Re: [tracker2] Re: Question about Rev E unit

  • Tom Tengdin
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
      Look on the web for

      agwpe

      This package uses your soundcard for the TNC.

      I have successfully decoded packets by having my portable sitting
      next to the laptop using the laptop built in mic.

      Great troubleshooting tool.

      WB9VXY

      k9sarfrog wrote:

      > Callsign: K9RMA
      > Location: Bothell WA 98011
      >
      > I do hear other stations. GPS is locked. I'll listen to my TX on
      > another radio tonight. I do not have another TNC.
      >
      > The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
      > findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?
      >
      > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011
      > <http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011>
      >
      > Thanks
      > Chris

      > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Chris (callsign???) wrote...
      > >
      > > > Received my unit. updated the configuration with my call-sign and
      > > > Garmin GPS. I see the RX and ACT LEDs flash red every cycle. and
      > the
      > > > radio transmits out. However I don't see my info on findu.
      > > > should I be doing something else?
      > >
      > > You could start by telling us your callsign, your approximate
      > location (are
      > > you within range of an IGate or a digi that can be heard by an
      > IGate?), and
      > > what path you are using. What do your transmitted tones sound
      > like? What
      > > TXDelay are you using?You could also see if you could decode your
      > > transmitted tones. Do you have another TNC to try that with? If
      > not, do
      > > you have a friend "across town" that could confirm that your tones
      > can be
      > > decoded OK? Does the GPS have a lock? Lots of questions, but you
      > give us
      > > much to go on.
      > >
      > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      > > --
      > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
        Chris K9RMA wrote...

        > Callsign: K9RMA
        > Location: Bothell WA 98011
        > I do hear other stations. GPS is locked.
        > I'll listen to my TX on another radio tonight. I do not have another TNC.
        >
        > The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
        > findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?
        > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011

        I tried http://map.findu.com/K9RMA* (note the asterisk) and it doesn't like
        your callsign with any SSID has made it to an IGate. Now that we know your
        location (near Bothell WA) we know that there is a LOT of APRS activity
        around you. KD7NM-5 is less than 2 km to your east. When I say "a lot" I
        don't mean a lot within a few blocks of you, but the Seattle area just to
        your south is a very high-density area for APRS use. You shouldn't have any
        trouble finding someone close to you with a TNC to help pinpoint the
        problem.

        As Tom WB9VXY suggested, you could try a "software based TNC" and try
        decoding your own tones if you have another radio to listen with.

        If you have listened to other packet signals, it could help determine if
        your transmitted tones sound "normal" or not. Typical problems are not
        enough deviation, or (more often) too much deviation. Another one would be
        having the TXDelay too short. Having it too long is wasteful of bandwidth,
        but too short and the beginning of your transmission will be cut off.

        Are you using an SSID after your callsign?

        What path are you using? With no path or an improper path, you would still
        show up at findu.com if you were heard direct by an IGate. With a proper
        path... eg. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or just WIDE2-2 you should get two hops via
        nearby digis.

        I know you said you could hear other stations, but how much power are you
        running, and into what antenna? Is the SWR OK? Even with a terrible match
        you would probably still hear other stations.

        Looking at www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KD7NM-5 (apparently your closest
        neighbour) and then going to nearby activity, there is a digi (RDMND) just 6
        miles to his SE, but it hasn't been heard for a couple of days, so scratch
        that one off the list. Looking at a nearby mobile station, it was gated by
        KD7NM which is only about 12.4 km or 7.7 miles to your NW... not too far if
        you are putting 5W into a quarter wave with a good ground plane or whatever.
        You could run down the list of stations "nearby activity" and look at RF
        stations around you.... e.g. you could look at mobile stations and look at
        their paths and which IGate last gated them.

        The ball's in your court now to do some logical troubleshooting and to
        answer a few more of the questions.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
          On 9/6/07, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
          > Callsign: K9RMA
          > Location: Bothell WA 98011

          > The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
          > findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?

          http://aprs.he.fi will give you a great map of local activity, as well
          as some data mining that is not available on findu.com

          http://www.db0anf.de/app/aprs will give you a good map of your area,
          as well as some data mining that is not available in findu.com or
          aprs.he.fi.

          Put all of these in your arsenal of tools for viewing data on the
          internet stream.

          You can discover which stations around you are digipeating or i-gating
          on both sites above. Click on the info page on aprs.he.fi to get
          information about the station, inlcuding stations near you, stations
          that have heard you directly on RF, and stations that have acted upon
          your packets on the last 48 hours.

          On www.db0anf.de, the used digipeater page will show you everyone that
          has acted upon your packets in it's history buffer. If you are acting
          as a digipeater or i-gate, you can see all the users that you have
          acted upon. You can also have the site show a map of where all those
          users are located.

        • Ian ZL1VFO
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2007
            Er, check your deviation perhaps?