Re: [tracker2] Garmin Etrex

  • g8uve
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
      Hi Scott

      I'll respond off List if that's ok

      Regards

      David G8UVE
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Scott Miller" <scott@...>
      To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:51 PM
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] Garmin Etrex

      :I did a little research and it sounds like the problem is that the newer
      : eTrex units require a 'wake up' signal on the serial port. I should be
      : able to accommodate that with a firmware change, if I can determine
      : exactly what is needed.
      :
      : If someone has one of these units and determines that it's not working
      : right, I'd be happy to take a look at it and make the required changes.
      :
      : Scott
      :
      :
    • g8uve
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
        Hi Scott

        I'm told the Etrex needs a wake up voltage of 5V

        I was playing with an OT1 that Ross G6GVI has an the last couple of days

        His Garmin Etrex worked and mine didn't

        By the way my Garmin software version is 3.51

        The TT3+ had the same problem but was sorted out with a new chip and an update to
        the programming software

        A soon as I hear the problem is sorted I'll be ordering a couple of OT1's

        I know Ross G6GVI is VERY impressed with them

        Regards

        David G8UVE

        :I did a little research and it sounds like the problem is that the newer
        : eTrex units require a 'wake up' signal on the serial port. I should be
        : able to accommodate that with a firmware change, if I can determine
        : exactly what is needed.
        :
        : If someone has one of these units and determines that it's not working
        : right, I'd be happy to take a look at it and make the required changes.
        :
        : Scott
        :
        : g8uve wrote:
        : >
        : >
        : > Hi Scott
        : >
        : > That was quick
        : >
        : > Thank you
        : >
        : > The Etrex is yellow in colour and about a month old
        : >
        : > My friends Etrex which is exactly the same but about six months old works ok
        : >
        : > The leads are Garmin leads with a 9 pin D connector
        : >
        : > Both Etrex's work ok with a programme called Autoroute 2007 using the
        : > serial port
        : > on a laptop
        : >
        : > The data can be viewed and stored on the laptop using Hyperterm
        : >
        : > It looks like Garmin may have changed the on board software of the Etrex
        : > recently
        : >
        : > Regards
        : >
        : > David G8UVE
        : >
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
          My own eTrex died after spending a 2-day hike in my cargo pocket,
          frequently submerged in the north fork of the Virgin River in Zion NP.
          It always worked ok without a wakeup voltage, I think.

          If you want to send me your eTrex I'll be happy to try it out.
          Otherwise it might be a little while before I get a chance to test it.

          Come to think of it, I can try a quick fix and see if that fixes
          anything. The trick is doing it without breaking the waypoint output
          feature.

          Scott

          g8uve wrote:

          > Hi Scott
          >
          > I'm told the Etrex needs a wake up voltage of 5V
          >
          > I was playing with an OT1 that Ross G6GVI has an the last couple of days
          >
          > His Garmin Etrex worked and mine didn't
          >
          > By the way my Garmin software version is 3.51
          >
          > The TT3+ had the same problem but was sorted out with a new chip and an
          > update to
          > the programming software
          >
          > A soon as I hear the problem is sorted I'll be ordering a couple of OT1's
          >
          > I know Ross G6GVI is VERY impressed with them
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > David G8UVE

        • Glen Akins
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
            It's possible Garmin did a running change to the etrex hardware so that
            only later production units need the wake up signal. I think I read this
            on the Nikon D1/D2/D200 forum over at dpreview.com.

            -Glen