Re: [tracker2] OT2m temperature report way off...

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
      The only adjustment is a single-point offset. The response is pretty
      linear, and I've tested it down to -100 F and up to at least 120 F.

      Where is it actually located? Is the sensor still on the board, or do
      you have it remoted?

      Scott

    • mark.rice@L-3com.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
        The OT2m is un-modified... I have the unit in my truck (under the
        seat). It's not something I'll reference as an accurate source for air
        temp, but the temp readings are way off. I just wondered if there was a
        coefficient change that it needed somehow.

        - Mark
        N4CMB-11

        mark.rice@... wrote:

        > With temperatures in the local area (Texas) varying from 70 degrees to
        > 90+ (F), the OT2m seems to report only a narrow and incorrect range...
        > >From 16C to a maximum of 19C (60.8 - 66.2 F). It reports the 16 when

        > it's cooler (70's F) and reports 19 when it's hot (90+ F).
        >
        > Is there an adjustment or bias that I need to enter in the
        > configuration?
        >
        > - Mark
        > N4CMB-11

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
          No, shouldn't need adjusting. You can spray it with some component
          cooler spray to see if it's actually working right.

          It's possible that it's just reading low (if the offset hasn't been set
          properly) and that it's always rather warm due to lack of air
          circulation in the case. The OT2m case is really not an idea place for
          a sensor.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
            Just out of curiosity Mark, what are your SmartBeacon settings?

            You occasionally pump out 2 packets within 4 seconds of each other.

          • mark.rice@L-3com.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
              The OT2m is at home right now. (I rode the motorcycle to work...)

              I'd have to connect it up to the computer and see what the config file
              shows.

              The 2 packet transmit happens (I think) when I'm negotiating a turn.

              - Mark
              N4CMB-11 (OT2m)
              N4CMB-10 (TT3+ or OT1+)

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
                On 10/2/07, mark.rice@... <mark.rice@...> wrote:

                > The OT2m is at home right now. (I rode the motorcycle to work...)

                I can wait...

                > I'd have to connect it up to the computer and see what the config file
                > shows.

                Have you saved your config file? If so, you can pull that up and read
                the SmartBeacon parameters without having to pull the unit out of the
                truck, or take a laptop out to the truck.

                > The 2 packet transmit happens (I think) when I'm negotiating a turn.

                Yup, which is why I am interested in knowing what you have set for
                SmartBeacon parameters.

                Bob Bruninga is dead set against SmartBeaconing because he feels that
                SmartBeacon enabled trackers cause extra QRM. In fact the SmartBeacon
                routine was designed for the exact opposite reason. However it is
                possible to set up the parameters to cause too many packets to be
                sent, just as a timed unit can be set up to beacon far too often.

                My suspicion is that your minimum turn time is set far too low. This
                allows the unit to beacon a couple times as you turn a corner, which
                is not necessary. The CornerPegging routine is designed to catch the
                corners and report them, but it can attempt to send reports multiple
                times in sharp turns. The minimum turn time parameter is included to
                make sure that this doesn't happen.

                If you show us the parameters you have programmed, I can offer some
                suggestions on how you might optimize the settings to keep this from
                happening.

              • Steven Palm
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
                  On Sep 25, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                  > FedEx says they'll be here on Thursday. Which figures... I leave for
                  > DCC (3000 miles away) early Thursday morning.
                  >
                  > I have only a limited stock of enclosures at the moment, so they might
                  > sell out again quickly. Ten-Tec is starting another batch and they
                  > should be done by the end of next month.

                  So, are these considered "production" now and out of beta? I'm
                  confused because the product page says that regular production is
                  scheduled to begin in August... No year, so I don't know if it's just
                  not been updated or if plans for for next year. :)

                  I've been waiting for this to go production for a while now and sort
                  of stopped looking for a while, so I'm just back trying to figure out
                  if they are "golden" or not.

                  Thanks,

                  Steve
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 2, 2007
                    They're in production. I got the first 100 in, though I won't have
                    enough enclosures for them all until the end of the month. The manual
                    is still preliminary (with an update due to be posted tonight) and at
                    the moment I'm designing the sticker that'll go on the bottom with the
                    power specs, model number, and pinouts - but that's not exactly a
                    critical component.

                    Once all of that stuff is done, I'll work on getting the marketing
                    information updated.

                    Scott

                  • mark.rice@L-3com.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Hey James, thanks for helping me with these settings. When I got home
                      last night a friend of mine wanted my help putting up a 2meter antenna
                      on his 60-foot tower. He wants to have an i-gate in an area that's been
                      a dead spot for aprs... East of Greenville, Tx. looking eastward on I-30
                      toward Texarkana. So I was busy helping him into the late hours.

                      Anyway, this morning I got the config info on my OT2m that is used in my
                      call, N4CMB-11:

                      At speeds between 0 and 40MPH
                      Use transmit rate from 300 to 120 Sec
                      Transmit when turning more than 24 degrees
                      But not more than once every 3 seconds

                      Granted, those setting need some refinement.

                      And that reminds me, I need to contact K5BNI-1 about his settings too.
                      (If you look at the aprs map, you'll see what I mean...)

                      - Mark
                      N4CMB-11

                      _______________

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                        On 10/3/07, mark.rice@... <mark.rice@...> wrote:

                        > At speeds between 0 and 40 MPH
                        > Use transmit rate from 300 to 120 Sec
                        > Transmit when turning more than 24 degrees
                        > But not more than once every 3 seconds

                        Okay, let's look at this to see what's happening.

                        First the speed section. Generally you will want to have your low
                        speed threshold set up a little above zero. Before SA was turned off,
                        it was necessary. We usually have the low end set around 5 mph.
                        Really, when you are moving that slow, you will be kicking out packets
                        due to turns more than distance.

                        Your high end speed is lower than usual, but it is valid. Normally
                        this is set at top highway speed, but there's no hard fast rule on
                        that. Any time you are traveling at or above the high speed setting,
                        you will be beaconing at the high speed rate.

                        Now, the rate settings... You are asking the unit to beacon every 5
                        minutes when it is sitting still. Do you need to tell everyone that
                        your vehicle is parked and doing nothing every 5 minutes? The general
                        recommendation is to set your low speed rate to 30 minutes. That's
                        1800 seconds. This keeps your position updated on most screens,
                        without causing excessive QRM on the channel. Your fast rate has you
                        reporting every 2 minutes when you are travelling 40 MPH or better.
                        This is a reasonable rate. The general baseline is 3 minutes, but 2 is
                        okay. It depends on the network load in your area. If there are a lot
                        of stations vying for airtime, you might want to slow the rate down to
                        make room for everyone. That's also why you would want to have a slow
                        rate when stopped, as it allows those who are actually doing something
                        active more room to play.

                        Your minimum turn angle is good. This value is the base for the
                        CornerPegging routine, when you are traveling slow, the turn angle
                        required to force a beacon is much larger, based on speed/slope (a
                        value Scott has hard coded in the OT line). This is designed so that
                        you don't beacon for minor course deviations at slow speeds (lane
                        changes) but will catch significant corners on the highway.

                        The real source of those rapid beacons is the very small minimum turn
                        time you have set. If you are travelling at 5 mph for example, and
                        turn a 90 degree corner, you will probably beacon 2 times. This is
                        because at that speed, you probably need something like 40 degrees to
                        make CornerPegging want to report your course change. In a 90 degree
                        corner, you'll find CornerPegging firing off two beacons. The minimum
                        turn time is designed to keep that from happening. If you set the
                        minimum turn time to 30 seconds, you will definitely be around that
                        corner (unless traffic is really bad). This also makes sure you don't
                        send a flurry of beacons when winding your way through a parking lot,
                        or getting dizzy in a traffic circle.

                        So, in summary, I would suggest setting your minimum speed a little
                        higher, your slow rate longer, and your minimum turn time longer.

                        You need to strike a compromise between reporting rates and sharing
                        the channel with others. SmartBeaconing was designed to do just that,
                        but you can also set it up to be a network hog. Setting a static
                        beacon rate in your D700 of 1 minute and leaving it on all day does
                        the same, but Bob doesn't see it that way. At least the D710 drops
                        from it's 1 minute rate using a decay algorithm now, back down to 32
                        minutes when stationary.

                        Hope that helps, and makes sense to you.

                      • mark.rice@L-3com.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                          Thanks James. I'd like to implement some of your comments.

                          Our town of 25,000 people has very little aprs activity, but Dallas
                          isn't far away (45 miles) so I need to be careful with the settings as
                          it can impact metro rf (which is why I don't use Wide3 out here).

                          The slow speed I can change to 5 or even 10mph. If I'm at 10 or below,
                          I'm either coming to a traffic stop or in a parking lot. If it's the
                          latter, I don't leave my aprs on. If it's the former, my speed will
                          resume in less than 2 minutes. The speed of 40mph was selected because
                          of the mostly small-town driving that I do, but I might increase that.

                          Regarding the time setting, I will bump that up a bit as well. It can't
                          hurt and it very like will help with rf sharing.

                          Thanks again, James. I'm grateful for your assistance.

                          - Mark
                          N4CMB-11

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                            On 10/3/07, mark.rice@... <mark.rice@...> wrote:

                            > Our town of 25,000 people has very little aprs activity, but Dallas
                            > isn't far away (45 miles) so I need to be careful with the settings as
                            > it can impact metro rf (which is why I don't use Wide3 out here).

                            The impact your small town activity has on Dallas is minimal, but the
                            impact Dallas can have on your small town by using long paths can be
                            very harmful.

                            > The slow speed I can change to 5 or even 10mph. If I'm at 10 or below,
                            > I'm either coming to a traffic stop or in a parking lot. If it's the
                            > latter, I don't leave my aprs on. If it's the former, my speed will
                            > resume in less than 2 minutes. The speed of 40mph was selected because
                            > of the mostly small-town driving that I do, but I might increase that.

                            Yup, your reasoning makes sense. The idea of having a slow rate at low
                            speeds is so that people can leave their trackers on, and not cause
                            problems doing so. Some people leave them on 24/7, and when they are
                            beaconing every 3 minutes, it wastes a lot of network airtime with
                            static information.

                            > Regarding the time setting, I will bump that up a bit as well. It can't
                            > hurt and it very like will help with rf sharing.

                            Increase that min turn time, and you'll be a very polite APRS users.
                            Now, K5BNI-1 on the other hand is a little crazy. He's sending beacons
                            every 10 seconds. I don't think it's SmartBeaconing, but rather just a
                            static time setting. If you know him well, you have a good chance of
                            showing him the reasoning behind using SmartBeaconing. If you don't
                            know him, you really have to watch how you approach him to ask for a
                            change in settings. I've had people give me explicit instructions on
                            where to go, and how to get there when trying to make contact about
                            changing parameters.

                          • Dan
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 3, 2007
                              I went through a similar thought process.

                              In my case, I am trying to prototype how we would track several red cross feeding vehicles in a county the size of several small states.

                              I came up with the idea that I'm not really trying to figure out their route, I'm more concerned about where they are within a few miles. That meant that packets can be sent less often, and only when the position has changed more than a few miles (which works out to about 20 minutes or so.)

                              In any case, I can poll the tracker to find out where it is at any one time now :)

                              -Dan N7NMD

                            • Keith VE7GDH
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                                James VE6SRV wrote...

                                > Bob Bruninga is dead set against SmartBeaconing because he feels that
                                > SmartBeacon enabled trackers cause extra QRM.

                                You must be mistaken there - hi! He just said over on the APRS SIG...

                                > I have no problem with smart beaconing if somehow it can be set
                                > to AVERAGE no more than about one packet per minute or less like
                                > everyone else...

                                Of course, we all know that SmartBeaconing does a lot more than allow you to
                                have it beacon every minute. It is precisely to prevent something like that
                                happening that SmartBeaconing exists.

                                Also, see a message from Steve KA9MVA from nearly a year ago...
                                www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-November/016924.html
                                and a reply from Bob WB4APR...
                                www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-November/016925.html
                                where he said "I agree completely with all you said."

                                I also suggested that if Kenwood has designed the D710 to allow updates
                                (they released a couple of minor updates the other day) then they could also
                                do an update to add SmartBeaconing. I could have missed it, but I don't
                                think I have seen a reply on that yet.

                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                                  On 10/4/07, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                  > > I have no problem with smart beaconing if somehow it can be set
                                  > > to AVERAGE no more than about one packet per minute or less like
                                  > > everyone else...

                                  That just goes to show that he still hasn't even looked at the concept
                                  of SmartBeaconing. If he did, he would know that it can easily do just
                                  that.

                                  I can make the same uninformed statement about every other APRS
                                  application out there. The Kenwood units have the capability to set
                                  them up to beacon every 12 seconds. I don't know of any lower limits
                                  in any software APRS program. I can set UI-View up to beacon every
                                  second. I bet I can set APRSdos to beacon at less than a 1 minute
                                  interval.

                                  Because an implementation can be configured at a rate of less than one
                                  packet per minute does not mean that it will AVERAGE more than that. I
                                  can run SmartBeaconing configured to beacon once every 10 seconds,
                                  drive for 1 hour, and then park for 6 hours beaconing once per hour.
                                  Does this fulfill Bob's 1 minute average criteria?

                                  > Of course, we all know that SmartBeaconing does a lot more than allow you to
                                  > have it beacon every minute. It is precisely to prevent something like that
                                  > happening that SmartBeaconing exists.

                                  We do indeed, and I sure am glad that developers like Scott take the
                                  time to understand a concept to the point where they add it to their
                                  own hardware.

                                  > I also suggested that if Kenwood has designed the D710 to allow updates
                                  > (they released a couple of minor updates the other day) then they could also
                                  > do an update to add SmartBeaconing. I could have missed it, but I don't
                                  > think I have seen a reply on that yet.

                                  I'm working on that... the bug is in Kenwood's ear if I can believe
                                  the reports from DCC. If Bob is as happy with SmartBeaconing as he
                                  suggests in the messages you point out, then there should be little
                                  reason for not implementing the best network airtime conservation
                                  routine around.