Question

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
      Is this the correct behaviour?
      2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1TVS via EI2TTD* WIDE2-1 ctl UI
      pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:26:45
      0000 '}*qoS}j/]"41}.
      2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1TVS via EI2TTD* EI7TRG* WIDE2*
      ctl UI pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:26:46
      0000 '}*qoS}j/]"41}.

      and also

      2m: fm EI7TRG to APOT2A via WIDE2-1 ctl UI
      pid=F0(Text) len 34 19:31:03
      0000 T#000,151,175,251,000,000,00000010
      2m: fm EI7TRG to APOT2A via EI2MLD* WIDE2 ctl UI
      pid=F0(Text) len 64 19:31:04
      0000 !5200.00N\00700.00W# 10.2V 23Copentracker2
      prototype under test
      2m: fm EI7TRG to APOT2A via EI2MLD* WIDE2 ctl UI
      pid=F0(Text) len 34 19:31:05
      0000 T#000,151,175,251,000,000,00000010
      2m: fm EI7TRG to APOT2A via EI2TTD* WIDE2-1 ctl UI
      pid=F0(Text) len 64 19:31:06
      0000 !5200.00N\00700.00W# 10.2V 23Copentracker2
      prototype under test
      2m: fm EI7TRG to APOT2A via EI2TTD* EI7TRG* WIDE2* ctl
      UI pid=F0(Text) len 64 19:31:08
      0000 !5200.00N\00700.00W# 10.2V 23Copentracker2
      prototype under test

      Where EI7TRG is the OT2 just configured as and from
      about 20 mins ago :) :)

      Regards
      de John
      EI7IG

    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
        > Is this the correct behaviour?
        > 2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1TVS via EI2TTD* WIDE2-1 ctl UI
        > pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:26:45
        > 0000 '}*qoS}j/]"41}.
        > 2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1TVS via EI2TTD* EI7TRG* WIDE2*
        > ctl UI pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:26:46
        > 0000 '}*qoS}j/]"41}.

        Looks right to me... Ei7TRG picked up the WIDE2-1, inserted its callsign
        (marked as digipeated), and decremented it to WIDE2-0, also marked as
        digipeated since it's done at that point.

        > 2m: fm EI7TRG to APOT2A via EI2TTD* EI7TRG* WIDE2* ctl
        > UI pid=F0(Text) len 64 19:31:08
        > 0000 !5200.00N\00700.00W# 10.2V 23Copentracker2
        > prototype under test

        I'm not sure what the question was, but it looks like what happened here was
        that it digipeated its own packet after it bounced back from another digi,
        the root cause being that packets it generates itself aren't getting logged
        in the dupe list. Hmm... that might not be easy to fix, since the whole
        packet is never in memory at one time. I've got an idea on how to fix that,
        not sure if it'll work though.

        Scott
      • Jon
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
          Ok, ignore that question, its the ID function that I'm
          seeing, it puts the callsign in with the digipeated
          bit set and as I had wide2-1 set. I think it was
          setting the digipeated bit in the last WIDE2 set as
          well.

          Haven't tested the GArmin mode, but 'terminal' mode
          works fine, dupe checking doesn't seem to be working.

          2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1UTS via WIDE2-2 ctl UIv
          pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:56:30
          0000 '}^al#4j/]"4&}.
          2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1UTS via EI7TRG* WIDE2-1 ctl UIv
          pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:56:31
          0000 '}^al#4j/]"4&}.
          2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1UTS via EI2MLD* WIDE2-1 ctl UIv
          pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:56:32
          0000 '}^al#4j/]"4&}.
          2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1UTS via EI2TTD* WIDE2-1 ctl UI
          pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:56:33
          0000 '}^al#4j/]"4&}.
          2m: fm EI3GFB-9 to UR1UTS via EI2TTD* EI7TRG* WIDE2*
          ctl UI pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:56:35
          0000 '}^al#4j/]"4&}.

          KISS mode works fine as well... damn this is a nice
          piece of kit.

          When I tried the first board, it keyed up but gave me
          no tx audio, I popped the demodulator chip out and put
          it onto the second board and it worked first go. What
          a pice of work, ta muchly Scott. What do you want
          tested next?

          Cheers
          de John
          EI7IG

        • Jon
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
            > Looks right to me... Ei7TRG picked up the WIDE2-1,
            > inserted its callsign
            > (marked as digipeated), and decremented it to
            > WIDE2-0, also marked as
            > digipeated since it's done at that point.
            Yeah, figured it out sorry.
            > I'm not sure what the question was, but it looks
            > like what happened here was
            > that it digipeated its own packet after it bounced
            > back from another digi,
            > the root cause being that packets it generates
            > itself aren't getting logged
            > in the dupe list. Hmm... that might not be easy to
            > fix, since the whole
            > packet is never in memory at one time. I've got an
            > idea on how to fix that,
            > not sure if it'll work though.
            That was my question :). Right, I'm off out for a
            walk.. its going to be raining tomorrow (again)..

            l8r (& thanks).

            de John
            EI7IG

          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
              > That was my question :). Right, I'm off out for a
              > walk.. its going to be raining tomorrow (again)..

              The easy way to handle the self-dupe problem is to have it ignore packets
              with its own source call. That won't necessarily help in KISS mode, but I
              can deal with KISS separately - outgoing frames get buffered, and I can
              easily add them to the dupe list. So I guess it shouldn't be a big deal
              after all.

              Scott
            • Jon
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                This may be a(nother) stupid question on my behalf.
                Will the tracker2 be supporting the opentrac protocol
                (or both?)?

                Regards
                John

                Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com
              • scott@opentrac.org
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                  It'll have OpenTRAC protocol support eventually.. but right now APRS is the
                  priority.

                  Scott

                • Jon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2007
                    Firstly I must preface the question with the caveat,
                    that I don't know what the firmware version of the
                    tracker2 is, so I must visit the site this week and
                    update it.

                    I was watching APRS traffic this afternoon as we have
                    just put another digi/Igate in place when I spotted
                    this.
                    2m: fm EI3JB-9 to U2QTQR via WIDE1-1 WIDE2-1 ctl UIv
                    pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:08:40
                    0000 '}^dl .>/]"3r}.
                    2m: fm EI3JB-9 to U2QTQR via EI2WCD-2* WIDE1* WIDE2-1
                    ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:08:41
                    0000 '}^dl .>/]"3r}.
                    2m: fm EI3JB-9 to U2QTQR via EI2WWD-3* WIDE2-1 ctl UIv
                    pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:08:43
                    0000 '}^dl .>/]"3r}.

                    My question is why the WIDE1* in the second packet? I
                    know that the WIDE1 has been used up, but I
                    (incorrectly?) assumed that the digipeater would just
                    replace the WIDE1-1 with its own callsign and continue
                    on, like the third line.

                    Regards
                    John

                  • Cap Pennell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Some types of digis will insert their own callsign into the digipeated
                      packet one or the other of those ways you spotted. The way either digi type
                      _operates_ is not different.

                      Depending on the digipeater hardware in use, a user's packet starting out
                      addressed via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 may come out of the first digi (DIGIA) showing
                      as
                      DIGIA,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1
                      or as
                      DIGIA*,WIDE2-1

                      In either case, the last "*" (immediately preceding WIDE2-1) indicates that
                      second (WIDE2-1) hop is still available to be operated by the next digi in
                      line. Operation is the same in either of those "DIGIA" cases.
                      73, Cap KE6AFE

                      P.S. After the second hop of the mobile user's WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path, the
                      packet's path may look like either:
                      DIGIA,WIDE1,DIGIB*,WIDE2
                      or
                      DIGIA,DIGIB*,WIDE2

                    • Jon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                        --- Cap Pennell <ke6afe@...> wrote:

                        > Some types of digis will insert their own callsign
                        > into the digipeated
                        > packet one or the other of those ways you spotted.
                        > The way either digi type
                        > _operates_ is not different.
                        >
                        > Depending on the digipeater hardware in use, a
                        > user's packet starting out
                        > addressed via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 may come out of the
                        > first digi (DIGIA) showing
                        > as
                        > DIGIA,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1
                        > or as
                        Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
                        DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1

                        Which is really what I was querying

                        Regards
                        John

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
                          On 3/5/07, Jon <c0j_1999@...> wrote:
                          > Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
                          > DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1

                          What hardware/software are you using to view the packets?

                          The asterisk (*) is a visual representation of the has-been-digipeated
                          bit. On the Kantronics equipment, only the last has-been-digipeated
                          bit is shown. Xastir on the other hand shows all has-been-digipeated
                          bits.

                          The format of the packets you have copied to your message is different
                          than any that I have seen previously. I know UI-View likes to split
                          the packet into 2 lines. I'm just curious as to what you are using to
                          view the packets, and possible parameters that make them appear as
                          such.

                        • Jon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
                            --- James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                            > On 3/5/07, Jon <c0j_1999@...> wrote:
                            > > Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
                            > > DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1
                            >
                            > What hardware/software are you using to view the
                            > packets?
                            >
                            > The asterisk (*) is a visual representation of the
                            > has-been-digipeated
                            > bit. On the Kantronics equipment, only the last
                            > has-been-digipeated
                            > bit is shown. Xastir on the other hand shows all
                            > has-been-digipeated
                            > bits.
                            >
                            > The format of the packets you have copied to your
                            > message is different
                            > than any that I have seen previously. I know UI-View
                            > likes to split
                            > the packet into 2 lines. I'm just curious as to what
                            > you are using to
                            > view the packets, and possible parameters that make
                            > them appear as
                            > such.

                            Oh ok,
                            On Linux
                            j0n@ei3rcw:~$ listen -t -a
                            2m: fm EI8EPB to APRS via EI2WCD-2* WIDE2* ctl UI^
                            pid=F0(Text) len 57 16:03:54
                            0000 !5232.27NS00728.54W#PHG2140/W1,Mullinahone Co.
                            Tipperary.
                            2m: fm EI8EPB to APRS via EI2MLD-2* WIDE2 ctl UI^
                            pid=F0(Text) len 57 16:03:55
                            0000 !5232.27NS00728.54W#PHG2140/W1,Mullinahone Co.
                            Tipperary.

                            They appear to be wrapped by the yahoo email gui :(

                            > James
                            > VE6SRV

                            > --------------------~-->
                            > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See
                            > the new email design.

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

                          • sdroe1956
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                              Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
                              to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.

                              Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                              Thanks
                              Sam Roe
                              KB7QQQ
                            • Curt, WE7U
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                                On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:

                                > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
                                > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
                                >
                                > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                                *) Search and Rescue.

                                *) Public Service Events (marathons, bike events, horse events,
                                walk-a-thons, etc).

                                *) Source of info while traveling.

                                *) Two-way messaging to other hams.

                                *) One-way e-mails to internet addresses.

                                I've used it for all of the above and probably a few more I can't
                                think of right now.

                                --
                                Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                                http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                                  On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                                  > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                                  FWIW: My last answer wasn't Tracker2-specific.

                                  For mapping you'll need a mapping GPS or a laptop/desktop/PDA.

                                  For messaging you'll need one of these:

                                  *) Garmin NUVI/Tracker2 combo
                                  *) Laptop/desktop plus TNC
                                  *) HamHUD plus TNC
                                  *) Kenwood APRS radio

                                  I'm using an OpenTracker in my Jeep but plan to switch to a Tracker2
                                  (I've been saying that for _way_ too long now, and even have a
                                  Tracker2 to put there!). This will give me one-way tracking
                                  normally, but if I hook it to a laptop or HamHUD I'll have messaging
                                  capability. Perhaps I'll get a Garmin NUVI later which will also
                                  give me messaging.

                                  Plug in a laptop or mapping GPS and I'll be able to see where
                                  everybody else is. It'll be a nice setup for a mobile 'cuz when I
                                  unplug the laptop I'll be back to the normal one-way tracking.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                                    On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM, sdroe1956 <kb7qqq@...> wrote:

                                    > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
                                    > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
                                    >
                                    > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                                    If you're just going to the expense just so you know where you are, I
                                    have a cheaper solution... buy a mirror. If you look into it, and
                                    you're not there, then you're in trouble!

                                    As Curt said, it's much more than just looking at a webpage to see
                                    where you've been. I can find my buddies driving around town, right
                                    there on the screen in front of me. When they pop up on my screen, I
                                    know they are out driving around, and can call them. Of course if your
                                    general conversations revolve around where are you, and what's the
                                    weather like, stay away from APRS. All of that is displayed in front
                                    of you.

                                    You can share frequency information with others, as well as find out
                                    the frequencies of local repeaters. You can find out about current
                                    activities in the area, and much more.

                                    One of the fun things I like to use APRS for, is tracking high
                                    altitude balloons, and getting telemetry information from them. When
                                    you send a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics up to >100,000
                                    feet, it's always nice to be able to get it back. It also helps with
                                    getting access to any still images, videos, or experiment payloads you
                                    may have carried to altitude.

                                    Sam, you obviously haven't sat in on a Bob Bruninga APRS sermon! 8)

                                    There's much more to APRS than just tracking your vehicle.

                                  • Richard Bauer
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                                      we keep one in our camper so friends and family can see where we are.

                                      '73,
                                      rich, n9dko