware.

                              > I also suggested that if Kenwood has designed the D710 to allow updates
                              > (they released a couple of minor updates the other day) then they could also
                              > do an update to add SmartBeaconing. I could have missed it, but I don't
                              > think I have seen a reply on that yet.

                              I'm working on that... the bug is in Kenwood's ear if I can believe
                              the reports from DCC. If Bob is as happy with SmartBeaconing as he
                              suggests in the messages you point out, then there should be little
                              reason for not implementing the best network airtime conservation
                              routine around.