Re: [tracker2] idle current of T2-DR135 combo?

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13 4:37 PM
      Paulus N5SNN wrote...

      > On mine, DR-135 Mk III, the transmit current is 8.9 A
      > at 13.8V with indicated power out 50 Watts on a power
      > meter. The RF power amp module itself is a 70 Watt
      > one, so you can tweak the amp to squeeze more transmit
      > power out.

      I didn't measure the current on transmit, just on receive. The 12 amps that
      I quoted was from the specs in the manual. I thought the 400 mA on receive
      was pretty respectable. I'm sure there are a lot of rigs that draw more on
      standby. For APRS, the major power consideration is the receiver if it is on
      all of the time. The short transmissions are relatively insignificant
      compared to a receiver which is drawing current all of the time. For APRS
      use, the transmission rate should be pretty low when a vehicle is parked.
      When a vehicle is moving, it doesn't really matter because the alternator is
      charging the battery.

      If someone really needs to be watching the power consumption, they could use
      the something like the OT1M which can turn the radio on when needed. Even
      the OT1 and OT1X can do the same with external circuitry. For the T2-135,
      the feature isn't available. Of course, long winded QSOs on voice could run
      a battery down pretty quickly.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH