Re: [tracker2] Firmware 54100

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2007
      Ok, thanks for logging the bugs. I think the Garmin -> Auto thing might
      be because of a feature that's there to break out of Garmin mode
      manually. I think it was control-C's that did it. Maybe it needs a
      guard time, or some other change to make sure it doesn't happen
      accidentally.

      I don't know if it's documented, but Garmin mode only supports hours,
      minutes, and seconds because of the way time is represented. It'd take
      too much math to get a Gregorian date out of it. I'm not sure if that's
      the discrepancy you're talking about, but it's something to keep in mind.

      Scott

      Mike Fenske wrote:

      > Hello Scott. Just updated to the latest firmware and see that some bugs
      > have been fixed, namely the MAXRANGE problem and the waypoint generation
      > problem with Mic_E packets & NMEA mode.
      >
      > I did some more testing today with smartbeaconing in Garmin mode and am
      > not seeing a beacon on course changes. Also noticed a discrepancy on the
      > timestamp of packets when using Garmin mode. I have entered these
      > problems in the bug tracker database.
      >
      > Also, every few days port B will switch from Garmin mode back to AUTO.
      > Haven't seen any pattern to it yet and also haven't had 54100 running
      > long enough to see if it still happens with this version. If the problem
      > persists, I will add an entry to the bug database.
      >
      > Everything else working great! Thanks for all your work!
      >
      > Mike Fenske
      > VE7MKF

    • Mike Fenske
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
        Scott Miller wrote:
        > Ok, thanks for logging the bugs. I think the Garmin -> Auto thing might
        > be because of a feature that's there to break out of Garmin mode
        > manually. I think it was control-C's that did it. Maybe it needs a
        > guard time, or some other change to make sure it doesn't happen
        > accidentally.

        Yes, that could be what is happening.

        > I don't know if it's documented, but Garmin mode only supports hours,
        > minutes, and seconds because of the way time is represented. It'd take
        > too much math to get a Gregorian date out of it. I'm not sure if that's
        > the discrepancy you're talking about, but it's something to keep in mind.

        Here's what I am seeing. Below is the output from "listen -art" on my machine (system clock synchronized just before logging):

        radio: fm VE7MKF-4 to APOT2A via WIDE1-1 WIDE2-1 ctl UI pid=F0(Text) len 30 07:22:19
        /142232h/5^%c/KoO>*"G Tracker2
        radio: fm VE7MKF-4 to APOT2A via WIDE1-1 WIDE2-1 ctl UI pid=F0(Text) len 30 07:23:19
        /142332h/5^%c/KoG>-"G Tracker2

        The timestamp on the packets is about 13 seconds ahead of the actual time. Not really a big deal, just something I noticed so I thought I'd pass it on. If I have the GPS in NMEA mode, the timestamp is right on.

        Mike
        VE7MKF
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
          Ah, I think I know what's going on. GPS time isn't adjusted for leap
          seconds, so presently the difference between GPS and UTC is about 14
          seconds. In NMEA mode the GPS receiver does the correction itself, but
          in Garmin mode it provides the difference as a separate number.

          The difficulty in applying it is that it's going to take some date/time
          math to do properly, and that's going to take some code space. I might
          have to just ignore it for the date portion and accept that around
          midnight it's going to be off for half a minute.

          You can go ahead and log it in the database if you haven't already, or I
          will when I get a minute. It's definitely a bug.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
            Scott Miller wrote:
            > Ah, I think I know what's going on. GPS time isn't adjusted for leap
            > seconds, so presently the difference between GPS and UTC is about 14
            > seconds. In NMEA mode the GPS receiver does the correction itself, but
            > in Garmin mode it provides the difference as a separate number.

            Sounds like exactly what's going on.

            > The difficulty in applying it is that it's going to take some date/time
            > math to do properly, and that's going to take some code space. I might
            > have to just ignore it for the date portion and accept that around
            > midnight it's going to be off for half a minute.

            I don't see a problem with that. The only reason I turned timestamps on was because of a delayed packed issue we had around here a couple of months ago. Other than that, I rarely look at the timestamps.

            > You can go ahead and log it in the database if you haven't already, or I
            > will when I get a minute. It's definitely a bug.
            >
            > Scott
            I logged it yesterday. Just a thought, but maybe you could add another field to the database to record who reported the bug. That way, if you need more information, you know who to contact.

            Mike
            VE7MKF
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
              Done. Knew I was forgetting something!

              The real issue with the Garmin time bug is that it throws off
              timeslotting. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

              Scott

              > I logged it yesterday. Just a thought, but maybe you could add another
              > field to the database to record who reported the bug. That way, if you
              > need more information, you know who to contact.
            • dondorgram
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
                Scott:

                I had raised the issue of portB mode settings not being correct in
                my OT2 with 54090 firmware. Looks like you corrected the problem
                with 54100 - really appreciated; however I also have encountered my
                unit dropping back into Auto mode from Garmin mode after operating a
                few days with no problems.

                I was also still having duplicate waypoints filling up my memory in
                my GPSMAP60, but that seems to have been corrected as well.

                Thanks.

                Graham Walker
                VE6GW