1 wire wx station

  • va3ytr
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6 5:57 PM
      I'm getting to ready to deploy a remote weather station:

      AAG 1 wire wx station
      AAG humidity sensor
      OpenTracker2 Proto C (build 54100)

      When I have just the weather station connected, all is good. If I I
      connect the 1-wire humidity sensor then the OT seems to freeze after
      about 30 seconds.

      The humidity sensor works fine with a PC.

      Any idea?

      Any chance of adding the 1-wire pressure sensor?

      Thanks,

      Marc VE5MPA
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6 6:39 PM
        Which humidity sensor is it? I've only tested with one type.

        Scott

        va3ytr wrote:

        > I'm getting to ready to deploy a remote weather station:
        >
        > AAG 1 wire wx station
        > AAG humidity sensor
        > OpenTracker2 Proto C (build 54100)
        >
        > When I have just the weather station connected, all is good. If I I
        > connect the 1-wire humidity sensor then the OT seems to freeze after
        > about 30 seconds.
        >
        > The humidity sensor works fine with a PC.
        >
        > Any idea?
        >
        > Any chance of adding the 1-wire pressure sensor?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Marc VE5MPA

      • Marc Archambault
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7 6:20 PM
          TAI-8540 (HIH 3610-A sensor from HONEYWELL)

          Marc

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9 11:45 AM
            Are you plugging the humidity sensor into the 1-wire WX station? I had
            some trouble with wiring when I was testing - since the OT1m (and OT2m)
            was set up to use a cross-over type telephone cable, you couldn't plug
            the humidity unit directly in to it, but you could plug it in to the
            weather station.

            It's not suppose to lock up, in any case. I'll see which unit it was I
            tested.

            Can you do a devlist and send me the IDs with the humidity sensor connected?

            Scott

            Marc Archambault wrote:

            > TAI-8540 (HIH 3610-A sensor from HONEYWELL)
            >
            > Marc

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Which humidity sensor is it? I've only tested with one type.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > va3ytr wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I'm getting to ready to deploy a remote weather station:
            > > >
            > > > AAG 1 wire wx station
            > > > AAG humidity sensor
            > > > OpenTracker2 Proto C (build 54100)
            > > >
            > > > When I have just the weather station connected, all is good. If I
            > > > connect the 1-wire humidity sensor then the OT seems to freeze
            > after
            > > > about 30 seconds.
            > > >
            > > > The humidity sensor works fine with a PC.
            > > >
            > > > Any idea?
            > > >
            > > > Any chance of adding the 1-wire pressure sensor?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > >
            > > > Marc VE5MPA

          • Marc Archambault
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 12 2:44 PM
              With only the wind instrument plugged-in:

              1-Wire Bus Scan:
              203DF400000000F1
              10A24A1B00080047
              1D13E40000000004

              When I plug the TAI08540 humdity into the weather instrument using a
              4 wire straight through ...

              1-Wire Bus Scan:
              203DF400000000F1
              10A24A1B00080047
              Unknown error

              When I plug the TAI 08540 into the weather inst using a 2 wire
              straight through ...

              cmd:devlist
              1-Wire Bus Scan:
              203DF400000000F1
              10A24A1B00080047
              265DD5A3000000A8
              1D13E40000000004
              cmd:wxinfo
              TEMP:72 WIND 337 AT 0 GUST 0 *

              Why is it that I plug the humidity sensor with a standard telco wire
              (cross pin 1 & 4) directly into the OT2, I get the following error
              (and shortly after the OT2 freezes):

              cmd:devlist
              1-Wire Bus Scan:
              Bus Error

              Ideally, I should be able to plug the humidity sensor into the
              OpenTracker2 (using 4 wire crossover on 1 & 4) and then plug the
              weather instrument into the humidity sensor ... I'll play around with
              cabling a bit more, maybe I'm missing something here....

              Cheers, Marc

              VE5MPA / CW8445

              > Are you plugging the humidity sensor into the 1-wire WX station? I
              had
              > some trouble with wiring when I was testing - since the OT1m (and
              OT2m)
              > was set up to use a cross-over type telephone cable, you couldn't
              plug
              > the humidity unit directly in to it, but you could plug it in to
              the
              > weather station.
              >
              > It's not suppose to lock up, in any case. I'll see which unit it
              was I
              > tested.
              >
              > Can you do a devlist and send me the IDs with the humidity sensor
              connected?

              > Scott
              >
              > Marc Archambault wrote:
              > >

              > > TAI-8540 (HIH 3610-A sensor from HONEYWELL)
              > >
              > > Marc
              > >
              > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 12 2:54 PM
                I configured the RJ12 port on the T2 so that you could use standard
                (twisted) telephone cable to connect the 1-wire station. But at least
                the humidity sensor I've got on hand here is wired straight through (it
                has an integrated cable), so you can't plug it in directly. You can
                plug it in to the wind instrument and it'll work, though.

                When the bus scan shows the humidity sensor, does the humidity show up
                properly in the weather packet?

                Scott

                Marc Archambault wrote:

                > With only the wind instrument plugged-in:
                >
                > 1-Wire Bus Scan:
                > 203DF400000000F1
                > 10A24A1B00080047
                > 1D13E40000000004
                >
                > When I plug the TAI08540 humdity into the weather instrument using a
                > 4 wire straight through ...
                >
                > 1-Wire Bus Scan:
                > 203DF400000000F1
                > 10A24A1B00080047
                > Unknown error
                >
                > When I plug the TAI 08540 into the weather inst using a 2 wire
                > straight through ...
                >
                > cmd:devlist
                > 1-Wire Bus Scan:
                > 203DF400000000F1
                > 10A24A1B00080047
                > 265DD5A3000000A8
                > 1D13E40000000004
                > cmd:wxinfo
                > TEMP:72 WIND 337 AT 0 GUST 0 *
                >
                > Why is it that I plug the humidity sensor with a standard telco wire
                > (cross pin 1 & 4) directly into the OT2, I get the following error
                > (and shortly after the OT2 freezes):
                >
                > cmd:devlist
                > 1-Wire Bus Scan:
                > Bus Error
                >
                > Ideally, I should be able to plug the humidity sensor into the
                > OpenTracker2 (using 4 wire crossover on 1 & 4) and then plug the
                > weather instrument into the humidity sensor ... I'll play around with
                > cabling a bit more, maybe I'm missing something here....
                >
                > Cheers, Marc
                >
                > VE5MPA / CW8445

                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Are you plugging the humidity sensor into the 1-wire WX station? I
                > had
                > > some trouble with wiring when I was testing - since the OT1m (and
                > OT2m)
                > > was set up to use a cross-over type telephone cable, you couldn't
                > plug
                > > the humidity unit directly in to it, but you could plug it in to
                > the
                > > weather station.
                > >
                > > It's not suppose to lock up, in any case. I'll see which unit it
                > was I
                > > tested.
                > >
                > > Can you do a devlist and send me the IDs with the humidity sensor
                > connected?
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >
                > > Marc Archambault wrote:
                > > >

                > > > TAI-8540 (HIH 3610-A sensor from HONEYWELL)
                > > >
                > > > Marc
                > > >
                > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > If I
                > freeze
                > > > after

              • Marc Archambault
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 12 3:35 PM
                  I managed to get everything plugged in the order I wanted:
                  OT2 --- TAI 8540 Humidity --- TAI 8515 Wind instrument

                  I'm now using a 2 wire pair. Crossover from the OT2 to the humidity
                  sensor, then straight through to the wind instrument.

                  cmd:devlist
                  1-Wire Bus Scan:
                  203DF400000000F1
                  10A24A1B00080047
                  265DD5A3000000A8
                  1D13E40000000004
                  cmd:wxinfo
                  TEMP:75 WIND 22 AT 0 GUST 0 *

                  But not humidity info.

                  With only the humidity sensor plugged-in, I still don't get humidity
                  data ...

                  cmd:devlist
                  1-Wire Bus Scan:
                  265DD5A3000000A8
                  cmd:wxinfo
                  *

                  Marc

                  > I configured the RJ12 port on the T2 so that you could use standard
                  > (twisted) telephone cable to connect the 1-wire station. But at
                  least
                  > the humidity sensor I've got on hand here is wired straight through
                  (it
                  > has an integrated cable), so you can't plug it in directly. You
                  can
                  > plug it in to the wind instrument and it'll work, though.
                  >
                  > When the bus scan shows the humidity sensor, does the humidity show
                  up
                  > properly in the weather packet?
                  >
                  > Scott

                • Marc Archambault
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
                    I've had the station up for a couple days. The temperature and wind
                    speed appear to be accurate but the wind direction is completely off
                    when connected to the OT2.

                    If I connect the TA8515 to my computer then I get accurate wind
                    directions.

                    Look here: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW8445&last=48

                    It appears that the wind direction (as recorded by the OT2) slowly
                    does a 360 over time, locks into a heading for a day or so, then goes
                    back to a slow 360.

                    Any idea?

                    I noticed when calibrating the wind direction that I never had the
                    same wind direction reading when connected to a PC vs to the OT2. The
                    offset was between 20 and 90 degrees depending on the heading.

                    Any progress with the TAI-8540 humidity sensor?

                    Setup:
                    5.5 W solar panel
                    12VDC 9 Ah SLA battery
                    OpenTracker 2
                    Yaesu VX-2R
                    switching 6V regulator
                    Cushcraft A1483S 3 Element Yagi

                    Thanks,

                    Marc VE5MPA

                    PS: If you can point me in the right direction (files??) I can
                    troubleshoot the code if it comes to that.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
                      No, that's really bizarre. I need to get my own station back up to do
                      some testing.

                      Scott

                      Marc Archambault wrote:

                      > I've had the station up for a couple days. The temperature and wind
                      > speed appear to be accurate but the wind direction is completely off
                      > when connected to the OT2.
                      >
                      > If I connect the TA8515 to my computer then I get accurate wind
                      > directions.
                      >
                      > Look here: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW8445&last=48
                      > <http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW8445&last=48>
                      >
                      > It appears that the wind direction (as recorded by the OT2) slowly
                      > does a 360 over time, locks into a heading for a day or so, then goes
                      > back to a slow 360.
                      >
                      > Any idea?
                      >
                      > I noticed when calibrating the wind direction that I never had the
                      > same wind direction reading when connected to a PC vs to the OT2. The
                      > offset was between 20 and 90 degrees depending on the heading.
                      >
                      > Any progress with the TAI-8540 humidity sensor?
                      >
                      > Setup:
                      > 5.5 W solar panel
                      > 12VDC 9 Ah SLA battery
                      > OpenTracker 2
                      > Yaesu VX-2R
                      > switching 6V regulator
                      > Cushcraft A1483S 3 Element Yagi
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Marc VE5MPA
                      >
                      > PS: If you can point me in the right direction (files??) I can
                      > troubleshoot the code if it comes to that.

                    • Joe Krout
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                        Marc,
                        I am considering putting togeather a 1-wire weather station and ran
                        across your posts. Have you been able to resolve the wind direction
                        and humidity problems you mentioned?

                        Always looking for something else to try.

                        73
                        Joe
                        W0PWJ

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Archambault"