Firmware build 54090 and BMODE settings

  • dondorgram
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20 11:56 AM
      Scott:

      I received the Tracker2 kit in early July and had it going without
      any problems within a few days. It was transfering waypoints to my
      Garmin 60CSx OK.

      However I then changed some of the parameters to see how everything
      worked and started to run into problems. For instance I changed to
      fixed coordinate mode and then back to GPS mode and depending upon
      configuration it would sometimes start beaconing every second! Also
      would not pass on waypoints.

      When I built a Y cable for the B port, I noticed that the BMode
      setting on the configuration had to be "Flow" not "Garmin". I
      checked DISPLAY command using TeraTerm Pro and UI-view terminal mode
      and found that selecting Bmode as Flow in config actually set BMODE
      Garmin.

      Similarly all the other BMode settings except AUTO gave me different
      parameters when I looked used the DISPLAY command. Could there be a
      bit set incorrectly?

      Anyway I figured it could have been that the firmware (it was 54090)
      got corrupted so took ac hance and loaded the ot2.s19 firmware from
      the web. It loaded OK but came up as build 54085. Shouldn't the
      latest on posted have been 54090!

      The unit currently seems to be working OK again; however the BMODE
      settings are still incorrect. With the GPS on PortB I have to set
      the BMODE as "Flow" to get it in Garmin mode.

      There have been other glitches, especially in getting the OT2 to
      respond to the otwincfg program if AMODE was not set to Auto.
      Learned the lesson to alway keep AMODE as AUTO in profile 1, so that
      it would come up "most" of the time.

      Having said that, I really appreciate having the opportunity to try
      it out. It looks very promising. I have looked back over the
      threads and really learned a lot from the discussion.

      Graham VE6GW
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27 2:24 PM
        Did you see the problems only when using otwincfg to configure the unit?
        Sounds like something got corrupted in the configuration. I'll run
        through some tests with the newest version and make sure everything is
        getting set properly.

        As for getting into the config program, yeah, that's always going to be
        a problem because the config program doesn't know what baud rate is in
        use by the target device. A break signal might help, but I took out the
        break signaling because it's not always supported properly by USB/serial
        adapters and introduces porting problems. So it just starts out at 4800
        baud, sends a reset sequence, listens for a response, switches baud
        rates, and tries again.

        The easy fix is just to power cycle the T2. The bootloader always
        starts at the same baud rate and should cause otwincfg to catch immediately.

        Scott

        dondorgram wrote:

        > Scott:
        >
        > I received the Tracker2 kit in early July and had it going without
        > any problems within a few days. It was transfering waypoints to my
        > Garmin 60CSx OK.
        >
        > However I then changed some of the parameters to see how everything
        > worked and started to run into problems. For instance I changed to
        > fixed coordinate mode and then back to GPS mode and depending upon
        > configuration it would sometimes start beaconing every second! Also
        > would not pass on waypoints.
        >
        > When I built a Y cable for the B port, I noticed that the BMode
        > setting on the configuration had to be "Flow" not "Garmin". I
        > checked DISPLAY command using TeraTerm Pro and UI-view terminal mode
        > and found that selecting Bmode as Flow in config actually set BMODE
        > Garmin.
        >
        > Similarly all the other BMode settings except AUTO gave me different
        > parameters when I looked used the DISPLAY command. Could there be a
        > bit set incorrectly?
        >
        > Anyway I figured it could have been that the firmware (it was 54090)
        > got corrupted so took ac hance and loaded the ot2.s19 firmware from
        > the web. It loaded OK but came up as build 54085. Shouldn't the
        > latest on posted have been 54090!
        >
        > The unit currently seems to be working OK again; however the BMODE
        > settings are still incorrect. With the GPS on PortB I have to set
        > the BMODE as "Flow" to get it in Garmin mode.
        >
        > There have been other glitches, especially in getting the OT2 to
        > respond to the otwincfg program if AMODE was not set to Auto.
        > Learned the lesson to alway keep AMODE as AUTO in profile 1, so that
        > it would come up "most" of the time.
        >
        > Having said that, I really appreciate having the opportunity to try
        > it out. It looks very promising. I have looked back over the
        > threads and really learned a lot from the discussion.
        >
        > Graham VE6GW

      • J. Lance Cotton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27 2:31 PM
          on 7/27/2007 4:24 PM Scott Miller said the following:
          > ...I took out the break signaling because it ... introduces porting problems.

          Is this an indication that we might see a Linux version of the config
          program any time soon?

          --
          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
          joe@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27 2:38 PM
            On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

            > on 7/27/2007 4:24 PM Scott Miller said the following:
            > > ...I took out the break signaling because it ... introduces porting problems.
            >
            > Is this an indication that we might see a Linux version of the config
            > program any time soon?

            I thought "porting" meant moving from one Windows version to the
            next, every couple of years. ;-)

            --
            Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/> XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
            The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 27 2:46 PM
              The problem has always been trying to maintain multiple versions - I've
              hardly got time to keep up with one version. I'm slowly working toward
              a cleaner system, though, that'll be object oriented and abstract the
              configuration more from the UI. At least that way it'll be easier to
              move the core functions to a new platform. Maybe write a command line
              tool that'd work from XML files, too.

              For the T2, the command console IS the primary cross-platform
              configuration tool at this point. You can paste configurations in from
              text files (assuming flow control is on) and upload firmware with XMODEM.

              There have been volunteer ports of the config program in the past, but
              no one wants to make maintenance of it a regular gig. Heck, I even
              tried to hire out that piece a while back and it failed completely. I
              think the guy decided the money wasn't worth it.

              Scott