Re: Garmin Timestamp (was: Firmware 54100)

  • Mike Fenske
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6 8:36 AM
      Scott Miller wrote:
      > Ah, I think I know what's going on. GPS time isn't adjusted for leap
      > seconds, so presently the difference between GPS and UTC is about 14
      > seconds. In NMEA mode the GPS receiver does the correction itself, but
      > in Garmin mode it provides the difference as a separate number.

      Sounds like exactly what's going on.

      > The difficulty in applying it is that it's going to take some date/time
      > math to do properly, and that's going to take some code space. I might
      > have to just ignore it for the date portion and accept that around
      > midnight it's going to be off for half a minute.

      I don't see a problem with that. The only reason I turned timestamps on was because of a delayed packed issue we had around here a couple of months ago. Other than that, I rarely look at the timestamps.

      > You can go ahead and log it in the database if you haven't already, or I
      > will when I get a minute. It's definitely a bug.
      >
      > Scott
      I logged it yesterday. Just a thought, but maybe you could add another field to the database to record who reported the bug. That way, if you need more information, you know who to contact.

      Mike
      VE7MKF
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6 9:09 AM
        Done. Knew I was forgetting something!

        The real issue with the Garmin time bug is that it throws off
        timeslotting. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

        Scott

        > I logged it yesterday. Just a thought, but maybe you could add another
        > field to the database to record who reported the bug. That way, if you
        > need more information, you know who to contact.
      • dondorgram
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9 10:01 AM
          Scott:

          I had raised the issue of portB mode settings not being correct in
          my OT2 with 54090 firmware. Looks like you corrected the problem
          with 54100 - really appreciated; however I also have encountered my
          unit dropping back into Auto mode from Garmin mode after operating a
          few days with no problems.

          I was also still having duplicate waypoints filling up my memory in
          my GPSMAP60, but that seems to have been corrected as well.

          Thanks.

          Graham Walker
          VE6GW

          > Ok, thanks for logging the bugs. I think the Garmin -> Auto thing
          might
          > be because of a feature that's there to break out of Garmin mode
          > manually. I think it was control-C's that did it. Maybe it needs
          > guard time, or some other change to make sure it doesn't happen
          > accidentally.
          >
          > I don't know if it's documented, but Garmin mode only supports
          hours,
          > minutes, and seconds because of the way time is represented. It'd
          take
          > too much math to get a Gregorian date out of it. I'm not sure if
          that's
          > the discrepancy you're talking about, but it's something to keep
          in mind.

          > Scott
          >
          > Mike Fenske wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello Scott. Just updated to the latest firmware and see that
          some bugs
          > > have been fixed, namely the MAXRANGE problem and the waypoint
          generation
          > > problem with Mic_E packets & NMEA mode.
          > >
          > > I did some more testing today with smartbeaconing in Garmin mode
          and am
          > > not seeing a beacon on course changes. Also noticed a
          discrepancy on the
          > > timestamp of packets when using Garmin mode. I have entered
          these
          > > problems in the bug tracker database.
          > >
          > > Also, every few days port B will switch from Garmin mode back to
          AUTO.