Re: Garmin Timestamp (was: Firmware 54100)
- Scott Miller wrote:
> Ah, I think I know what's going on. GPS time isn't adjusted for leapSounds like exactly what's going on.
> seconds, so presently the difference between GPS and UTC is about 14
> seconds. In NMEA mode the GPS receiver does the correction itself, but
> in Garmin mode it provides the difference as a separate number.
>I don't see a problem with that. The only reason I turned timestamps on was because of a delayed packed issue we had around here a couple of months ago. Other than that, I rarely look at the timestamps.
> The difficulty in applying it is that it's going to take some date/time
> math to do properly, and that's going to take some code space. I might
> have to just ignore it for the date portion and accept that around
> midnight it's going to be off for half a minute.
>I logged it yesterday. Just a thought, but maybe you could add another field to the database to record who reported the bug. That way, if you need more information, you know who to contact.
> You can go ahead and log it in the database if you haven't already, or I
> will when I get a minute. It's definitely a bug.
- Done. Knew I was forgetting something!
The real issue with the Garmin time bug is that it throws off
timeslotting. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
> I logged it yesterday. Just a thought, but maybe you could add another
> field to the database to record who reported the bug. That way, if you
> need more information, you know who to contact.
I had raised the issue of portB mode settings not being correct in
my OT2 with 54090 firmware. Looks like you corrected the problem
with 54100 - really appreciated; however I also have encountered my
unit dropping back into Auto mode from Garmin mode after operating a
few days with no problems.
I was also still having duplicate waypoints filling up my memory in
my GPSMAP60, but that seems to have been corrected as well.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
> Ok, thanks for logging the bugs. I think the Garmin -> Auto thing
> be because of a feature that's there to break out of Garmin mode
> manually. I think it was control-C's that did it. Maybe it needs
> guard time, or some other change to make sure it doesn't happen
> I don't know if it's documented, but Garmin mode only supports
> minutes, and seconds because of the way time is represented. It'd
> too much math to get a Gregorian date out of it. I'm not sure if
> the discrepancy you're talking about, but it's something to keep
> Mike Fenske wrote:
> > Hello Scott. Just updated to the latest firmware and see that
> > have been fixed, namely the MAXRANGE problem and the waypoint
> > problem with Mic_E packets & NMEA mode.
> > I did some more testing today with smartbeaconing in Garmin mode
> > not seeing a beacon on course changes. Also noticed a
discrepancy on the
> > timestamp of packets when using Garmin mode. I have entered
> > problems in the bug tracker database.
> > Also, every few days port B will switch from Garmin mode back to
> > Haven't seen any pattern to it yet and also haven't had 54100
> > long enough to see if it still happens with this version. If the
> > persists, I will add an entry to the bug database.
> > Everything else working great! Thanks for all your work!
> > Mike Fenske
> > VE7MKF