Garmin Etrex

  • g8uve
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6 9:45 AM

      I've recently purchased a New Garmin Etrex ( Base model , Yellow )

      Are there any know issues with the Open Track 2 and the *NEW* Garmin Etrex

      I believe with the TinyTrack 3 an issue is becoming to surface

      ( Not for relevant for this group )

      Any information would be appreciated

      Regards

      David G8UVE
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6 9:59 AM
        Is it the color eTrex? I thought those were USB-only. If so, then
        yeah, it won't work. I haven't heard about any other compatibility
        problems in the serial eTrex units, though.

        Scott

        g8uve wrote:

        > Scott
        >
        > I've recently purchased a New Garmin Etrex ( Base model , Yellow )
        >
        > Are there any know issues with the Open Track 2 and the *NEW* Garmin Etrex
        >
        > I believe with the TinyTrack 3 an issue is becoming to surface
        >
        > ( Not for relevant for this group )
        >
        > Any information would be appreciated
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > David G8UVE
      • g8uve
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6 11:07 AM
          Hi Scott

          That was quick

          Thank you

          The Etrex is yellow in colour and about a month old

          My friends Etrex which is exactly the same but about six months old works ok

          The leads are Garmin leads with a 9 pin D connector

          Both Etrex's work ok with a programme called Autoroute 2007 using the serial port
          on a laptop

          The data can be viewed and stored on the laptop using Hyperterm

          It looks like Garmin may have changed the on board software of the Etrex recently

          Regards

          David G8UVE

          : Is it the color eTrex? I thought those were USB-only. If so, then
          : yeah, it won't work. I haven't heard about any other compatibility
          : problems in the serial eTrex units, though.
          :
          : Scott
          :
          : g8uve wrote:
          : >
          : >
          : > Scott
          : >
          : > I've recently purchased a New Garmin Etrex ( Base model , Yellow )
          : >
          : > Are there any know issues with the Open Track 2 and the *NEW* Garmin Etrex
          : >
          : > I believe with the TinyTrack 3 an issue is becoming to surface
          : >
          : > ( Not for relevant for this group )
          : >
          : > Any information would be appreciated
          : >
          : > Regards
          : >
          : > David G8UVE
          :
          :
          :
          :
          : Yahoo! Groups Links
          :
          :
          :
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7 11:51 AM
            I did a little research and it sounds like the problem is that the newer
            eTrex units require a 'wake up' signal on the serial port. I should be
            able to accommodate that with a firmware change, if I can determine
            exactly what is needed.

            If someone has one of these units and determines that it's not working
            right, I'd be happy to take a look at it and make the required changes.

            Scott

            g8uve wrote:

            > Hi Scott
            >
            > That was quick
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > The Etrex is yellow in colour and about a month old
            >
            > My friends Etrex which is exactly the same but about six months old works ok
            >
            > The leads are Garmin leads with a 9 pin D connector
            >
            > Both Etrex's work ok with a programme called Autoroute 2007 using the
            > serial port
            > on a laptop
            >
            > The data can be viewed and stored on the laptop using Hyperterm
            >
            > It looks like Garmin may have changed the on board software of the Etrex
            > recently
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > David G8UVE

          • g8uve
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7 12:05 PM
              Hi Scott

              I'll respond off List if that's ok

              Regards

              David G8UVE
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
                Hi Scott

                I'm told the Etrex needs a wake up voltage of 5V

                I was playing with an OT1 that Ross G6GVI has an the last couple of days

                His Garmin Etrex worked and mine didn't

                By the way my Garmin software version is 3.51

                The TT3+ had the same problem but was sorted out with a new chip and an update to
                the programming software

                A soon as I hear the problem is sorted I'll be ordering a couple of OT1's

                I know Ross G6GVI is VERY impressed with them

                Regards

                David G8UVE

                :I did a little research and it sounds like the problem is that the newer
                : eTrex units require a 'wake up' signal on the serial port. I should be
                : able to accommodate that with a firmware change, if I can determine
                : exactly what is needed.
                :
                : If someone has one of these units and determines that it's not working
                : right, I'd be happy to take a look at it and make the required changes.
                :
                : Scott
                :
                : g8uve wrote:
                : >
                : >
                : > Hi Scott
                : >
                : > That was quick
                : >
                : > Thank you
                : >
[...]
                : > :
                : > : Scott
                : > :
                : > : g8uve wrote:
                : > : >
                : > : >
                : > : > Scott
                : > : >
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
                  My own eTrex died after spending a 2-day hike in my cargo pocket,
                  frequently submerged in the north fork of the Virgin River in Zion NP.
                  It always worked ok without a wakeup voltage, I think.

                  If you want to send me your eTrex I'll be happy to try it out.
                  Otherwise it might be a little while before I get a chance to test it.

                  Come to think of it, I can try a quick fix and see if that fixes
                  anything. The trick is doing it without breaking the waypoint output
                  feature.

                  Scott

                  g8uve wrote:

                  > Hi Scott
                  >
                  > I'm told the Etrex needs a wake up voltage of 5V
                  >
                  > I was playing with an OT1 that Ross G6GVI has an the last couple of days
                  >
                  > His Garmin Etrex worked and mine didn't
                  >
                  > By the way my Garmin software version is 3.51
                  >
                  > The TT3+ had the same problem but was sorted out with a new chip and an
                  > update to
                  > the programming software
                  >
                  > A soon as I hear the problem is sorted I'll be ordering a couple of OT1's
                  >
                  > I know Ross G6GVI is VERY impressed with them
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > David G8UVE

                • Glen Akins
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
                    It's possible Garmin did a running change to the etrex hardware so that
                    only later production units need the wake up signal. I think I read this
                    on the Nikon D1/D2/D200 forum over at dpreview.com.

                    -Glen