More tweaks

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16 8:45 PM
      Ok, buffer handling is a little better now. Even if the channel is busy and
      it's got to queue packets to digi, it'll still pass them to KISS or the GPS,
      at least until the buffer fills up completely. Once the channel is clear,
      it'll send the queued packets.

      There are still some improvements to be made, but it works just fine as a
      digi while you're busy doing whatever in KISS mode. I even sent messages to
      myself via the unit I was using for KISS, and it didn't seem to mind - it
      digis the packet first (if the channel is clear), then passes it to the
      host. Not sure if any other KISS TNCs do that or not.

      Still no configuration option for KISS or digipeating, so if you want
      updated versions of either, let me know. I'm not going to post every update
      to the website quite yet - maybe later, when more people have actually got
      their boards built.

      Speaking of which, who HAS got their board built so far? Anyone not
      received it yet, that should have?

      Scott
    • Curt Mills
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16 9:04 PM
        On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 scott@... wrote:

        > Speaking of which, who HAS got their board built so far? Anyone not
        > received it yet, that should have?

        Was expecting to see mine in the mail mon or tues. Never showed.

        --
        Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16 9:06 PM
          Mine arrived yesterday. Just now finished up the soldering. Now to go get soft/firmware. One question. Maybe I am just not as adept at electronics as I think I am but which way does D3 go? I didn't see a stripe on mine.

          It appears to be a reverse polarity protection diode so I am testing it without D3.

          I'll let you know how testing goes.

          -Brad

          ________________________________

[...]

          Craft hobby <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=YqiuyVwjnQFdynnsmMwVWg> Hobby and craft supply <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=VduRJqNqUo9QkUiTI-knAA> Ham radio <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=sl_TRqZTiP_WHSLe6P3ybA>

          ________________________________
        • Jason Rausch
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16 9:17 PM
            --- scott@... wrote:

            > it
            > digis the packet first (if the channel is clear),
            > then passes it to the
            > host. Not sure if any other KISS TNCs do that or
            > not.

            Hmm, I'm not sure. My guess is no, because most TNCs,
            when in KISS mode are simply a modem and rely 100% on
            the master device ie. computer, PIC, whatever.

            > Still no configuration option for KISS or
            > digipeating, so if you want
            > updated versions of either, let me know. I'm not
            > going to post every update
            > to the website quite yet - maybe later, when more
            > people have actually got
            > their boards built.

            Cool.

            > Speaking of which, who HAS got their board built so
            > far?

            You already know mine is done and working, but for the
            record, yes I am up and going as of monday night.

            Jason KE4NYV
            www.ke4nyv.com
            RPC Electronics
            www.rpc-electronics.com
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16 9:31 PM
              Whoops. I'll add that to the assembly list. It's not polarized - it's a
              bidirectional device. Eventually I'll probably ship it with a
              unidirectional TVS, which should protect it from reverse polarity, but this
              is what I had on hand. It'll conduct either direction if the voltage goes
              over 30 volts.

              The resettable fuse works, though - I've shorted things out a couple of
              times, and only managed to make it a little warm.

              Going to go upload the new instructions now...

              Scott

              _____

[...]

              Craft
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and
              +craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=YqiuyVwjnQFdynnsmMwVWg> hobby
              Hobby
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w
              2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=VduRJqNqUo9QkUiTI-knAA>
              and craft supply Ham
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+c
              raft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=sl_TRqZTiP_WHSLe6P3ybA> radio

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              " on the web.

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Heaton, Brad
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16 9:58 PM
                Thanks. I am used to diodes being unidirectional.

                I loaded up the basic firmware, plugged it into a Relm radio I had laying here and it got to findU first packet! DCSAR-5.
                Excellent.

                Need some sleep now. I will work on it again after work tomorrow. I'm going to try KISS with UI-View next I think.

                -Brad

                ________________________________

[...]

              • Brian B. Riley (N1BQ)
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17 5:54 AM
                  Mine hasn't arrived yet. I haven't been to the POo yet today though.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17 8:36 AM
                    That *is* unusually slow for first-class mail. You're at 13801 - 168th St.
                    NE, right?

                    Scott

                  • Curt, WE7U
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 17 8:56 AM
                      On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 scott@... wrote:

                      > That *is* unusually slow for first-class mail. You're at 13801 - 168th St.
                      > NE, right?

                      Yes, and the previous two packages you sent me, which were very
                      recent (last few weeks), got here within 2 or 3 days.