Rev E units available

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 19 3:40 PM
      I'm making a few of the first test run of rev E T2's available on the
      website. I'll make some superficial changes to the board layout (mostly
      just changing the legend from Proto E to Ver 1.0) but other than that
      these are identical to what's coming from the factory in a few weeks.

      I've also switched to diffused LEDs rather than the water clear type
      most of these were built with, but that's mostly to make it easy to see
      which LED goes where and to increase the viewing angle a little. (The
      red and green LEDs in the photograph are neither - they actually weren't
      on the photographed unit at all and were photoshopped in because it was
      quicker than setting up the photo stuff again.)

      I'm not offering any discounts on this batch, mostly because buying
      parts in prototype quantities means there's not much margin and because
      assembly takes so dang long. But your $85 gets you a T2 weeks before
      they're generally available, and you get a unit that was lovingly
      hand-built by the designer, microscopically inspected, and fully tested.

      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73

      Also, I've found the problem with MAXRANGE for NMEA stations. It's
      fixed and I'll post the new firmware tonight.

      Scott
    • dondorgram
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20 11:10 PM
        Where is the new firmware posted? Did you also manage to solve the
        CTL C issue that you think randomly drops the OT2 out of Garmin MODE
        in 54100 (my latest OT2 with 54090 is still chugging away after a
        week. The OT2 with 54100 jumps to Auto randomly in hours or a few
        days).

        Graham
        VE6GW

        > I'm making a few of the first test run of rev E T2's available on
        the
        > website. I'll make some superficial changes to the board layout
        (mostly
        > just changing the legend from Proto E to Ver 1.0) but other than
        that
        > these are identical to what's coming from the factory in a few
        weeks.

        > I've also switched to diffused LEDs rather than the water clear
        type
        > most of these were built with, but that's mostly to make it easy to
        see
        > which LED goes where and to increase the viewing angle a little.
        (The
        > red and green LEDs in the photograph are neither - they actually
        weren't
        > on the photographed unit at all and were photoshopped in because it
        was
        > quicker than setting up the photo stuff again.)
        >
        > I'm not offering any discounts on this batch, mostly because buying
        > parts in prototype quantities means there's not much margin and
        because
        > assembly takes so dang long. But your $85 gets you a T2 weeks
        before
        > they're generally available, and you get a unit that was lovingly
        > hand-built by the designer, microscopically inspected, and fully
        tested.

        > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73
        >
        > Also, I've found the problem with MAXRANGE for NMEA stations. It's
        > fixed and I'll post the new firmware tonight.
        >
        > Scott

      • dondorgram
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30 2:07 PM
          Scott:

          On 21 Aug you indicated you were posting an update on firmware with
          MAXRANGE fix. I have not had any luck finding it. Also was
          wondering about the Ctl C issue in Garmin mode.

          And on the Rev E's - when do you think the production units will be
          in?

          Graham VE6GW

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "dondorgram" <walker.graham@...>

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30 2:15 PM
            The current firmware revision (hit the 'web' button in the config program) should have both fixes.

            As for the production units, the assembly contractor said they'd be here in about 4 weeks.  That was a few days ago, but it'll take a few days for testing and final assembly.

            wrote:

            > Where is the new firmware posted? Did you also manage to solve
            the
            > CTL C issue that you think randomly drops the OT2 out of Garmin
            MODE
            > in 54100 (my latest OT2 with 54090 is still chugging away after a
            > week. The OT2 with 54100 jumps to Auto randomly in hours or a few
            > days).
            >
            > Graham
            > VE6GW
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm making a few of the first test run of rev E T2's available
            on
            > the
            > > website. I'll make some superficial changes to the board layout
            > (mostly
            > > just changing the legend from Proto E to Ver 1.0) but other than
            > that
            > > these are identical to what's coming from the factory in a few
            > weeks.
            > >
            > > I've also switched to diffused LEDs rather than the water clear
            > type
            > > most of these were built with, but that's mostly to make it easy
            > see
            > > which LED goes where and to increase the viewing angle a
            little.
            > (The
            > > red and green LEDs in the photograph are neither - they actually
            > weren't
            > > on the photographed unit at all and were photoshopped in because
            it
            > was
            > > quicker than setting up the photo stuff again.)
            > >
            > > I'm not offering any discounts on this batch, mostly because
            buying
            > > parts in prototype quantities means there's not much margin and
            > because
            > > assembly takes so dang long. But your $85 gets you a T2 weeks
            > before
            > > they're generally available, and you get a unit that was
            lovingly
            > > hand-built by the designer, microscopically inspected, and fully
            > tested.
            > >
            > > https://www. argentdata. com/catalog/ product_info. php?
            products_id= 73

            > > Also, I've found the problem with MAXRANGE for NMEA stations.
            It's
            > > fixed and I'll post the new firmware tonight.
            > >
            > > Scott

            Sell Online

            Start selling with

            our award-winning

            e-commerce tools.

            Yoga Groups

            Find Enlightenment

            & exchange insights

            with other members

          • k9sarfrog
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
              Recieved my unit. updated the configuration with my call-sign and
              garmin gps. I see the RX and ACT leds flash red every cycle. and the
              radio transmits out. However I don't see my info on findu.

              should I be doing something else?

              Thanks
              Chris
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                Listen to your transmission on another radio if you can. Make sure
                there's audio there, make sure it's not overdeviating. Can you hear the
                nearest digipeater OK? How far away is the nearest IGate?

                Scott

                k9sarfrog wrote:

                > Recieved my unit. updated the configuration with my call-sign and
                > garmin gps. I see the RX and ACT leds flash red every cycle. and the
                > radio transmits out. However I don't see my info on findu.
                >
                > should I be doing something else?
                >
                > Thanks
                > Chris

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Chris (callsign???) wrote...

                  > Received my unit. updated the configuration with my call-sign and
                  > Garmin GPS. I see the RX and ACT LEDs flash red every cycle. and the
                  > radio transmits out. However I don't see my info on findu.
                  > should I be doing something else?

                  You could start by telling us your callsign, your approximate location (are
                  you within range of an IGate or a digi that can be heard by an IGate?), and
                  what path you are using. What do your transmitted tones sound like? What
                  TXDelay are you using?You could also see if you could decode your
                  transmitted tones. Do you have another TNC to try that with? If not, do
                  you have a friend "across town" that could confirm that your tones can be
                  decoded OK? Does the GPS have a lock? Lots of questions, but you give us
                  much to go on.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                    I wrote...

                    > Lots of questions, but you give us much to go on.

                    That should of course have been "but you don't give us much to go on" hi!

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • k9sarfrog
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                      Callsign: K9RMA
                      Location: Bothell WA 98011

                      I do hear other stations. GPS is locked. I'll listen to my TX on
                      another radio tonight. I do not have another TNC.

                      The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
                      findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?

                      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011

                      Thanks
                      Chris

                      > Chris (callsign???) wrote...
                      >
                      > > Received my unit. updated the configuration with my call-sign and
                      > > Garmin GPS. I see the RX and ACT LEDs flash red every cycle. and
                      the
                      > > radio transmits out. However I don't see my info on findu.
                      > > should I be doing something else?
                      >
                      > You could start by telling us your callsign, your approximate
                      location (are
                      > you within range of an IGate or a digi that can be heard by an
                      IGate?), and
                      > what path you are using. What do your transmitted tones sound
                      like? What
                      > TXDelay are you using?You could also see if you could decode your
                      > transmitted tones. Do you have another TNC to try that with? If
                      not, do
                      > you have a friend "across town" that could confirm that your tones
                      can be
                      > decoded OK? Does the GPS have a lock? Lots of questions, but you
                      give us
                      > much to go on.
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                    • Tom Tengdin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                        Look on the web for

                        agwpe

                        This package uses your soundcard for the TNC.

                        I have successfully decoded packets by having my portable sitting
                        next to the laptop using the laptop built in mic.

                        Great troubleshooting tool.

                        WB9VXY

                        k9sarfrog wrote:

                        > Callsign: K9RMA
                        > Location: Bothell WA 98011
                        >
                        > I do hear other stations. GPS is locked. I'll listen to my TX on
                        > another radio tonight. I do not have another TNC.
                        >
                        > The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
                        > findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?
                        >
                        > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011
                        > <http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011>
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Chris

                        > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Chris (callsign???) wrote...
                        > >
                        > > > Received my unit. updated the configuration with my call-sign and
                        > > > Garmin GPS. I see the RX and ACT LEDs flash red every cycle. and
                        > the
                        > > > radio transmits out. However I don't see my info on findu.
                        > > > should I be doing something else?
                        > >
                        > > You could start by telling us your callsign, your approximate
                        > location (are
                        > > you within range of an IGate or a digi that can be heard by an
                        > IGate?), and
                        > > what path you are using. What do your transmitted tones sound
                        > like? What
                        > > TXDelay are you using?You could also see if you could decode your
                        > > transmitted tones. Do you have another TNC to try that with? If
                        > not, do
                        > > you have a friend "across town" that could confirm that your tones
                        > can be
                        > > decoded OK? Does the GPS have a lock? Lots of questions, but you
                        > give us
                        > > much to go on.
                        > >
                        > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        > > --
                        > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                          Chris K9RMA wrote...

                          > Callsign: K9RMA
                          > Location: Bothell WA 98011
                          > I do hear other stations. GPS is locked.
                          > I'll listen to my TX on another radio tonight. I do not have another TNC.
                          >
                          > The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
                          > findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?
                          > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/map-near.cgi?zip=98011

                          I tried http://map.findu.com/K9RMA* (note the asterisk) and it doesn't like
                          your callsign with any SSID has made it to an IGate. Now that we know your
                          location (near Bothell WA) we know that there is a LOT of APRS activity
                          around you. KD7NM-5 is less than 2 km to your east. When I say "a lot" I
                          don't mean a lot within a few blocks of you, but the Seattle area just to
                          your south is a very high-density area for APRS use. You shouldn't have any
                          trouble finding someone close to you with a TNC to help pinpoint the
                          problem.

                          As Tom WB9VXY suggested, you could try a "software based TNC" and try
                          decoding your own tones if you have another radio to listen with.

                          If you have listened to other packet signals, it could help determine if
                          your transmitted tones sound "normal" or not. Typical problems are not
                          enough deviation, or (more often) too much deviation. Another one would be
                          having the TXDelay too short. Having it too long is wasteful of bandwidth,
                          but too short and the beginning of your transmission will be cut off.

                          Are you using an SSID after your callsign?

                          What path are you using? With no path or an improper path, you would still
                          show up at findu.com if you were heard direct by an IGate. With a proper
                          path... eg. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or just WIDE2-2 you should get two hops via
                          nearby digis.

                          I know you said you could hear other stations, but how much power are you
                          running, and into what antenna? Is the SWR OK? Even with a terrible match
                          you would probably still hear other stations.

                          Looking at www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KD7NM-5 (apparently your closest
                          neighbour) and then going to nearby activity, there is a digi (RDMND) just 6
                          miles to his SE, but it hasn't been heard for a couple of days, so scratch
                          that one off the list. Looking at a nearby mobile station, it was gated by
                          KD7NM which is only about 12.4 km or 7.7 miles to your NW... not too far if
                          you are putting 5W into a quarter wave with a good ground plane or whatever.
                          You could run down the list of stations "nearby activity" and look at RF
                          stations around you.... e.g. you could look at mobile stations and look at
                          their paths and which IGate last gated them.

                          The ball's in your court now to do some logical troubleshooting and to
                          answer a few more of the questions.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                            On 9/6/07, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
                            > Callsign: K9RMA
                            > Location: Bothell WA 98011

                            > The only tool that I know that tells me the nearest APRS stations is
                            > findu. is there a easy way to know which is a digipeater/IGate?

                            http://aprs.he.fi will give you a great map of local activity, as well
                            as some data mining that is not available on findu.com

                            http://www.db0anf.de/app/aprs will give you a good map of your area,
                            as well as some data mining that is not available in findu.com or
                            aprs.he.fi.

                            Put all of these in your arsenal of tools for viewing data on the
                            internet stream.

                            You can discover which stations around you are digipeating or i-gating
                            on both sites above. Click on the info page on aprs.he.fi to get
                            information about the station, inlcuding stations near you, stations
                            that have heard you directly on RF, and stations that have acted upon
                            your packets on the last 48 hours.

                            On www.db0anf.de, the used digipeater page will show you everyone that
                            has acted upon your packets in it's history buffer. If you are acting
                            as a digipeater or i-gate, you can see all the users that you have
                            acted upon. You can also have the site show a map of where all those
                            users are located.

                          • Ian ZL1VFO
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 7, 2007
                              Er, check your deviation perhaps?