Re: [tracker2] TCPIP Network TNC

  • Mike Fenske
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 4:35 AM
      zl1vfo wrote:
      > Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'll try anyway.
      >
      > Does anyone know of a low power method of getting APRS data to/from a
      > radio to a TCPIP network - a sort of TCPIP/TNC combination.
      >
      > I was thinking of perhaps something similar to a tracker2 connected
      > via a serial port to a modified WRT54G.
      > Then I could have UI-View talk to it using AGWPE network connection.
      >
      > Alternatively, a 'module' that converts RS232 to/from TCPIP could also
      > be a possibility on a wired network.
      >
      > The idea is to save having one extra PC running all the time - a
      > Tracker2 WRT54G combination uses a lot less power, possibly all from a
      > 12V source, and has the added bonus that one could possibly link to it
      > via the 2.4GHz side.
      >
      > So, does anyone know of a link to a bit of firm/software that can be
      > crammed into the WRT54G that might achive this?
      >
      > Just throwing the idea out there - I'm not too sure how easy/hard this
      > would be to achieve...
      >
      > -Ian ZL1VFO

      Well, how about something like this:

      http://www.siteplayer.com/telnet/index.html

      I have never used one, but it sounds like it may work. Also, you have a good idea with the WRT54G. You can use this software to connect an RS-232 port to TCP/IP network:

      http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/

      It works very well. Not sure about getting it loaded on an WRT54G. I have been thinking about that myself. I run OpenWRT (whiterussian 0.6) on mine, but don't have a cross-compiler for the WRT54G on my linux box. Have a look here:

      http://wiki.openwrt.org/BuildingPackagesHowTo

      Hope this helps,

      Mike Fenske
      VE7MKF
    • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5 7:08 AM
        I wrote code a few years ago that used a rabbit semiconductor chip (their C compiler and TCP stack), but it couldn't keep up with the aprs stream.  Now with filtered feeds, it probably would do fine.  I'll have to see if I can dig up the source code, but I don't give that good odds.

        there is another critter called a siteplayer that is also interesting.

        On 7/5/07, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

        On Jul 5, 2007, at 5:59 AM, zl1vfo wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a low power method of getting APRS data to/from a
        > radio to a TCPIP network - a sort of TCPIP/TNC combination.

        There are rs232-to-ethernet and rs232-to-wifi solutions out there -
        Lantronix has several (www.lantronix.com), and there are others.
        Using one of these would assume that you've got some computer
        somewhere on the 'net that would run the Igate application, as these
        devices just give a computer a remote serial port using the network.
        I don't know if one of these would be noticeably cheaper than a wrt54gl.

        If you need something completely standalone, i.e. the box in question
        needs to make a connection directly to APRS-IS, then something like
        the wrt54gl or maybe a slug (NSLU2?) would be a small, cheap option.
        I'm fairly sure I've seen where Igate apps have been ported to the
        wrt54g.

        If you're inclined to hardware hacking, it is possible to interface a
        microcontroller directly to ethernet. Here's an example:

        http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml

        -Jason
        kg4wsv

        --
        In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 9:28 AM
          On 7/5/07, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

          > If you need something completely standalone, i.e. the box in question
          > needs to make a connection directly to APRS-IS, then something like
          > the wrt54gl or maybe a slug (NSLU2?) would be a small, cheap option.
          > I'm fairly sure I've seen where Igate apps have been ported to the
          > wrt54g.

          Check in with the guys at WetNet http://www.wetnet.net and look into
          the NSLUG. They have hacked the NSLU and put DigiNed onboard. It might
          do what you are looking for...

          There's one running in the Puget Sound area currently.
          http://aprs.he.fi/?call=SKAGIT

        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5 8:55 PM
            I was thinking of building something like this as a plug-n-play IGate for commercial tracking applications.  Haven't gotten around to exploring the concept further, though.  I was planning to use the OpenTRAC protocol which would have the added advantage of being able to use UDP, though I guess you could do that with APRS if you tweaked the server software a bit.  It lets you just spray packets at one or more servers without worrying about retries and maintaining connections.

            Scott

            On Jul 5, 2007, at 5:59 AM, zl1vfo wrote:

            > Does anyone know of a low power method of getting APRS data to/from a
            > radio to a TCPIP network - a sort of TCPIP/TNC combination.

            There are rs232-to-ethernet and rs232-to-wifi solutions out there -
            Lantronix has several (www.lantronix. com), and there are others.
            Using one of these would assume that you've got some computer
            somewhere on the 'net that would run the Igate application, as these
            devices just give a computer a remote serial port using the network.
            I don't know if one of these would be noticeably cheaper than a wrt54gl.

            If you need something completely standalone, i.e. the box in question
            needs to make a connection directly to APRS-IS, then something like
            the wrt54gl or maybe a slug (NSLU2?) would be a small, cheap option.
            I'm fairly sure I've seen where Igate apps have been ported to the
            wrt54g.

            If you're inclined to hardware hacking, it is possible to interface a
            microcontroller directly to ethernet. Here's an example:

            http://tuxgraphics. org/electronics/ 200606/article06 061.shtml

            -Jason
            kg4wsv

          • Jason Winningham
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6 4:12 AM
              On Jul 5, 2007, at 10:55 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

              > the added advantage of being able to use UDP

              xastir has a UDP packet injector client and will accept UDP packets
              on its server port.

              -Jason
              kg4wsv